How to build wooden livewell?

jonboatbassin

Seaman
Ive got a 16 jon boat that has a small livewell and battery storage inside the rear bench. I'd like to make a larger livewell for it so I can keep more fish alive in it.<br /><br />I read on a post of someone making a baitwell out of plywood and fiberglass which I never really thought about. Could someone give me a step by step on how to go about doing this and making it water tight.<br /><br />Thanks alot

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to build wooden livewell?

i am a jonboater too and would like to find out how the best way to add a livewell to my 14'er.... maybe someone will be able to help us out...

jonboatbassin

Seaman

it might be easier for you to get a livewell tank from a place like www.kvesurplus.com (i think thats it) if you've got more options on where to put it in your boat.<br /><br />they've got several sizes from what I remember.<br /><br />my problem is ive got limited space in the rear of the boat w/ the console and all so ive got to squeeze it in the bench and still use the same lids that Ive already got in place.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You should be able to build the livewell out of 1/2 inch ply, and lay up 2 or 3 layers of woven cloth with epoxy and be done with it. Maybe some sort of durable paint for the final finish. Or, you could go get a book on fiberglass mold making, and build a mold and make just a fiberglass livewell of the exact dimension you need. Good luck with it...

envy83

Seaman

or just buy a cooler and aerator from Walmart for $15. Sorry, but building a mould seems like overkill for a feature that amounts to a bucket.

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

in a small boat coolers take up floor space and gives you something else to have to remember and walk around in the boat... i am planning on extending my rear bench just enough to accomidate one...i am looking into the liners and hatches in cabela's/bass pro and going from there... i have one of those portable Tahoe rig livewell out of the bps/cabella's but have the same stiutation as the cooler...takes up floor space that i dont have...

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Sorry, but building a mould seems like overkill for a feature that amounts to a bucket.
Very true, but then taking a shower seems like overkill when you are just going to get dirty again. Part of the joy of building a boat for your purpose is that the final result will work the most efficiently for what you want. A cooler in a jon boat is not the ticket. Lets let the man set his rig up the way he wants to, thats why he is here....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

build box to size needed and line it with a pond<br />liner from a home store...

jonboatbassin

Seaman

envy- i've got a really big cooler, biggest they sell at walmart i think, w/ an aeration system that ive used as my backup livewell like someone else said the floor space is limited in the boat with a large front deck built in the front, 4-5 tackleboxes and the console.<br /><br />i did get a box built that fits the open space in the seat perfect last night before work. Is there a way to line the inside with a fiberglass material or do I have to make it slightly smaller and use it as a mold?

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jonboat..<br />just wondering how you came out on your project?? i am getting ready to try so i will post back and let you know...

jonboatbassin

Seaman

It hasnt gotten any further than the box that I made to fit the spot. Let me know how you line yours and everything, I dont know the first thing about fiberglass or whatever you use to seal it so Im lost.

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am just going to order one of those liners out of cabela's/bps and build my spot to fit that....and then plumb it up with an aereator and overflow....and just a plwood lid...<br /><br />i am giong to work on it next week so i will post back when i get it started...

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 15' Gregor V-hull. I built a livewell for it like the type your talking about.<br />I ended up making the middle bench seat into a livewell/storage area. I also put in a front deck that goes from the tip of boat and extends over the front bench seat. There is also a rear deck that covers the rear bench seat and extends to the back of the boat. I removed all the wood bench seat covers and the foam that was underneath (obviously safety is not my first priority). I installed lids over the empty seat areas and now use them for storage. The gas tank and batteries are also installed under the rear deck that have there own lids so they can be accessed.<br />Now for the livewell:<br />My middles bench seat is about 15" wide and the length is roughly 5'.<br />Inside the bench it was partitioned off on each side with aluminum walls that were about 12" from the side of the boat. So that left me with an aluminum box that was about 15" wide X 3'. I used the area that was partioned off on each side of the boat as storage areas.<br />Since the bottom of the boat had a slight "V" shape to it I built it so it up with wood so it would be level at the bottom.<br />I drilled a hole at the bottom of the aluminum wall that faced the rear of the boat. I installed the plumbing fittings. I used 3/4" pvc pipe fittings but I think you can buy actual livewell plumbing so the drain plugs will fit better. <br />I than ran a pipe to the back of the boat and hooked it up to a bilge pump and ran the plumbing to the pump out the rear of the boat and as close to the bottom of the boat as possible so the level of the water would be higher than the pump.<br />I than drilled a small hole in the aluminum seat wall that faced the front of the boat and ran a couple wires out that so I could hook up an aerator in the livewell (I have a small battery in the front of the boat to run the aerator. You will probablly need to run the wires out the rear or in the direction where your battery is installed).<br />Now it was time for the fiberglass. I really didn't have much experience in using fiberglass and it ended up being a stinky mess (wear gloves and a respirator). <br />Precut the glass mats to the size that you need.<br />Mix the fiberglass in a large disposable container.<br />Dunk each piece of glass mat in the liquid and apply it in the livewell. Use a paintbrush to brush over the mats so it will adhere to the wood/aluminum and also so the liquid gets worked in to any pores and cracks/crevices.<br />Try and mix only enough of the fiberglass liquid for one application. <br />Make sure the drain for the livewell doesn't get fiberglass in it.<br />The first layer is the hardest to put on since the glass wants to sag and air bubbles will want to form. Pop the bubbles because they are a biotch to sand down.<br />Let the first layer dry until its tacky and repeat the first step.<br />I applied three layers of fiberglass mats.<br />After the glass was completely installed I screwed in 2"x2" wood studs around the top (for a lip) of the well and screwed 1/4" plexi glass to the 2"x2's" so the water wouldn't splash out (a large hole was cut out of the plexiglass of course). I also rubber coated the wood with automotive undercoating so it would be protected from the water.<br />I glued a piece of marine carpet and wrapped it around the old bench seat for a lid. I used a hand saw to cut the seat into three sections and installed hinges to it. The middle seat now has the livewell underneath and two seperate compartments on each side of the well.<br />I've used my livewell for a couple years now and it works great.<br />My boat has a 25 hp Johnson and it will still push the boat fairly well when the livewell is full. My livewell will hold about 15 gallons of water. <br />Depending on the size of your outboard and how well your boat planes will depend on the location where you will need to install the livewell.<br />In my boat the middle was the best location but on a flatbottom the rear might be the best. You may want to test it first and put about 100-150 pounds of weight in the middle and than the rear and see which location your boat performs best.<br />I've used ice chests before and they suck. They are in the way. By using the seats as storage and the livewell built under the middle seat the only thing I trip over now is tackleboxes and empty beer cans.<br />This boat is now set up for just about any species of fish that swims. I use it for the ocean, rivers and lakes.<br />If you don't have a trailer for your boat I wouldn't install any decks because it makes the boat heavy as he##.<br />Good Luck!!!!!

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the tips Jay..i will use a liner out bps/cabella's simply because i dont have much time to spend doing the glassing..i have thought about opening up my rear bench and using it but i want a bigger rear deck anyway...

jonboatbassin

Seaman

Jay- Thanks alot for the info on the livewell. I got the livewell box finished, painted, installed and the plumbing in today now I just need time to fiberglass it. Do you use the fiberglass mat stuff from the auto body section at Walmart or is it some special kind.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jonboat,<br />Don't forget to post some pictures. I love seeing pictures of these kind of projects. I'm sure everyone else does too.<br />-Joe

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I bought the fiberglass angel hair type from wal mart. Buy alot and take back what you don't need. I think I bought a gallon of the liquid and it done the job.<br />After the first layer it gets easier. Make sure you pop any air bubbles.<br />When I get my boat cleaned up I'll try and add some pic's of my livewell. I just had to tear my front deck out cuz I'm trying to track a leak and run a new transducer cable. After spending a couple weeks building this rig I've decided its just as cheap and alot easier to buy a tracker or other type boat with everything already done.<br />Good luck!!

walleyehed

Admiral

Back to JasonJ's post.....WELL SAID!!!<br />When you take a total piece of crap boat, or any boat for that matter and want to customize it to suit your needs, you can't put a price tag on doing it yourself, and the self-satisfaction is second to none-Jason knows what I'm talking about.<br />This project side of the forum is a great place to learn some great ideas for those that "want" to learn, and it proves there are so many ways to do it, and do it well.<br />Good luck with the livewell, I'm sure it will serve it's purpose well!<br />Have fun guys!!! :)

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Buy yourself one of those cheap plastic storage boxes, add the pump, etc., and fit it in wherever you want it and use a hatch to seal it. That's cheaper than fg glass and epoxy.

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WALLEYHED, your right about the satisfaction part of it until......<br />1. The customized part starts falling apart while fishing.<br />2. The project costs more to make than buying the real thing.<br />3. A year later you realize you were a complete idiot at the time when you made it and it should have been done another way.<br />4. Someone else rolls up with the same type of customized feature and theirs is done the correct way and looks nicer.<br />5. You just lost fishing time by working on that piece of crap boat.<br /><br />Actually, I am pretty happy with my aluminum boat and it would be hard to find another one that has the same features for the amount of $ I have in it.<br />There sure was alot of sweat put into that rig that my fishing buddies seem to have no problem tearing apart.<br /><br />A plastic tub will not work (atleast not one from walmart). I tried one for just a dry storage area on another boat of mine and the plastic tub cracked in the corners in a short period of time.<br /><br />I searched for weeks at boat salvage yards, boat dealers, Ebay, hardware stores, anything that could be used as a livewell. I couldn't find anything because I needed one a certain size so that it would fit inside the old seat. A guy down at a boat dealership gave me the idea about making one out of fiberglass. A fiberglass livewell installed under a seat is the best way it can be done (period).