How much clearance for side bunks?

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a standard clearance for side bunks?

Assembling the trailer now for my DIY 12 foot, flat bottom jon boat. Am going to install carpeted side bunks to help center the rear end of the boat on the trailer. Also to help keep the boat centered while towing the trailer, though I will have transom to trailer hold down straps.

BTW, the sides of my DIY jon boat are straight, not bowed. So it's the same width at the back as it is in the front or middle.

Would 1" of clearance on each side be about right? That would allow worst case for the boat to be 1" off center on either side.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a standard clearance for side bunks?

Assembling the trailer now for my DIY 12 foot, flat bottom jon boat. Am going to install carpeted side bunks to help center the rear end of the boat on the trailer. Also to help keep the boat centered while towing the trailer, though I will have transom to trailer hold down straps.

BTW, the sides of my DIY jon boat are straight, not bowed. So it's the same width at the back as it is in the front or middle.

Would 1" of clearance on each side be about right? That would allow worst case for the boat to be 1" off center on either side.

Thanks.
With more Googling, found the answer on etrailer.com. The recommended clearance is 1 inch between boat hull and carpeted surface of the side bunk. Case closed.