FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Hi: I am new to this forum. Have a mid 70s Chrysler 60. When I drained the lower unit oil I found about a teaspoon of water in with the oil. Can motor be run awile like this? I do not want to tear it down now if I don't have too. Thanks.
What color was the oil? Milky:you need to pressure test and reseal as needed.
No change in color: just make sure you put new seals on the fill and drain screws.
Just a little bit of water when you open the drain plug means" new plug seals. Jerry
Open a container of oil and that should be the color. Used oil will be darker.If it is real white.Get someone to pressure test the unit. If you need to use the boat change the oil and go. Make sure you check after each use. A little bit of water wont hurt unless it is left in the unit. Milky oil can freeze and crack. Just change often. Jerry
Thanks. I think I'll run the motor awhile and keep checking the lower unit. I just bought this motor (really bought the boat and this old Chrysler happened to be on the back) and don't want to spend much on it until I see how it performs otherwise. It has the dreaded Magnapower II ignition system, which is bad according to what I've read on this site. For now motor runs ok.