Newb Question - Are there minimum requirements for boating in the ocean??

pharmhand3

Recruit
Hey all! Boating Newb (relatively speaking) here. I now have one season of boating under my skipper's hat after purchasing a Monterey 214FS bowrider early last year. I live in the middle of the US (specifically Missouri), with plenty of lakes to play in. Colleagues tell me that some like to get out in the Mississippi River (which is closer), but the wife says 'hell no' as she can't get past the thought of all the crap (no pun intended) and other pollutants that are probably in the water.

But let me get to the point of my question. I may be needing to change jobs, and one job I'm looking at is in Southern California, in the Los Angelas area. I looked around on Google Maps and saw a few lakes, but nothing like what we have here. Kinda disappointed really and wondering if I should seel the boat if we move there. My true question is... am I looking at this too narrowly? If the weather is calm, can a boat like mine be taken out in the ocean shallows? I'm thinking No, but I really just don't know. Thoughts?

If I'm wrong, and the boat is fine for the ocean, than what additional things do I need to think about/consider?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Newb Question - Are there minimum requirements for boating in the ocean??

Welcome Aboard!
Being a ex SoCal native..
Id bring the boat..There is lots of near shore fishing to be done all around SoCal.
There is halibut right off the beach from El Segundo all the way down to Torrance beach. Same area holds Calico bass and around Palos Verdes in the kelp beds, huge White Sea bass..
Also, you can launch at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro and cruise LA Harbor, or head over to Long Beach and put around the Queen Mary..very enjoyable days & memories for me.
There are some near shore oil rigs off Huntington, but I would definitly pick my days and watch the weather. A Bow Rider with waves breaking over the bow (and thus in the boat) is not exactly ideal.

Also, if you sell it, decent boats in SoCal demand a premium, unless you find somebody really down on his luck and unloading toys due to the real estate market & economy.

Best of luck, let us know what happens with you.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

VERY near shore with excellent weather conditions. Snap-on cover for the bow. More than one bilge pump, and one should be well oversized.

Anything can be done if you work up to it, but bow riders are not a good choice for offshore use. They aren't self bailing, and burying the bow in a wave can swamp you.

My .02

QC

Supreme Mariner

Also . . . we head 4 hours East and boat on the Colorado River and her amazing lakes. Clear, clean water and beautiful scenery ;)

We make long weekends out of it, early and late season camping is decent, but during the hottest months we stay in rental houses, rental trailers, hotels etc. Many SoCal boaters have weekend houses, mobile homes and travel trailers.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Also . . . we head 4 hours East and boat on the Colorado River and her amazing lakes. Clear, clean water and beautiful scenery ;)

Yep, QC is right....theres also quit a bit of scenery around spring break..if you are brave enough to put up with the young ens..lol

QC

Supreme Mariner

quite a bit of scenery around spring break..if you are brave enough to put up with the young ens..lol
We were brave enough just last weekend. Season is in full swing . . .