How many cars and trucks have you had over the years?

sam60

Captain
That slant six was bullet proof too. I was thrown threw the windshield of a valiant station wagon in a T-bone crash without hardly a scratch.

I took ours from Phoenix to Jerome with a radiator leak, put some water in at the top hill and it got us back home.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I strongly disagree. Nostalgia isn't limited to any one generation. As long as a story has "Drugs, sex and Rock n Roll." It sells. There are 20 somethings that have 60 year old bands on their I Phones, and they love it. The cars aren't the stars the characters are. Cars help bring the story together, that's all.

We'll have to disagree. IMO, the things any generation is most nostalgic for, are the things that were dear to them during their formative years. Young people with a passion for old cars are in the minority. Millennials are growing up in an era that defines the car as an appliance, and the vast majority of modern cars are exactly that. They look alike, they act alike, they run reliably and get you from point A to point B with a minimum of fuss and effort. Any modern hot compact is faster, handles and stops better than my '69 AMX., but it's hardly the sort of car that memories are made of.

My .02

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Yeah - 50 years from now I can't see a Tesla or any hybrid like a Prius being collectable.

Many of the cars we've listed were bought by us, today most new cars are leased making them almost throwaway.

sam60

Captain
Yeah - 50 years from now I can't see a Tesla or any hybrid like a Prius being collectable.

Many of the cars we've listed were bought by us, today most new cars are leased making them almost throwaway.

I don't have any car payments because with a 120 mile + per day commute, they are all soon to be disposable. I'd love to be able to have a nice sports car but it's just not in the cards. I enjoyed driving the rusted out Chevys that I paid a hundred bucks for in the late '70's.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
We'll have to disagree. IMO, the things any generation is most nostalgic for, are the things that were dear to them during their formative years. Young people with a passion for old cars are in the minority. Millennials are growing up in an era that defines the car as an appliance, and the vast majority of modern cars are exactly that. They look alike, they act alike, they run reliably and get you from point A to point B with a minimum of fuss and effort. Any modern hot compact is faster, handles and stops better than my '69 AMX., but it's hardly the sort of car that memories are made of.

My .02

John I think you underestimate the appeal and nostalgia automobiles have to Gen Xers and Millennials. Go to a drag strip and see the numbers of young kids that drive their "Tuners" their to compete on a weekend. It isn't Baby Boomers that plop down their George Washington's to watch "The Fast and the Furious" series. What is it 10 movies now? Some kids have 1/2 million miles driving under their belt by the time they are 10 driving/playing XBOX. I put my 16 year old nephew behind the wheel of my car the day he got his beginner's permit. He put it in gear and drove like he had for 30 years. I let him drive my manual, the old fashioned kind with a real clutch not paddle shifters, and no instructions were needed. I asked him what his favorite cars to drive are, Lamborghini's and the Ferrari Enzo, he has never seen a real Lambo or Enzo..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Too early in the morning to think of them. Just reading all the posts is making my head hurt....:doh:

Tnstratofam

Commander
This May I will have had my license 30 years. I have had some cool cars and trucks and some not so cool.

1st car 1948 Ford 2 door coupe. 50 Merc flathead v8 driveline. 3 on the tree. ( Given to me at 13 from my dad as a project. Sold it at 17 because I was tired of working on it. Wish I still had it.)

2cnd 1970 Chevrolet Nova 307 v8 automatic Dark Metallic Green, Green vinyl top, with lime green interior. ( Drove through my learners permit period. Sold before I was 16 because of a lead foot my father accused me of having.)

3rd 1980 Dodge Colt 2 door hatchback Automatic ( Imported Mitsubishi by Dodge for those wondering.)
4rth 1981 Dodge Omni 4 door 4 speed " Gas Miser " ( Had a Volkswagen Rabbit engine )
5th 1980 Mercury Cougar XR7 302, automatic. ( Wrecked 2 weeks after I got my license May 1988. Trooper said I was lucky to walk away.) ( Lead foot nearly ended me!)
6th 1969 Oldsmobile 88 455 4brl automatic. ( It was like driving my grand parents living room couch around.!)
7th 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 350 automatic.
8th 1978 Jeep CJ5 Golden Eagle 304 v8 3 speed. ( First 4x4 ) ( Huge Money pit )

9th 1974 Ford Gran Torino Brougham mildly built 351 Cleveland, automatic. ( First car I paid for all by myself. Bought in 1989 Sold it in 2002)

10th 1974 Datsun 620 pickup. 4cyl 4 speed. ( First pickup.)
11th 1978 Chevrolet Chevette 4cyl 4 speed ( Car was given to me. I gave it away 6 months later to a friend with no car.)
12th 1980 Ford Mustang Inline 6cyl automatic. ( Only 18 at this point. The year is 1990 )
13th 1992 Mazda B2200 Regular cab SE-5 4cyl 5 speed ( Only new vehicle I've ever bought. Bought in 1991 my first year in the Air Force.)
14th 1988 Pontiac Firebird V6 5 speed ( Ex wife got it in the divorce in 1994)
15th 1981 Chevrolet Chevette 4cyl 4 speed ( Also given to me and I gave away to another friend with no car)
16th 1990 Mazda B2600I 4x4 Regular cab 4cyl 5 speed ( Traded 1992 Mazda for it.) ( By the way I'm only 22 at this point.)
17th 1979 Toyota Celica GT coupe 4cyl 5 speed ( Paid $200 for it drove it for 6 years and sold it for $400 )
18th 1978 Chevrolet C10 2wd short bed built 350 Chevy, automatic. ( Nicknamed Big Louie by my friends. Fast truck!)
19th 1985 Buick Regal T-type v6 turbo automatic ( Fast little car Never should have sold this one. )
20th 1991 GMC S-15 Sonoma 2wd 4cyl 5 speed
21st 1978 Dodge 150 sportsman van V8 automatic
22cnd 1980 Toyota 2wd pickup short bed 4cyl 5 speed
23rd 1980 Toyota 2wd pickup long bed 4cyl 5 speed
24th 1987 Toyota 4x4 4cyl 5 speed. ( Stolen twice. Sold it in 2001 with 267000 miles on it.)
25th 1991 Dodge Dakota extended cab 4x4 V6 automatic ( Good truck )
26th 1988 Mustang LX Convertible 302 v8 automatic ( Bought from my dad the original owner in 2003. Sold it in 2016 to help fund my business.
27th 1989 Ford Ranger 2wd 4cy 5 speed.
28th 2002 Toyota Camry 4cl automatic. ( Possibly the best car I've owned so far.)
29th 2001 Ford F150 4x4 extended cab 4.6l v8 automatic ( Bought in 2006 Still own and is a great truck)
30th 1989 Mazda B2600I 4x4 extended cab 4cyl 5 speed. ( just sold in January)
31st 2008 Buick Lucerne 3.8 v6 automatic ( Still own. Very good car )
32cnd 1980 Jeep Cj7 Laredo 6cyl 4 speed ( Still own)
33rd 2007 Ford Econoline E150 Work van ( Still own)

34th 1970 Mustang Mach 1 351 v8 automatic ( Purchased new by my dad in 1969. Restored by my dad and me in 2003. Given to me to keep in family spring of 2017. To be passed down to one of my kids some day.)

Motorcycles:

1979 Honda CT70 Street/Trail (1st motorcycle. Got it when I was 11 )
1976 Kawasaki KE 175 Street/Trail 2 stroke ( wish I still had that one. )
1980 Kawasaki KZ 750 ( I've had it 9 years this past September. Still ride as often as I can.)

Boats:

1988 Stratos 2000xls 350 Chevy OMC drive
1981 Starcraft SS160 75hp Chrysler outboard
1964 Starcraft Jupiter ( Needs restored.)

Still have all 3 boats and am looking for #4 :facepalm:

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Tnstratofam Man that 3rd car of yours didn't come close to the 1st two. From a 70' Nova to a 80 Dodge Colt! I've have 43 years legally behind the wheel and if you keep it up you will have us all beat. Great list. If I can take the time my list should be done soon. Everyday I think of another and have to cut and paste in a new one which changes all the numbers, I have to ditch the numbers. It's been so long I haven't had to use Word I have to ask my wife for advise and that hurts.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Tnstratofam Man that 3rd car of yours didn't come close to the 1st two. From a 70' Nova to a 80 Dodge Colt! I've have 43 years legally behind the wheel and if you keep it up you will have us all beat. Great list. If I can take the time my list should be done soon. Everyday I think of another and have to cut and paste in a new one which changes all the numbers, I have to ditch the numbers. It's been so long I haven't had to use Word I have to ask my wife for advise and that hurts.

Yeah the 80 Colt and 81 Omni were supposed to slow me down a bit. I managed to get the Cougar with the v8 and survived the wreck which led to my mom telling my dad no more little cars for me. I guess she figured I would speed in whatever I drove so might as well have some steel around me for protection.

Nothing like having all my friends see me driving the Nova all summer and then show up for school in the Colt.:facepalm:

southkogs

Staff member
Dunno' that I would have liked the Colt much, but those Omnis could be kinda' fun. I had a bud with one that we dressed up to look like the Shelby GLH version. Until you had to prove it was a Shelby, it passed the visual test :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
John I think you underestimate the appeal and nostalgia automobiles have to Gen Xers and Millennials. Go to a drag strip and see the numbers of young kids that drive their "Tuners" their to compete on a weekend. It isn't Baby Boomers that plop down their George Washington's to watch "The Fast and the Furious" series. What is it 10 movies now? Some kids have 1/2 million miles driving under their belt by the time they are 10 driving/playing XBOX. I put my 16 year old nephew behind the wheel of my car the day he got his beginner's permit. He put it in gear and drove like he had for 30 years. I let him drive my manual, the old fashioned kind with a real clutch not paddle shifters, and no instructions were needed. I asked him what his favorite cars to drive are, Lamborghini's and the Ferrari Enzo, he has never seen a real Lambo or Enzo..

It's a matter of personal perspective, I think. The dragstrip crowd is awfully small. The popularity of the Fast and Furious franchise is because of CGI and how well the movies mimic video games. They aren't about cars or the car culture. They certainly aren't about the ridiculous plots, which is why a 'thoughtful' film with a real plot about cars and life would never sell to the kids. As for the 'flight simulator' approach to learning to drive... heck, part of the reason we oldtimers remember our old cars so fondly is because most of us (me, anyway) survived the truly stupid stunts we pulled in cars with rear-wheel drive, antiquated brakes, suspensions, tires and honkin' engines that had no business in those cars in the first place. The cars were insane and so were we.

Again, we view these things differently, is all. I'd pay to see your film, but few others would.

My .02

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I suggested the lists and haven't done mine. I'm always remembering 1 I forgot everyday. Not in any real order mostly chronological. I remember some like it was yesterday, some I see old grainy pics and don't remember much about them.

1963 Pontiac Parisienne, 2 door hard top, they call them pillarless coupes today. My first car I remember, paid a fellow Dad worked with $1.00 to make it legal back then. 1970.
1965 Chevy Impala 4dr. 283. The car I learned to drive in.
1967 Chev Impala SS, 2 door hardtop. Mom made me sell it after my 3rd ticket. Grade 11.
1967 VW Bug, gas heater, battery under back seat. (I just remembered another car)
1967 MGB, blew engine week 2
1972 Triumph TR6, bought in summer of 73 going into grade 13 with money I made working weekends in grade 12 and summer in the Steel Plant, I had a few 40 hr weekends that winter. My English teacher asked if he could borrow it for a hot date.
1969 Mercedes Benz 280S, Paid 3 grand in 75'. Sold it for 20 in 95' at auction.
1970 Ford T Bird, rounded back seat, sequential tail lights, black with partial white padded roof. 429 I think. The Quadriphonic Muntz 8 track stereo was almost 1/2 the price I paid for it in 74'.
1970 Ford Econoline Van. Used for beach parties and plant truck. Never had a mattress in it, the 1st thing my girlfriends father checked for.
1972 Pontiac something, it was basically a Nova. Flipped a week later.
1965 Ford Galaxy 500, 2 door HT, useless 6 cyl. winter beater, plant car.
1976 Corvette Stingray L-88. Had it when I was 23 when you are supposed to have a Vette, not 43 or 53 like most of my buddy's did years later when they couldn't get in and out of them.
1975 Chevy Malibu, I hated that car because my wife convinced me to sell my Vette when we got married. I thought it was the mature thing to do. That got us an additional $7200.00 towards a new build $55,000 home.
1972 Ford Capri, European in line 6, 4 speed manual, pocket rocket.
1979 Audi 5000S bought as a demonstrator in 80', beautiful car but that thing broke down every few months. Found many VW parts fit thank goodness. How does a frame crack after 35,000 miles?
1981 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. Love Barge, boring, boring. 4-6-8. Never worked as designed GM recalled them and set them for 8 cylinders only.
1977 Dodge Ram. Someone spent big money on chrome with a sewing machine slant 6. Crager wire wheels and DeeZee trims all around. Black and lots of chrome. Nice looking, no guts.
1971 Mercury Marquis Broham, Dad's trade in, I bought most of them, mint condition for a few weeks after I took it in and out of the plant.
1978 Corvette Stingray, Indy Pace Car Edition, detailed and flipped. Bubble rear window, ugly *** Vette.
1980 something Audi 5000S, flipped
1955 Chev Bel Air, painted, some rechrome, interior rugs and flipped. Should I have kept it? Ya think, dummy.
1966 Chevy Caprice SS, 2 door hard top, 327. Inherited from a close Uncle, southern car, Lexington KY, mint That I kept from around 79 until 86 when we built a new home, turned out to be a house, not home. Never drove it, maybe 100 miles.
1969 Ford F something, plant truck.
1988 Hyundai Exel, 1st new car I ever bought, for wife not I. $7200.00 out the door all in. Little 4 speed, never had a problem the 5 years she owned it, She traded it in for another Hyundai 2 door sports car.
Bought 2nd 69' Benz 280S, flipped.

This time period 80's gets confusing I was flipping cars with a buddy, maybe 6 to 8 cars a year. We talked last Saturday and he can only remember a few so I won't count them.

1986 Jeep YJ. A fun car, not a car, not a truck. Later to be called a SUV by some Maddison Ave. add man. It was when AMC owned Jeep I think or was it AMF the bowling ball company that almost bankrupt Harley Davidson, hybrid GM, Ford, Chrysler.
1984 Dodge conversion van, fishing cabin on wheels. We cut holes in the floor and hinged covers over them. Drove on the ice and fished in the warmth and comfort of your living room. Flip down beds, TV and stereo. Microwave and BBQ. Home made porta potty. 5 gallon pail with a toilet seat. Warning, if you use a Coleman stove for heat, open a window.
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix, my new ladies car. Always something wrong with it except the 3.8 V 6, indestructible. She drove it for 7 years.
1986 BMW 3 series 2 door. Bought it in 96' from my cousins wife. A cream puff. I want another but rag top.
1992 BMW 5 series from a buddy, drove it for 10 years, sharp car and a sleeper.
1987 Just remembered. Buick Park Avenue. Bought from my father for $750.00 when he bought a new Oldsmobile. Tranny went a month later, no rebate. He gave my brother his Florida car at the same time and gave him the 750 to ship it to Calgary Alta. Why did I pay $750.00 for a $500.00 car? "You know your brother doesn't have any money!"
2003 Chrysler Intrepid, leased for business after I took my pension and had to buy out. Worse car I have ever owned to drive. It drove you not you drove it, boring as all heck, and would get stuck in 6" of snow. 3 Transmission Communication Modules at 1000 bucks a piece. Once the 4th went I tapped out. Many klics on it I admit, over 350,000 KMS. all highway. I couldn't give it away in 2008. It served it's purpose I suppose.
2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 litre 280 HP, a rocket family sedan. The most dependable car ever. Sadly the tranny went last month. My wife drove it 75 miles a day to work and back. It had 35kms on it and she has put on another 325,000. I serviced it well for her, nothing much other than oil and filters . Everything on that car still works. I did the suggested services like tranny fluid and filter every 100kms, the timing belt at 150,000kms I think and air and cabin filters. Original dual exhaust, plugs, wires, and still blows cold, only 1 AC service. Brakes and batteries of course. I gave it to a pals 20 year old. When he can come up with $1500.00 he has a nice car. Shines like new. I should sell Nissans.
1989 GMC short box stepside, my boat tower. Traded it in for my new then truck. 350 cid and someone put dual exaust on with straight pipes, woke the dead when I started her, I loved that little truck. My wife had to move it one day, came in and said you my dear are getting a new truck. Had pillows on the seat to stop the springs from giving you a colonoscopy. GM gave me $3500.00 as a GM owner retire your ride trade incentive on a new GM product.
2011 Chevy Silverado LS, chrome edition crew cab. 350cid. I have 110,000 kms on her now. Someone gave ma a present last week and dented the rear bumper and bent the tailgate, obviously took off. Estimate is $1400.00. With 500 deductible and maybe, maybe not my insurance will go up according to my agent. I am just going to get a better price and bite the bullet.
2013 Kia Optima. A few weeks ago Ticha bought her Kia Optima. That car surprises me, it is a nice little sports sedan. 2 sunroofs, every bell and whistle one can have on a car for my liking. Use the 6 speed auto/manual shifter and you drive it, not the other way around.

I have to count. I know there has to be at least a dozen flips I don't remember make and year. I know there was a few Camaros and Mustangs, I was going to keep a Camaro but I couldn't refuse the quick buck. I just remembered another, a 76 Alfa Alfetta, sports coupe I drove for a year, how could I forget that beauty.

With the Alfa and the dozen flips I would say around 45. Less than I thought. I'll remember another 1 later I'm sure. I almost lost my mind a minute ago. I go to enter the post and the screen says "Invalid server". I look and I'm no longer logged on. Thankfully this site unlike many others saves your post and you can restore it like I did once I logged on.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I have almost bought a Mercury Capri on 2 occasions. 1 in 1993 from a used car dealer in Omaha. It was a 75 or 76 I think. Had I not been in a marriage on the rocks I would have drove it home. The second one was a few years ago. Local Craigslist add ( out of Knoxville or Asheville I think ) listed a 1974. Blue and loaded.

Seemed in good shape, but I didn't have the funds and our place looked like a cross between a used car dealership, marina, and mechanical contractors shop at the time. The Admiral is pretty tolerant but when she says thin the heard I try to not drag any new projects home until I sell one or two I already have.

I've driven a few over the years. Like the 79 Celica I had the Capri was and is a cool car to me.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Back in the mid-to-late 80s, I had a 1972 Capri like the one in this pic, except mine had a sunroof. I used it as a daily driver/beater to go back and forth to work so that I didn't have to risk my SVO Mustang in all the horrendous northern California traffic in the SF Bay area. Ugh. :rant:

1972 Capri V6
1392389622885.jpg

Attachments

• 1972_Mercury_Capri.jpg
    1972_Mercury_Capri.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Back in the mid-to-late 80s, I had a 1972 Capri like the one in this pic, except mine had a sunroof. I used it as a daily driver/beater to go back and forth to work so that I didn't have to risk my SVO Mustang in all the horrendous northern California traffic in the SF Bay area. Ugh. :rant:

1972 Capri V6

SVO Mustang

I never saw one with a sunroof. It was popular back then to have one installed. If it was electric it was from the factory I would think. They sure were fast well handling cars. Many on the racetracks then. I can't remember what I did with it. Silver Grey.

How about the horrendous southern Ontario traffic on the 400 series highways, plus all the snow, ice, fog, salt and sand in winter, spring and fall. The 400 series highway is the busiest highway in North America and that includes California.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
Learned on a 76 Pontiac station wagon, it was the family's 3rd vehicle. My older siblings wanted to drive the newer83 Ford Country Squire station wagon when home from college. No one fought over the 76 so I always had it to drive.

My first vehicle was a 1986 Mazda B2000, purchased it in 1990.
2nd vehicle was a 1993 Chevy S-10, purchased it in 1993 and kept it until 2000.
3rd vehicle was a 1995 Mercury Sable that I purchased in 2001 from the family after my grandparents passed away
4th vehicle my wife and I purchased new is a 2003 F150, still driving it today
5th vehicle is a hand-me down from my father-in-law since he no longer drives, 2004 Dodge Ram 2500

My wife brought into our marriage a 1998 Honda Civic which is our daily driver with 255k miles.

We will be selling the Ford and Honda this spring and getting a newer Accord or CRV and keeping the Dodge as our TV.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
A good winter thread I think. I just want to thank everyone that contributed to it or read it. Just imagine of we kept just 10% of some of those classics we all had and took them to Barret-Jackson's today. I'd probably just buy more cars and a newer fishing boat.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Might as well get in on this even though my count won't come up to some of your standards.

1953 Ducati 100CC MC
1955 Buick Special Riviera
1959 Thunderbird convertible with 430 CI interceptor
1966 Mustang V8 with bench front seat, new
1960 Corvair 4dr
1963 Chevy Greenbrier van (Corvair)
1955 Pontiac Bonneville 2dr Hardtop
1959 Thunderbird hardtop 351 CI
1965 Plymouth Satellite slant 6
1968 Triumph Spitfire
1966 MGB
1977 Dodge D100 van
1981 Plymouth Horizon TC3
1989 Dodge D50 pickup
1988 Dodge Caravan
1991 Honda Accord
1995 Honda Accord
Yr ? Dodge Shadow
1995 Dodge Dakota PU
1999 Honda C RV
2009 Honda Accord
2011 Chevy Colorado PU

82rude

Rear Admiral
Not sure I did this list oldironmaker,but if it makes you feel anybetter in 76 I turned down a original numbers matching 440 Plymouth superbird for the princely sum of 4400 then .I believe its gone up a tad since then.Looked at a ls6 1970,drove a 429 scj cougar ,I did own a 383 1970 superbee balanced and blueprinted with the pistol grip shifter and bench seats because they weighed less than buckets .Posi,ramair,4 speed ,very fast for a large car.I see a few guys mentioned three on the tree.Talk about theft proof vehicle today!