How to fasten clear vinyl sheets to plastic lattice?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'm trying to protect the neighborhood cats from the coming winter.

I installed plastic lattice, the one with the smaller diamond shaped holes on a porch that had existing wooden railings.

I used the proper channel groved tracks that match the lattice, which supports and frames it out nicely.

I bought thick vinyl sheets that are normally used to cover a table cloth.

What can I use to adhere the vinyl sheets to the lattice? Some type of compatible glue, two sided tape, silicone, construction adhesive? Whatever I use, it needs to be clear and adhere or fuse itself to both the plastic and the vinyl.

The plastic sheets are vinyl and all I can find on the lattice is that they use recycled plastic.

The clear vinyl sheets will be installed on the inside so it won't be noticeable from the outside.

It's too difficult and too late to get the edges of the vinyl behind the channels, I mounted them with screws through the channels before I put the lattice in the tracks. So, sticking the vinyl to the plastic lattice is my only thought.

Any ideas would be appreciated....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Most "plastic" glues tend to melt things

I'm thinking maybe using furring strips/ lattice. Wrap the vinyl around the wood a couple of times and mechanically attach to your frame work.

Or staple the vinyl to the lattice work and cover the seams and edges with a piece of wood to retain.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Most "plastic" glues tend to melt things

I'm thinking maybe using furring strips/ lattice. Wrap the vinyl around the wood a couple of times and mechanically attach to your frame work.

Or staple the vinyl to the lattice work and cover the seams and edges with a piece of wood to retain.
I like the furring strip idea! Seems a lot better than messing with adhesives.

The lattice is plastic. I don't think I can staple into that, or can I? I'm gonna give that a try. Can't hurt to try!

foodfisher

Captain
I like the furring strip idea! Seems a lot better than messing with adhesives.

The lattice is plastic. I don't think I can staple into that, or can I? I'm gonna give that a try. Can't hurt to try!
Mechanical fastening will hasten the the demise of the lattice. Expansion and contraction ( heat and cold) will create cracks at attaching points.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Tie-wraps…zip-ties
Uh, duh! Why didn't I think of that?????
And I'm an electrician!!!!! And...I have bags full of them.

And to really prove I'm losing it, that's how I held the plastic on last winter, but there was no lattice. Now there's lattice so I guess my mind just took a different path. I was in carpenter mode.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Why don't you just build a frame that the clear plastic can be installed on, then in the spring you simply remove them and store them?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Why don't you just build a frame that the clear plastic can be installed on, then in the spring you simply remove them and store them?
The frame idea is a good one. Similar to the furring strip idea.
Though I would probably leave it up permanently. The vinyl shouldn't be very noticeable since it will be mounted on the inside and the lattice is the type with the smaller diamonds.

I appreciate all these great ideas from everyone.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Not sure how much lattice you are dealing with but you can use 2 pieces of lalttice and sandwich the plastic inbetween them.Then your concern would be how to join the sandwich pieces of lattice.Probably only need 6 nut/bolts/washer set ups and a drill for each lattice sandwich.Couple of bucks at home depot.Charlie

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If you use Polyethylene or Polypropylene you can wrap the film around the edges of the lattice and heat shrink in place with a heat gun. Will stretch very tight and confirm to the shape of the lattice. Tack in place with furring strips

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ok, got it up.
I didn't think staples would penetrate, much less hold in the plastic lattice, but they did!
That lattice is a sort of soft plastic, so the staples worked.

It's funny because I had previously thought about staples, but didn't think they would work at all. My wife asked about staples and I thought, maybe I should test it on a scrap piece and it worked!

Hope this experience helps others...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I should have mentioned, I use stainless staples. They don't rust... Sorry.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I should have mentioned, I use stainless staples. They don't rust... Sorry.
Oh well, I used what I had. Stainless would have been good. We'll see how it weathers.

Thanks for the staple idea. I really didn't think they were going to penetrate the plastic. Then my wife suggested the same thing.
I said to myself, I gotta listen to these people!