How many people here smoke?

wetcandle

Cadet
Just wondering how many people here smoke or used to smoke. I have been smoking about 10 years and I think it's time to quit - more money to put in my boat's tank! :eek:

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: How many people here smoke?

Smoked two packs a day for years. quit when my first child was born. It's been 24 years. I think smokes were something like 55 cents a pack at the time.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Smoke miniature cigars. Pack lasts me 3-4 days.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Smoked two packs a day for 32 years. Haven't touched one since Dec 7, 1997. Loved the sport but there is a time and place for everything. <br /><br />Once you couldn't smoke anywhere it became a real distraction. <br /><br />Once this sick government found they could retire the national debt on taxes from them they got irresponsibly expensive.<br /><br />Once I passed 29 y/o ;) they began to slow me down.<br /><br />I keep a pack in the freezer (hey I could cash in and practically retire) and I told my wife "on my deathbed, I want you to light one up for me"<br /><br />Oh, I did love it so!

TilliamWe

Banned

started @ age 29, smoked about 3 years, finally @ a pack/day. Quit buying in Sept of last year, last smoke was in Oct, the day I took the boat out of the water for the season.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Drinking and smoking went hand in hand and that's how I started, back in my 20's. Then I quit drinking about 2 years ago and still liked my cigarrette when driving. Yep, never smoked anywhere else but in the car, with noone in it. Then this last spring I got the worst cold/flu/I don't know, but smoking was the last thing I wanted to do and I stopped smoking then and haven't bought any since. I don't miss them except every once in while. But just like drinking I won't pick up one for fear I would pick up a 2nd and I'm a better person not picking them up. <br />Bassy

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I too smoked two packs of Marlboro every day until my first child was born. Quit 14 years ago as to not set the wrong example.<br /><br />But, I wish I could quote Clinton and say "I never inhaled" ;)

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

I used to smoke, but it has been 12 years now. I don't miss it.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Pack a day. Government is doing their best to try and dictate my life to me. And they are happy to let me have my way as long as I pay for the priveldge.<br /><br />Have to admit I should quit. It is not a value added aspect to my life, just a luxury.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pack a day too. It's about 5 bucks a pack in Ohio now and it's really time for me to quit. It's a dirty, stinking habit that needs to go! Besides, I want a set of auto trim on the boat!

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Quit 25 years ago, wife kept smoking for 15 of those years. I was never a reformed smoker that would bother people to quit. She quit on her own.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I don't smoke, the cigeratte does, I just suck it in. 5-6 smokes a day for me. Before I quit last time it was 2 packs + a day. I quit for 2 years and started back. I don't smoke in the house, only outdoors.

Elecwhit

Cadet

Originally posted by Bassy:<br /> Drinking and smoking went hand in hand and that's how I started, back in my 20's. Then I quit drinking about 2 years ago and still liked my cigarrette when driving. Yep, never smoked anywhere else but in the car, with noone in it. Then this last spring I got the worst cold/flu/I don't know, but smoking was the last thing I wanted to do and I stopped smoking then and haven't bought any since. I don't miss them except every once in while. But just like drinking I won't pick up one for fear I would pick up a 2nd and I'm a better person not picking them up. <br />Bassy

Elecwhit

Cadet

Hi Bassy,<br /> I am new here , just wanted to say hello and add to your adventure in smoking. I quit 20 years ago and I would never go back. I also quit chewing tabacco 3 years ago and don't even have a desire to go back. Good job Bassy :)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Wish I could quit... gonna have another go at it soon.<br /><br /> Every time I try my mother turns up the same day and does/says the most stressful things possible.<br />Last time I tried to quit she suggested that it was time to have my 14yr old dog put to sleep because he had trouble standing up on her extremly slippery waxed floor,then wouldn't shut up about it... I was puffing away within 5 minutes.

tbeaun

Seaman

Started puffing at 12, inhaling at late 13-early 14, smoked until I was 27, when my wife became pregnant with our first child. Was smoking 3 packs a day then & quit cold turkey. From that day & for 16 years didn't smoke. For whatever reason I restarted off & on 3 years ago. Had last cig (again) 6 months ago. Might smoke off & on for the rest of my life but I hope I'm done.

Triton II

Commander

I never smoked... first time I tried one as a 14-yr-old kid I was SOOO sick! So I never tried again and still get queasy if I'm in a smoke filled environment 33 years later! Must be a psychosomatic thing. :p

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Pole shows that there are more smokers here than non smokers and quiters combined. Something has to be wrong with that sample.<br /><br />I quit years ago. Best thing I did for my health and family. In fact, I quit pretty much everything except boating and sex. :D