How do you shift gears?? Merc 9.9 Four stroke

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New to me motor. No manual with it
I seriously cant tell if motor is messed up or I'm doing something wrong.
Tiller handle 2010

So start in Neutral. Fine
Turn it towards Forward it goes.

I slow down the boat and how do I get into Neutral again??
It slows then when I keep turning towards Neutral its like I'm in an another type of forward as the boat revs up. I try to slow it down and hit hard resistance shifting to Neutral unless i force it then it goes right to Reverse! Not so good.

Spent an hour on the internet trying to find out the way the shift lever works on this thing.

I feel so stupid. Am I missing something? Is there a technique here???

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Shifting is done by twisting the tiller handle?
I suspect someone has been tinkering with the Idle Speed and/or Throttle Linkage, and that can lead to it being difficult to shift out of Gear
You need the Factory Service Manual to get this system set up and adjusted correctly

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you this is possible yes,
Exactly.... how do you shift gears with this tiller handle shift mechanism please?? (even if it may be obvious to you and Should be to me?) Please describe...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You merely twist the Grip, to move from Gear to Gear. Further movement increases speed. If you are asking how it does this, again the answer is to get the Service manual for that particular Motor. The how's and what's would be in there

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kindly help? Super easy question if you own a 9.9 four stroke tiller motor. I don't want to wreck these gears if I'm doing it wrong.

Someone Please?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So
1. start in Neutral, fast idle means turning it towards Reverse but not too far..
2. Sharply turn towards forward and boat goes forward
3. To slow down into Neutral I would slow down to idle ... and then should it just pop into Neutral as I keep turning the handle????

Believe me I feel dumb for asking. Clarity is everything when troubleshooting. Thanks again

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Problem solved: Brought to dealer- they adjusted linkage and lowered idle, now it shifts easily. This fixed the problem. now it all makes sense

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Problem solved: Brought to dealer- they adjusted linkage and lowered idle, now it shifts easily. This fixed the problem. now it all makes sense
I was going to suggest just that. If you have never worked on certain things sometimes it's best to have a qualified mechanic service, it. The previous owner did not do that, I've seen a lot of owner related stuff over the years. Most of the time I explain to the owner how things work and how one thing works with the other. Makes them happy and gets return business from them.
Still get the factory manual as it'll help with regular service and repairs in the future.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Kindly help? Super easy question if you own a 9.9 four stroke tiller motor. I don't want to wreck these gears if I'm doing it wrong.

Someone Please?
The slower you go eventually it will shift into neutral. If you keep going it will shift into reverse. Get a manual or go to a dealer and have him explain this simple process to you.