How much is your sales tax?

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How much is your sales tax?

Here in Fresno County, California our sales tax is 7.875. I know all perishable items are tax free. Even garden seeds and plants our tax free. I try not to think of taxes because it makes my face turn red and my blood pressure rise and I can't do anything about it anyway. I'm not <br /> gonna think about it today. Sunday is a day of rest. <br />Bassy

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

As said here before, MIchigan is 6%. 2% is supposed to fund the schools. Lottery proceeds are supposed to fund schools too. Lower MI gets 10,000+ per pupil, upper MI gets 6500 per student. Somehow it seems unfair.<br /><br />Any item intended for human consumption (unprepared food, candy, Rx's, soda, etc.) is untaxed. Food prepared on-site is taxed. Regardless if consumed on-site. Buy a single bag of microwave popcorn - no tax. Pop the popcorn in 7-11's microwave - taxed. <br />Printed and bound matter - no tax. <br />Services and labor - no tax.<br />Basically our tax code tried to leave all necessities untaxed. All luxuries are taxed. But curiously all utilities are taxed too. Maybe heat and lights are luxuries :confused: <br />On top of this we have gasoline/diesel taxes (federal I think) and state sales tax on top of total.<br />We have a 4.x% income tax, Utilities are taxed at varying rates and then that total is taxed at the sales/use tax rate.<br />All automobiles/boats/RV's/Motorcycles/etc are "Use" taxed at the sales tax rate. Even mobile homes and real estate transactions are taxed at 6%.<br />I agree we should have a federal sales tax, but modeled after Michigan's sales tax. Let the people with the means to enjoy amenities support the nation. Don't make the less advantaged do so. If you only have the means to survive, you should pay nothing. If you have the means to buy a home, buy a boat, enjoy a Broadway show, fly on an airplane, then pay up. And yes, I would be one of the one's paying up, just like most of you, even though I'm far from wealthy. But Bill Gates and baby Bush would be paying their fair share too. No deductions, just exempt "necessity" items.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

6% in NJ, with some special economically impared areas at 3%. Most food and clothing exempt.<br /><br />It's too much but still better than Englands VAT.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Tax here at my place in Alabama is 8% on most everything including food. That Is why I drive to Florida to buy groceries. IMHO, the most unfair tax in the world is the tax on groceries. :mad:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In Monroe County,NY we pay 8 1/4 %.I believe that the reason for higher taxes in Lewis county is snow removal.Which other place in this nation has as much snow as you guys do?

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Just got a letter from the office of the Texas Copmtroller of Public Accounts informing me that as of april 1st 2005, the local sales and use tax increases will go into effect :(

JasonB

Lieutenant

Tennessee is I think a state rate of 8.5% and the counties can run it up to no more than 9.25% or so, but no state income tax. We pay sales tax on almost everything.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

It seems to me that when Federal income taxes are decreased, the majority of local taxes like sales and use tax, property tax and the ones labeled as "fees" increases to the point where one is worse off :(

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kind of makes you wonder how we managed to get to this point.<br />Taxes are simply too high!<br />We would probably have a short list if we tried to think of things that are not taxed!