How many cranking amps for a Johnson 25/30?

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 95 E30TELEOB and have been having cranking issues. I replaced my starter, battery cables, and solenoid, and it was still struggling to start, the starter would hardly turn the flywheel. I was using a lawnmower cranking battery with something like 275 or 300 cranking amps. After swapping my trolling motor battery over which has maybe twice the cranking amps, it fired right up nicely. I thought maybe the lawnmower battery just didn't have the juice to crank the motor, but it worked off that battery pretty well for several months. The lawnmower battery will still hold a 13 volt charge. Is it insufficient to start this motor, or does it just have a bad cell or something, and isn't getting the starter the juice it really needs? I like having both a dedicated starting battery and my trolling motor battery so I have a little redundancy but I operate a pretty small craft so I really don't want to have two big marine batteries on board if I can avoid it. Does anyone know how many cranking amps they recommend for this motor?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: How many cranking amps for a Johnson 25/30?

Ive had that before, battery holds chage at 13v but when its load tested it drops too low.
I ran a 400 cranking amp on my 30 for a long time

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How many cranking amps for a Johnson 25/30?

Yeah, I think I had some worn cables and an old starter that was drawing serious amounts of power from the battery which probably caused it's early demise. I will probably just go back to Wallyworld and say "It broke" and hopefully get another, if I can find the receipt.