HOW DO YOU PREPARE YOUR TAXES?

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HOW DO YOU PREPARE YOUR TAXES?

TurboTax direct over the internet.<br /><br />Point.<br />Click.<br />Done! ;) <br /><br />Butch A.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd say in most cases for small businesses, it's best to use your own computer and suitable software to do the number crunching yourself - but use an accountant or other qualified person to check what you're doing, to make sure you're not paying more tax than you need to.

eeboater

Commander

I'm going turbotax this year. I used to do it online, last year went with H&R Block (what a ripoff by the way) so this year i'm going digital and buying the application.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When working overseas, I let the CPA do it cause I was getting a huge refund. I figured the IRS would not question it as much. I think it was about 200 bucks to let her do it.<br /><br />Now that I am working in the USA, I do my own.<br /><br />I have enough dependants and low house payments, so no use itemizing deductions. Not even close to the standard deduction.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Since I left the ranch and sold my cattle I just go to the IRS website. I am lucky enough to be low income so it is free to file. <br />Mine now is easy, I use 1440EZ. All I have to do is enter the totals from my 3 jobs, enter totals from qifes 2 jobs and school stuff, enter for the deductions, child credit, head of houshold and everything else. I don't have enough deductions anymore to beat the standard deduction so I don't even bother to itemize anymore.

Link

Rear Admiral

steve n carol<br />f_inscreenname & MellowYellow pretty much summed it up for my thoughts on it.

aspeck

Staff member

CPA does mine, and I check him with Turbo Tax. He usually does a better job than Turbo Tax, and if I get audited, he faces the tax man, not me. CPA is a friend, so it usually costs less than $75 for the work, and I have a mini-book when we are finished. He always complains that mine return is about the most complicated, for someone that doesn't earn much, and gives away what he earns ...

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys...sl<br />I think I'll send my stuff to aspeck's CPA!

FSHKPR

Ensign

always do my own and use either turbo tax or tax cut by h& r block. both have been good programs for me.

mattttt25

Commander

i didn't read all the posts, so someone may have mentioned this....<br /><br />i highly recommend using the online version of turbo tax for everyone, even if you plan to go with a cpa or other means. the program is 100% free right up until the very end when you are ready to file. you can review your return and see how much you are getting back or owe, before you pay anything. if you're then comfortable with it, you pay the fee and file. if not, just close it up.<br /><br />just didn't know if people realized that. don't get that benefit with the store purchased version.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Q. "how do you prepare your taxes?"<br /><br />A. I start with that line on page 2 where it says "amount you want refunded to you," and work backwards!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've used the online "Taxslayer" for the last 3 years. It was easy and inexpensive. I think it was around $10. No program to download or buy.

aspeck

Staff member

sl, by the way, my CPA was an IRS auditer before he went in business for himself. Personally I have never been audited, but when we owned the dealership IRS hounded us for 3 years in a row. They went back 5 years, trying to find problems. When it was all said and done, they owed us $78. Not bad for 8 years of returns. IRS never stepped foot in our dealership, always at CPA's office, and we were never present. Worry, yea, we did that a bit, but never had to face the tax man. They wanted to audit more, but CPA declared that enough was enough, a threatening letter to tax man's supervisor called off the dogs.<br /><br />Yea, a good CPA is worth his hire. And he IS tax deductible!