How the heck to get under the deck?

VinceJE

Cadet
I have a 20' 1996 model Champion DCX Elite bass boat and the Lowrance unit which is mounted flush in the bow is dead. I want to replace it with the identical model, but I cannot figure out how I gain access to the back of it (under the deck surface) to remove it.

The switch panel to the left of it only has a small hole behind it for wires. There's no way a human hand can fit through that and reach the back of the sonar display. The only thing I can think of is to drill out all the rivtes in the aluminum trim that appears to hold the entire deck surface and remove the deck. (If the deck even comes out.) There's got to be an easier / better way.

Does anyone here know how I get to it?

THANKS!!
f2f3_3.jpg

f74f_3.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: How the heck to get under the deck?

Since that head unit is dead I would gently pry on it and try to see how it is held in, they may have just used adhesive on it.

Generally those decks are one peice and you don't just split them, they need to be cut apart, I believe the rivets hold the trim peice but the top and bottom of the boat are bonded.

I have seen them building some of our Azure glass boats and they put everything they can on before they join the hull to the deck so it may have been put on before they were joined.

I would pry it out or pull the panel next to it and cut an accesss hole in it, if you og inside the screw holes it will cover back up and noone will ever know.

Call the company or a dealer and see if they can tell you.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i work on champion as stated above most likely it's glued in but don't count on it.
there are two thumb screws on the back for mounting the head unit to a bracket if this is the case YOU will need the make the hole for the switch panel bigger so you can get your hand in.remove the left side thumb screw completely then with some pressure pull the unit out .if it won't come then some how you have to get your hand in to loosen the other side thumb screw.

. hear is the tip of the day when the hole is big enough the gain access put masking tape around and on all the rough sides of the hole this will keep the fiber glass from cutting the hell out of your arm.

good luck.

jonesg

Admiral

Remove that black speaker grill to the upper right.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It also appears that the screws that secure the casting deck floor can be removed to remove the front section of floor. But before resorting to any extreme measures, run a knive blade around the head unit. You should be able to feel if there is any adhesive in use. If there is, make several passes around it to cut it. But yes -- the black rectangular grille or whatever that is certainly looks removable and that would provide the access you need.

VinceJE

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies!!!

The black "speaker grill" is actually a rubber non-slip step thing that it adhered to the bow. No hole under that for sure.

I'll try to cut the sealant around the unit first and then try enlarging the hole behind the switch plate. Otherwise... It will be a task for my local shop.

VinceJE

Cadet

Good news!!!

You guys were right about it just being held in by the silicone. I finally got around to trying it. I used a thin razor knife to cut the silicone between the unit and the deck surface. Then I pried on it gently with a flexible putty knife. It took less than 5 minutes to get it out.

Geez... I've been needing to change this thing for months and never thought of it being just glued in. Already have a new head unit on the way from eBay ($60) that will hold me over until I have the money for an upgrade.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

your welcome vince