How much do you pay for winterizing?

Spivy30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Normally I do all my own winterized and store my boat but this year I lost my free storage spot. I went shopping for storage price for my 18' and was quoted $400 plus tax for everything winterized shrink wrap and store. What do most of you pay? Last I paid for storage it was only 200 for indoor heated.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How much do you pay for winterizing?

How many months of storage does that cover? I pay about $100/mo for a covered spot outside.

bow wow rider

Seaman

in the cincinnati area it's about $300 to pay a dealer to winterize, change oil, etc.

storage, i found a place that charges $2.25/foot per month so that's about $45/month for my four winns (about 21 feet with trailer). it's basically a huge pole barn. no climate control but great protection from the elements and also secure.

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let's see. I guess for me the cost of winterizing in So Cal is my mortgage, property taxes and living amongst the other flakes and nuts!! We boat all year here (not to rub it in). Have had the boat for 13 months now and have missed only 2 weekends due to "weather".

Good luck guys this winter - hopes it's a mild one for you!

ziggy

Admiral

i wouldn't trust anyone else to winterize my boat. i'd just be afraid they'd not do it the way i want it done.

Blackacid

Seaman Apprentice

Being new to boating... What is winterizing a boat? I had just assumed all I needed to do was make sure the engine was drained of water, and purge any old fuel?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

$15. $10 for lower unit oil and $5 for stabil to put in the gas. Ok I do love outboards for some things. back it into my garage and cover it up nicely till spring.

ziggy

Admiral

What is winterizing a boat? I had just assumed all I needed to do was make sure the engine was drained of water, and purge any old fuel?
assuming ya got an i/o. this is winterizing... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 check out #6.
i also use my oem service manual for reference. this is where you find info on your particular rig, and what the oem thinks ya should do to winterize.. in the end. i have made up a list of about a 40 items of things to do to my boat prior to her going to sleep for the winter.

Brewman61

Ensign

Indoor unheated storage around here is about $400 for my 18' BR. That includes shrink wrap, but no mechanical work.
I do my own, so I pay about another $100 or so for all the required filters, oil, lower unit lube, Stabil, etc......
Having the dealer do it would likely be another couple hundred for their labor.
I too have a list of tasks I perform prior to winter storage, all the above plus cleaning inside and out, battery, etc.....

davidhicks

Seaman Apprentice

I give my local shop 20$ than bring it home and trow it in the carport.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The average IO that I do, I charge between 250 and 350 (that's parts and labor). just for winterizing, no storage, no shrinkwrapping. Just to give you an idea of what I do....

Engine oil and filter change
Drive oil change
Stabilize fuel
Fog
Anticorrosion spray exterior
Grease all fittings
Fill with antifreeze (if wanted)
Pull prop, grease propshaft
Pull drive, grease & inspect, align and re-install
Loosen belt tension

Average boat takes me 3-5 hours to do.