How much outboard motors have improved.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Maybe your motor is from an alternate dimension where physics and combustion technology don't apply? Was the salesman hinky looking at all?
What ever it is...it makes me very happy !!! The previous owner told me stories of his great fuel economy, but I just passed them off, ....but, seeing is believing....I will take it....

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes, how much they have improved!

I have a place I go fishing and the route is always the same. Part ways no wake zone and part ways open river. Over the last 40 years, here's a rough comparison:

2 Strokes:
1952 Big Twin 25 HP - 7 gallons
1974 'Rude 18 HP - 6 gallons
1970 9.5 Rude - 5 gallons
2009 Yamaha 25 HP - 4 gallons
(all on the same boat)

4 Strokes:
2017 Merc 60 HP - 3 gallons
2019 Merc 150 - 4 gallons

If you don't have a performance curve to determine optimum cruising speed (best fuel economy) run at about 70% +- of max rpm. That's assuming that the prop will provide near full rpm spec.
curios about you route.how far is it one way?Are you going wide open where allowed or best crusing speed?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
curios about you route.how far is it one way?Are you going wide open where allowed or best crusing speed?
From my launch ramp to the river, part way at no wake zone. The rest is in the river with no speed limit. Total trip one way is about 12 miles.

I NEVER go WOT unless a thunderstorm is approaching. Simply no reason to speed. I'm going fishing! This is all fun and leisure.

I have performance curves for all my boats. The optimum cruise speed is the only sensible way to run.

OTOH, I had an old buddy whose boat had only 2 speeds - zero and WOT. He only got to the spot a few minutes before me, and he didn't catch any more fish than I did.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
But speed is nice... To me, getting there is the mission, not the drive. same goes on land.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
But speed is nice... To me, getting there is the mission, not the drive. same goes on land.
To each his own. Personally, the slower I go the less I have to be watching forward, and the better I can see the bikini clad first mates on the gofasts that pass me by.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Im an easy cruse type guy now.I was just curious how my 60 etec stacked up against a 60 4 stroke.27 miles to camp equals 2 and a half gallons imperial or approx 3 gallons u.s.zero smoke what so ever.I had it set on the xd100 setting which equals about 2 years running per gallon.of oil.12 gallons of gas barely lowers the oil tank .16 foot starcraft ss.Only thing ive ever seen come out of the exhaust is steam on a cold morning.What kind of fuel usage would a 1939 22.5 evinrude with a speed lower unit have

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
How is this post still going? So obvious we are being trolled. In WHAT universe do the Ops #S MAKE SENSE!. His last post was what a gallon an hr at 3/4 throttle? I will call that for what it is BS!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Nah just somebody in love with their new toy.Gas number are wrong though.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nah just somebody in love with their new toy.Gas number are wrong though.
You are right there, never have I owned a better running, easy on gas outboard motor in all my 60 years of boating!! Smoothest idle ever, right down where you can almost hear each cylinder fire. I did find an airlock that I posted about that added almost two gallons of fuel to my original calculation. Just filled the tank again yesterday, after 4 fishing trips out on lake erie my total fuel fill was 12.5 gallons, not going to complain with a little over 6 hrs running time. Call it anything you want, but yes I am one happy boater !!!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You are right there, never have I owned a better running, easy on gas outboard motor in all my 60 years of boating!! Smoothest idle ever, right down where you can almost hear each cylinder fire. I did find an airlock that I posted about that added almost two gallons of fuel to my original calculation. Just filled the tank again yesterday, after 4 fishing trips out on lake erie my total fuel fill was 12.5 gallons, not going to complain with a little over 6 hrs running time. Call it anything you want, but yes I am one happy boater !!!
I owned that exact motor
THats ok if your #s are right that motor will burn down soon enough. No way does it survive with that little fuel in it. We will see you in the Merc section soon enough.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I owned that exact motor

THats ok if your #s are right that motor will burn down soon enough. No way does it survive with that little fuel in it. We will see you in the Merc section soon enough.
Both previous owners made the same claim to its fuel effiency, the motor is a 92 and still has almost perfect compression. Cant say what the future will bring but it sure runs great now !!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I owned that exact motor

Confused by this statement.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
He is burning a gallon an hour of fuel at 3/4 throttle. Explain how that motor is not running lean. Don't know what's confusing about it.
No doubt the consumption is a mystery…but also no doubt that a modern motor like that just won’t run like it is if the fuelling isn’t right. Just simply won’t achieve much at all. The fuelling will either work or it won’t on modern engines.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There really is nothing " modern " on that motor.----Just the basic 4 cylinder that was made since the early 1960's.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There really is nothing " modern " on that motor.----Just the basic 4 cylinder that was made since the early 1960's.
Ok. Fair play. I was thinking of another post featuring a modern efi 4 stroke. Apologies

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
He is burning a gallon an hour of fuel at 3/4 throttle. Explain how that motor is not running lean. Don't know what's confusing about it.
Apologies flying Scott. Was getting mixed up with another subject about a 4 stroke efi motor.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That engine goes back to about 1955
Yeah. I had a nightmare there. Totally off track thinking it was a new 4 stroke efi thing. Think I was getting confused with the other post about an efi and props earlier. The few cans of beer during the sail earlier, likely haven’t helped much either !