veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How not to hook up a trailer.

I was going to say "That's got to be a double ball hitch"...:D

Ya beat me to it, Bob.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah a double ball, but it does look funny in a picture that way....

lncoop

Vice Admiral

We don't know for sure it's a double ball hitch. It might have a telephone insulator on the top side. Or a tennis ball.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

no way thats a double ball fellas its sitting on the receiver, anytime your ball and coupler is properly hooked up theres 3/4" from the coupler flange to the receiver. The picture is definitely sitting on the ball nut....

RogersJetboat454

Commander

no way thats a double ball fellas its sitting on the receiver, anytime your ball and coupler is properly hooked up theres 3/4" from the coupler flange to the receiver. The picture is definitely sitting on the ball nut....

+1 on that.

Scary!!!:eek:

Either this picture was some one fooling around, or some one truly has no clue how to tow a trailer.

If the second case is true, wonder how far they made it before it bounced off the receiver.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Good eye Lipp! I thought double ball at first sight and clicked out of it. That's definitely not on a ball! :facepalm:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

to continue the CSI:
could be the top ball is too small and that's why it's covered over-and the guy didn't know any better, or he had no choice.
Or he had to use the too-small ball b/c the other one is too big (not likely)
Or his receiver is rusted in and he couldn't get it out. Happened to me once and it was an ordeal to get it loose.
Or he lost the key to the lock on the receiver
Or he's just moving the boat in the driveway and resting it on the ball nut was all he needed. the reason I doubt this theory, though, is that he also hooked up the lights and brakes. But I remember people moving padlocked trailers at a marina that way to get them to higher ground before a storm came.
but who would take the picture, and why? A passer-by?

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took the picture because I was leaving work and our New employee had just hooked up the trailer. Getting ready for the next days run. That is not a double ball hitch.
Where I work we store 500 boats for the winter. 200 boats remain in the building at the lake while 300 get towed down the mountain to another facility.
This new employee was hired as a driver to make runs up and down the mountain. I can imagine putting the receiver in upside down as some of our hitches are put together for raises and some for drops. Hell I did it the other day. I just can't imagine how he missed it as he lowered it on top of the nut.
The scary thing is, we believe he had just finished towing a boat requiring a 2 5/16 ball so he may have made the last 30 mile trip uphill with the nut pulling the boat.

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other bad thing was our other new driver lost a tire and rim the day before due to loose lugnuts. From the place we found the tire and to where he realized he was missing it was 6 miles. How could you drive six miles and not look in the mirror to realize you are on one tire of a tandem? Also How do you drive 20 miles prior and not see the rim wobbling?
Clueless people. And he was a retired truck driver.

NYBo

Admiral

Yeah, no second ball there. But it appears the nut behind the wheel is loose, though. :eek:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Lipp, that was pretty quick on your part. Great observation... But come on, now... I think that's enough talk of balls and nuts. You guys are begining to scare me.:rolleyes::p

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

yeah that didn't sound right at all did it!!

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As long as we keep the shaft out of the conversation, it'll be alright .