How much kicker hp do I need?

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been thinking about getting a small kicker as a backup motor in case I ever get stranded in the middle of the lake with nobody around and a boat full of children. As you can see I don't have a whole lot of room on the transom. Would something like a little 3 horse 2-stroke have enough jam or is that a waste of time? As you can see space is at a premium so I'm trying to figure out a creative solution to this. A little engine I could store under the back seat or possibly make room for a permanent mount beside the big boy.

77gl-cvx20sprint-test.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a friend of mine moved his 37 foot sailboat with his dingy and a 2.5 hp suzuki 15 miles across open water from Sarasota to Boca Ciga bay in the golf of mexico

i moved my boat 3 miles up-stream with a honda 1.6hp weed wacker with a minn-kota mount and a plastic propeller (similar to kayakbuddys)

so with that stated a 3-hp would be find in a pinch

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A 5 HP Sail Pro outboard would get the job done. A 7 would be better and a 9.9 would give you tons of oomph.

However, your boat design is really not suited to add a kicker. If it were me I'd join BoatUs, switch to their insurance, and avail myself of their low cost towing service.

How / where would you mount it ?????
Pretty much there's a small amount of room on the transom where I might be able to mount something very small. I may even have to make a small stand-off mount for that to work. I have a spare 15hp Evinrude but it's a big 67 pound pig I have no way of mounting it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The main motor offers such small lateral space at both sides that won't be possible to install any portable motor on the transom to work side of the main.

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
All depends on how it’s mounted and it’s height. Balance between being low enough to have the prop under the hull and high enough to be able to lift clear of the water when not in use.
but I’d also say…you will ruin this stunning boat by doing this. I’d rather make sure the main engine is good and reliable. She’s lovely. I have a cvx16. Would t dream of putting a kicker on her.

The transom doesn't go the full width of the boat, it's only as wide as the splashwell so my backup engine will have to sit right beside the main. I tried an early 1960's 2cyl 6hp mercury, it's a narrow engine but still too wide. I have a 5hp eska air cooled that once I make a narrower cowl/fuel tank for it will be just narrow enough to fit and still allow the main drive a full range of motion. I'll have to make a custom mount because the transom is too fat for a standard clamp-on mount and pin it so the steering will be the main engine used as a rudder. The final product looks like it will be no more than 20 pounds so I might just store it under rear bench seat. The main engine is super reliable, it's only got around 600 hours on it, all electronics have been replaced with new and I keep on top of the mechanical bits. I feel like if I have a contingency plan I will never need it.