How often do you change your center fire plugs?

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
I'm going on year 4 on these plugs. They look good and the Merc 500 runs pretty well but five been noticing it stalling a bit more from idle to gear. I'm sure that I could use a few more RPMs too, I just had the throttle and shifter cable replaced. How often do you replace these?

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class
If the plugs are clean, the insulators ok, some good post left, and regapped, they should be fine to keep going. Otherwise, you're doing OK at 4 years!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I change them whenever I have a running issue with a motor. To be truthful, that has never helped, as the surface gap plugs last a long time, and I was guessing, at the problem. what is wrong, with your motor?

In your case, let a sleeping dog lie....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I run surface gap plugs in my inline 6 115HP Mercury for over ten years and they never ever gave me any problem...

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
No real issue with the motor other than stalling when going from neutral to forward when cold. I just replaced my throttle cable, shifter cable, and main wiring harness so the box has recently been all apart. A friend of mine set up the cables and adjusted the idle, it may just need a few rpms.