How much Stabil do you use?

bamafutbal

Petty Officer 1st Class
bought the marine ethanol blend and it reads 1oz for 8 gallons. Is thast enough???

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much Stabil do you use?

bought the marine ethanol blend and it reads 1oz for 8 gallons. Is thast enough???

Marine Sta-Bil (blue) is 1 oz/10 gallons for seasonal use. You double this for storage.

I just read my newest bottle....

P.S. I use it year round (Florida) at about 1.5 oz per 10 gallons...everything has gone great!

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

None in no cars or power equipment, winter layup is a solid 5 months here.
No problems or complaints.

ziggy

Admiral

i use the red stabil. i read the directions and follow whatever they tell me to add for however many gallons.. no issues with doing it this way for me.. layup for me is 6 months, + or -depending on the year..

oldjeep

Admiral

None, in anything. Boat sits for 7 months during the winter, couple of the toy cars sit for 5-6 months. Never had an issue.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to use stabil; now use startron. The stuff is amazing. Not only keeps fuel fresh, but I gained 2MPH on my boat and 2MPG on my truck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

just follow the instructions. Remember, it won't restore old gas (although Startron says that it does...)
People in the colder or less humid parts of the country don't seem to have the same problems with ethanol in the fuel that others do--that's my observation from the posts here about the ethanol issue.

scipper77

Commander

Just remember.. It's hard to put too much in. I'm sure that if you put 2 to 5 times the recommended amount in you wouldn't know the difference. I am not however recommending that you intentionally put way to much in, just saying it's better to have a little to much than not enough.

a70eliminator

Captain

Nothing but plain old pump gas here, and the cheapest 87 octane at that.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In NJ, I don't use Stabil during the boating season, and in the fall, the tanks are siphoned empty. Come Spring, the tank is filled with fresh fuel so there are no fuel problems, and no water condensation issues either.

The pre-mix that is siphoned out is mixed 50/50 with regular gas and used in the tractor, lawn mowers, snow thrower, etc. No smoke, no carbon buildup, and the motors run just as if there was no oil mixed in.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Marine Sta-Bil (blue) is 1 oz/10 gallons for seasonal use. You double this for storage.

I just read my newest bottle....

P.S. I use it year round (Florida) at about 1.5 oz per 10 gallons...everything has gone great!

Huh! I was shying away from the Marine stuff because of the price, but now I see it's actually cheaper to use than the red (1 oz. per 2.5 gals)! What's up with that?

I used to add it at every fill. This year, I plan to do every other. For Winter layup, I run the tank down (but don't siphon it empty), then overtreat the remainder. I add Seafoam, too.

My .02

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If you use your gas enough so that it never gets more than a month or two old, you won't have problems, either. People with big tanks and/or little time don't have this option.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use the blue marine Stabil for boat tanks. Don't know why other than what the label says, but the blue stuff steered me away from the red Stabil. I use what the instruction says, but a little more won't hurt other than waste the stuff.

Each time after a fishing trip, I add the recommended amount for the gas to refill the tank.

imho...wellsc1

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Use the blue marine Stabil for boat tanks. Don't know why other than what the label says, but the blue stuff steered me away from the red Stabil. I use what the instruction says, but a little more won't hurt other than waste the stuff.

Each time after a fishing trip, I add the recommended amount for the gas to refill the tank.

imho...wellsc1

The Marine Sta-bil is a new product. Folks have been using the red in boats forever. It's fine.

BobnAbout

Cadet

After several trips to the repair shop, I am a firm believer in Stabil. Although the last time I fired up my Honda generators, they ran at low spped until I added more gas to teh gas/stabil mixture. Don't know if it is old gas or too much Stabil. I am thinking of pouring the mixture in wifes car so I can get a new gas/stabil mixture. As I am in the process of buying an outboard, guess I need the Blue stabil, didn't even know it existed. Also heard about Seafoam from guys at work, got to check that out too. Thanks for the info, now I have another bottle of stuff to add to the flammable locker.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

If you use your gas enough so that it never gets more than a month or two old, you won't have problems, either. People with big tanks and/or little time don't have this option.

+1. That really is the bottom line. If you're using it up and replacing it regularly you don't need ANY additives. You wouldn't worry about leaving your car sitting around while you went on vacation, either.

My .02