How many hours does an Outboard last for

drew2302

Seaman Apprentice
What is considered a lot of hours on a Outboard motor. Does anyone know how many hours ( in general ) that ?Mercury Outboard EFI Saltwater 225HP 2004 / 929 Hours / Runs Great ? would be good for ?

beamin1

Cadet
Re: How many hours does an Outboard last for

Same as any other engine, a long time if you take care of it and keep it properly maintained.

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have heard some folks equate 1000 hours on an outboard to 100,000 miles in a car. Like the other poster said, it's all in how you take care of it.

Rob

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just turned 1000 hours on my 22 year old 90 at the end of last season. Motor (and boat) was used strickly for skiing till 2002, which was about 750 of those hours. It is still used for skiing today, but only on our salt water excursions. Overall the motor runs as good as the day it was new. Still has compression numbers of 117-119 in all cylinders. Other than replacing lower unit seals (and an unneeded water pump) along with some hoses and a plastic part or two, the motor mechanically has not cost me a penny.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

1000 hrs is no spring chicken, but not totally used yp either. Is it cheap? . Like everyone else said depends on how it was used/maintained. I think the Opti have info stored such as time at what throttle % and RPM etc. That would be useful information. Reason I say that is I have a buddy with nearly same yr. Merc 115 on an under powered boat and it has ~1000 hrs almost all of them 5000 RPM and 7/8 WOT. I wouldn't buy his at least, unless it was really cheap.