How long do you let it nickel and dime ya?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: How long do you let it nickel and dime ya?

My wife's 95 GC just turned 200k. Runs like a champ and tows the Sanger well. Gotta love no payments!

NYMINUTE

Captain

You will know when enough is enough. See if you got the boat like I told you, right now you'd be spending loot on it, and it would be a no brainer, New Tow Vehicle too!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Payments, I have no payments.<br />That is why I run them till warranty is about to expire and get rid of them.<br />Still good vehicles and can get top dollar from them.<br />Heck, the new truck is just now ready for it's first oil change.<br />The Jeep has about 1500 miles on it now, so it's not like I run them to death and they are still in good shape when I go to sell them.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My dad's 4.0L Cherokee is in the shop every month. Almost a ritual. Every time it's $600. Be about the same as payments + insurance.

rwise

Captain

My 84 Dodge Ram has been paid for a while now, outside of brakes, tires, oil changes, the expected wear parts I have done nothing but drive it. It starts good, pulls my boat, takes me anywhere I want to go, and for far less than a new (whatever) would cost per month! I do my own repairs, when/if needed, and I am happy with it. Can't really say how many miles is on it, but I've rolled the odometer once myself. Some years ago we bought an almost new S10 4x4, good vehicle, but the payments were more than repairs on the others we had at the time put together.<br />Use good oil, change the filters, keep it tuned up, and drive it tell it drops!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Whenever I pay off a vehicle, I keep putting the monthly payment amount in a savings account to use for repairs on the vehicle. The account usually grows steadily indicating I'm saving money by not buying another new car. The only car I had to give up on was a Saab 9000. Repairs were just too pricey on that specialty piece of Swiss crap.

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

*dupe post sorry*

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

'87 4Runner - 319k and some change..<br />Needs timing chain / clutch / tires / brakes / exhaust. Am keeping it for pulling the boat.<br /><br />'95 4Runner - 175k (ish)<br />Needs tires. Better AC . Still would rather use the older 4Runner (even tho it's a 4banger) to pull the boat.<br /><br /> :)

eeboater

Commander

Actually, what we are doing is when the payment on the GC was eliminated, we redirected that money to a payment on a different item. So, effectively we doubled the payment on that alternate item thus paying down the principle twice as fast as we were prior to paying off the Jeep.<br /><br />Sean