How to contact a moderator.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
When browsing the iBoata forum, from time to time you come up to a thread that is in the wrong forum. Often it is a request for help, and more specific help would be seen in a different forum.
Current case in point: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...rs/10274912-1992-johnson-200hp-spark-problems

What is the proper way to alert the mods that a move would be beneficial?
1- MYOB and a mod will eventually find it
2- Pick a mod by any random method or one you memember and do the @modname? Is there a list of mods for the general users?
3- Are mods 'assigned ' ( not the best term, but you get the idea) to specific forums and if so is the a list of who vs what forum?
4- Is there a user group for mods that can be used to alert all? Like @mods
5- Something else

Just trying to give back a little and help things move along.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use the flag function button at the bottom right of any post and report as you have here

Take note of who the Mods are, look for our posts and by clicking our user name beside a post, you'll be taken to our profile. Once there you can send us a PrivateMessage (PM) about the post you are 'reporting'

The @ notify feature would work, but be less 'direct' way to contact us, but would work.

We are all Mods over all the forums, but some spend more time and post in various forums/sub-forums based on our knowledge/experience/interests.

Thanks for asking

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Flagging is the best way. All Mods get the notice regardless of where we are in forum and once the flag is handled it is reset on our end. We have close to around the clock coverage.

The other ways are sent to whichever Mod is chosen and if he isn't online, in the forum or email isn't active, the wait could be a while.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I was going to suggest breaking a rule. :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
Flagging is the best way. All Mods get the notice regardless of where we are in forum and once the flag is handled it is reset on our end. We have close to around the clock coverage.

Would it be acceptable to use the flag button for simple things like, wrong area, maybe a unique skill set needed here and maybe the Mods know who to contact?

Fun Times

Staff member
We have close to around the clock coverage.
Plus when achris is online, we're covered into the next day at times.... Perth Australia is ahead of Los Angeles by 15 hours.:D
Perth (UTC+8) Los Angeles (UTC-7)

I believe clicking on the Flag icon seems to work the best for us all.

And our thanks to all of you for helping out!!!
Though there may be many of us lurking around, we can't be everywhere, so we do rely on all of you for additional help.

GA_Boater

We get wrong area, old thread and can you delete my double post, etc. flags all the time.

Flagging for a skill set might not be best. We have newer members with knowledge in particular areas and we don't know about them yet.

alldodge

Staff member
Always was hesitant using a "flag" just because I looked at it as bad news, so instead of flag use it as a message to Mods, cool

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I use the flag button quite often...

In fact, I think I will "flag" this topic!

:D

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Since we are still at it, perhaps the text that pops up when the flag button is pressed seems to be for rule violations. Perhaps it can be modified. Here is what it says

"The flag a post feature is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Since we are still at it, perhaps the text that pops up when the flag button is pressed seems to be for rule violations. Perhaps it can be modified. Here is what it says

"The flag a post feature is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts."

Just use the flag button, it works.

GA_Boater

Just use the flag button, it works.

Agreed. If a member flags any post, we look at the flag and the reason. Any necessary Mod action is decided at that time.

We look at so many posts daily and sometimes fresh eyes work better. Also, we can't look at every post, so more eyes help us keep the forum on track. Over the years we've found members to be priceless when it comes to weeding out things that don't belong.

Thanks. :thumb:

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
;)

... sorry. I just couldn't resist :biggrin-new:

Dont be sorry, its there to bring a smile.
I do tend to overthink think things. Both a problem and a good thing. My wife made a shirt with that saying.

Last edited: