How to cut wax

hap777

Cadet
I just bought an older 16' fibreglass ski boat. It's got some deep scratches on the outside of it from (I assume) rubbing against docks. A boating guy told me the best way to remove them wud be to cut wax them out, but i really don't know how to do that. Can anyone here give me step by step instructions?
I COULD email you a picture or two if that wud help you help me.
Thanks alot

alldodge

Staff member
"wud" hum I think your saying "would" ?

Have not heard "cut wax" term
Maybe rubbing compound

Post a pic here by using the "attach files" button on the bottom left

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like rubbing compound is what is used.------But if scratches are deep you could make it worse as far as cosmetic appearance.-----On a " new to you boat " likely there are other thing to worry about.------Inspect transom / stringers / motor.------Leave the cosmetics till last.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
The depth of the scratch will determine the process to fix it.
Does the scratch still have the same color as surrounding area?
Is it deep and past the color?
Never heard of "cut wax them out".
Maybe he was referring to a fine compound and buff gently? That could work if the scratches are more of a shallow scrap.

shrew

Lieutenant
You don't 'cut' wax. Mild abrasives suspended in pastes or liquids are referred to as 'cutting agents'. Rubbing compound is a example of a liquid or paste with an aggressive amount of cutting agents. Some are combined in wax, such as 'cleaner and wax', which is a wax with a mild cutting agent.

From mild to aggressive in descending order:
Cleaner and wax
Gel Coat Restorer
Rubbing Compound

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How about ---" jewelers rouge "-------Or my favourite for stainless material.-----Diamond polishing compound rubbed in with soft ladies underwear.------Usually get a chuckle when I mention to use that.