How to finish floor?

Demonical

Seaman
I have a 1991 Lund aluminum boat that I am restoring.

First Part: Flooring
I removed the old plywood flooring and carpet and have had the floor replaced with aluminum plate. Now I want to put some kind of finish on the aluminum, to make the floor a bit softer, less slippery, and something that will finish off the look, enhance the look of the boat.

I am considering getting a spray-in type truck bedliner, and having it dyed dark grey. Anybody have any experience with this, that might be able to give objective advice?
There's an outfit in town that sprays Armorthane linings.

There is also material I have seen at Barry J's Marine, that comes in rolls and it can be laid down. It's kind of a rubberized carpet type material. I do not understand just how it is applied, whether it is glued on or what. I'm wondering if anybody can comment on it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Second Part: Paint
The paint on my old boat is blistering and scratched from rubbing on docks and general old age. What's the best way to remove the old paint?

I kinda have the idea that I'd like to leave the boat, bare aluminum, unless somebody knows why that's a bad idea...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How to finish floor?

welcome to iboats!!!!

We have a few :D aluminum restorations going on here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090

Do a google search for durabak for a deck covering too. Aluminum must be properly prepped to accept and hold any coating or paint.

Demonical

Seaman

Here's 'before' pics.

416RM004.jpg

416RM008.jpg

416RM007.jpg

And what the boat is looking like today.

Boat002.jpg

Boat005.jpg

Boat010.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander

That's a Great job!
I like the diamond plate console.
Maybe you should consider using Deckadence. It's a marine 'carpet' that is completely waterproof and cleanable. It's expensive but worth it. You don't need to glue it down.
http://www.marineflooring.net/

Demonical

Seaman

^ I cannot take credit for the workmanship, only the 'concept'. I had the work done by a professional aluminum fab shop. The floor is 1/4" aluminum plate; the lower floor area was cut in a single piece.

I believe the boat has been strengthened a lot. It will easily outlast me. :eek:

But you can see that I need something to dress that aluminum, to make it softer on the eyes, feet etc...

I have seen a type of rubberized/vinyl boat carpetting. I think it might have been in new Starcraft aluminum boats? I know that I asked about the product and was told it is sold in rolls, that can be installed by the Dd.I.Y.er.

The other issue is to clean off the old paint from the hull and then refinish that.

I bought new seats, that are 2-tone grey, so I want to put down some type of grey floor finish and either leave the hull bare, or re-paint it in a grey colour.

Demonical

Seaman

I looked at bedliner today and pretty much have written that off, as an option. I've pretty much resolved that good old fashioned marine carpet is what I will use to cover the aluminum deck. I have to check out suppliers in this area, see what carpet is available and go from there.

I will remove the seat pedestal bases, cut & fit the carpet, then glue it down.

Maybe this conclusion was too obvious. :confused:

Today I also bought some gel paint stripper, the stuff you brush on, leave 15 minutes. I will give that a shot to strip the old paint.

Jeep Man

Commander

I looked at bedliner today and pretty much have written that off, as an option. I've pretty much resolved that good old fashioned marine carpet is what I will use to cover the aluminum deck. I have to check out suppliers in this area, see what carpet is available and go from there.

I will remove the seat pedestal bases, cut & fit the carpet, then glue it down.

Maybe this conclusion was too obvious. :confused:

Today I also bought some gel paint stripper, the stuff you brush on, leave 15 minutes. I will give that a shot to strip the old paint.

Consider using marine vinyl, available at some local flooring stores and at iboats store. There is also vinyl deck covering for your residential deck. Probably would be fine for your application as well.

Demonical

Seaman

^ Thank you. I have not had time to check the local (Edmonton) boat supply shops.
The last few days I have been working on some wiring issues. The console switch panel was cracked on all the screw holes. I had a blank Lund plate the identical size, so I took the old switch panel apart and built a new one using that blank.
I also installed a Lowrance flasher in the dash. I have some of the wiring complete, but still have to install and add the transducer wiring into the circuit.

Tonight I have been working on stripping the old paint from the hull.

I have had the idea that once I got the old paint off, that I would buff the aluminum and leave it bare. But time will tell, maybe I'll decide it needs paint.

I have bought 2-tone grey seats and whatever flooring material I buy, carpet or vinyl, will also be grey. If I paint the boat I could go with almost any dark colour and it would contrast nicely with the grey carpet and seats.

Well back to the hull... :)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Plain old nasty spray-on oven cleaner is aces for removing old paint, but follow the directions carefully.

theseaghost78

Recruit

I like the look of the alum with the truck plate, but that might get a little hot on the feet in the summer and cold during spring and fall fishing.

SeaGhost

Demonical

Seaman

I used the pressure washer to blast off small bits of paint, especially around edges and rivets.

Here's pics of the Paintless Lund.

FYI, This boat is a 1991 Lund 1600 Fury, since I'm not sure I've mentioned that. Engine is a 60hp Evinrude VRO.

Boat002-1.jpg

The new Lowrance Flasher and switch panel that I fabbed up.

I am going to buff the hull. I'll try to find a nice buffing type wheel that will run on my 4-1/2" angle grinder... if available. Otherwise I might be hand buffing.

Boat001-1.jpg

Boat005-1.jpg

Boat003-1.jpg

Boat004-1.jpg

Demonical

Seaman

Ordered Bayshore marine carpet, 'Smoke' coloured. I am told, the best adhesive to use is Permatex brand, spray adhesive.

Heading out on holidays so won't get to finish the carpet until July.

Demonical

Seaman

Put down Bayshore grey carpet. I used a spray-on adhesive.

Yesterday I got the re-circulating aerator pump installed in the live well and fed the wires out, prepatory to connecting them.
I also got my battery control switch hooked up. I still have to secure it. I will mount it on the transom, and I need to get a cover for the auxiliary battery.

Kimberly2010075.jpg

View from the bow.

Kimberly2010076.jpg

Aux battery and switch.

Kimberly2010077.jpg

Bayshore, grey carpet. Note: wires sticking out from livewell.

I have ordered a new tarp, through iBoats, Lund decals from eBay, and registration numbers from another source.

Well, gotta go work on the old girl some more... :)