How much do dealers typically come off price?

CaptainYARRR

Seaman
I found a used Monterrey from a dealer. They want 18k for a 02 218 LS w/ V8. They are giving me the big song and dance about what a hot commodity it is. The same story I've heard about every boat I've looked at. I'm curious, what will these guys typically take? Anything I need to know about this boat? Is this a good price?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How much do dealers typically come off price?

They'll take as much as they can get is the short answer. If I'm looking at a boat, I usally get all the prices together of NADA or KBB and go from there depending on condition and the amount of maintenance done and how much I'll have to do. Usually used boats have a 20-25% wiggle room from the lots, more from private sellers. Oh and the boats are not a hot commoditiy right now, not here anyways, you might even get more off.

canoeist

Cadet

They are giving me the big song and dance about what a hot commodity it is.

Then why is it still for sale?

This_lil_fishy

It really depends on how desperate they are, how many sales that sales guy has this week/month and how quickly they honestly feel they can sell the boat. It's the wrong time of the year for a buyer. Even though the economy is crap, the dealers are busy getting boats ready for the season..ie: lots of money coming in from the service department. Also being spring, people that are gainfully employed still, are looking a getting a new boat...so sales are down..but not completely flat. That said, a lot of manufacturers have deeply discounted their new boats, so the used boat market is in the toilet even more....so it comes down to your haggling skills. Maybe get them to give you some sort of extended warranty or something as opposed to trying to haggle price outright.

Ian

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can't get them to budge on the price, then they should at least through in some free accessories. I got a bunch of life jackets and a tube with mine.

In terms of getting them to negotiate...you gotta be willing to walk away if they won't meet your terms. As long as the sales guy knows you aren't going anywhere, there is no reason for him to meet your terms.

haulnazz15

Captain

I'd just search boattrader, iboats, etc to find out what the average price is for that model. Then use that to negotiate.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

In terms of getting them to negotiate...you gotta be willing to walk away if they won't meet your terms. As long as the sales guy knows you aren't going anywhere, there is no reason for him to meet your terms.

Bingo!

Leave your name and phone number, and let the guy know that you're still looking. Never get emotionally involved with a boat until after:

The deal
The survey
The sea trial

After all that is done, love it as much as you want to, but not a minute before :)

BumbleBeeTuna

Seaman

Never get emotionally involved with a boat until after:

The deal
The survey
The sea trial

After all that is done, love it as much as you want to, but not a minute before :)

I told myself I would follow this rule but the second I walked into the sales area, that rule was checked at the door.

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my opinion documented values like NADA and listed selling prices are pretty-much useless in this economy, use them as a (very) rough estimate only and go way DOWN from there. That "hot commodity" will be pretty cold come September when it's still sitting on the lot....and they know it. Think about what they gave some sucker on a trade-in for that boat.

They can't take anything until you give them a price you want to pay. Offer a number you want, NOT what you think they'll take. There are very few real buyers out there right now, showing you are a BUYER and you mean business will go a long way.

capt sam

Shop people have no idea what kind of deal you cut on a boat, if there's any preference it's because you bought it there or have historically bought from them. They know they can make alot more on the service side than on sales.

This_lil_fishy

I don't follow your point other than good customers get better service. I agree.

Yes and no. I know with my truck I was having a problem getting the truck in on short notice. I spoke with the salesman that I bought the truck from and magically got bumped up. I didn't haggle a lot either..but then..I got a great deal and didn't really need to.

Ian

haulnazz15

Captain

Just do the maintenance stuff yourself and don't worry about what service you get afterwards. Chances are there's a marine repair shop you can be a "good customer" with and still get the boat cheaper. My .02.

capt sam

I don't follow your point other than good customers get better service. I agree.

the point being that if you bought 2 cars or 20 cars at that lot, yes you will get better service in the fact that they may make exceptions for you, like fitting you in when they're busy. Paying full price has nothing to do with it, the shop manager doesn't know what you paid, the service guys don't, nor do they care, you're a repeat customer that's what they look at, not whether you paid sticker or not. I worked at a Marina years ago, same thing, I had no clue what price a guy paid, if he historically did business with us he got faster not necessairly better service.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently bought a very good 2006 Four Winns with low hours. I came in almost 25% below the asking price (which was in line with NADA values), and the dealer took it. I then wished I'd gone in lower. I'm nevertheless happy with the price I paid because I think it was a good deal. However, I would not be ashamed to go in 30-35% below asking price, notwithstanding the dealer saying its a hot boat that is not going to last long. (They'd probably say that even if the transom was dangling.)

capt sam

My shop guys work for the owner/sales manager. Believe me that when I or my wife walk in the service manager is front and center with a smile and does whatever it takes to keep us happy.

I'm sure, not arguing that point. My only statement has to do with paying full price or not, it doesn't affect service in the end, repeat business does. I bet if you knocked the price of that car down $2k you'd get the same service....that's all I'm saying from experience.

CaptainYARRR

Seaman

Sounds like most of you wouldn't balk at offering them 15 for it.

Any reason not to buy a Monterey? I've seen a couple of Sea Rays that are very comparable within a few grand of that price.

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When buying a vehicle or boat I always look it up on NADA or KBB. Plug in all the options and condition and look at the value. I then decide what I would like to pay and make the offer for that amount. I can usually get 10% - 15% off, and I feel good about the deal.
As far as service work, I'm with the repeat business theory. Me and the wife always get excellent treatment at the service shop with fast service and loaner cars. Even on our truck that we didn't buy from that dealership. Those services are built in to your end cost and it's called convenience and we all like it.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I do agree that "lowest pric"e does not always mean "best deal". however, I don't see paying $2k extra to be first in line for a loner vehicle - which you won't be getting for a boat anyhow.

What I think makes sense when buying from a dealer is maybe to negotiate in some service. maybe get a longer warranty thrown in. First year winterizing, a top to bottom detailing - whatever you think is of value that he can provide. That's "win-win" negotiating, IMO.

CaptainYARRR

Seaman

NADA says it's worth around 13k, but I may be missing some options. But I can't imagine there's an option I'm missing worth 5k since I've already got the engine and FI. I think I'll ask him about this and see what he says.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

I've made multiple offers this week alone on boats. I've been shopping for a year and watched the prices on boats carefully. If you do enough research there are descent deals out there right now. You have to look though. I look everyday, seriously. The market in the NW is high on used boat values. If your looking at I/O boats they are a little more competitive. Outboards your better off buying NEW. Even for I/O a 2yr old and less is best bang for the buck from what I can see around here. I think your best bet is to find a dealer that has bought leftover boats from another dealer that went under. I found such a deal on a setup that I really like. The boat is NEW 20' w/ an outboard. The boat retails for 35k+. I got the dealer down to 20k including shipping delivered to me. This boat is out of state. I have yet to sign the papers but feel that this will be the one. It all depends on how desperate the dealer is to move the inventory. I don't think I got a killer deal but one that accurately reflects the current market. To be honest, I wished I'd offer 18k initially. The dealer took my offer too quickly. You never know though. Some dealers won't budge at all when I made them an offer. I just move on to the next. Like others have said. I don't fall in love with one particular boat. There are a bunch of nice boats out there. Don't limit yourself.