How do you go about painting the Hull?

Johnny Be Cool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1990 Regal 233XL Ambassador Cabin Cruiser. The previous owner, did a horrible job bondoing some scratches and repainting the colored section of the entire hull with spray cans. I don't know if wet sanding will get me back to the original gell coat, besides if I did, I still have to contend with the crappy ding repairs.

Please advise on what to do to restore the hull.

Thanks.

IMG]http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab159/prayers3737/July232010004.jpg[/IMG]

Johnny Be Cool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How do you go about painting the Hull?

Can someone tell me if my picture shows up. This is the first time I'm using photobucket. If it didn't please tell me how to do it. thanks!

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is missing the first [

July232010004.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

That's a lot of rattle can paint then isn't it:eek::eek: It may be too much, but the previous owner of my Sea Ray did the same thing. On mine I was able to remove the rattle can paint using the heavy duty shop style paper towels and acetone. I then was able to just buff the original gel coat and get the shiine back. A few really bad spots I wet sanded and buffed but most was just buffed. I also had an area that was damaged and poorly repaired. I can only guess that is why he painted the whole stripe above the rub rail a different color. For the damaged area I was able to use Rust-o-Leum that was very very close in color to the gel coat and I painted only the small damaged section. I blended the paint, wet sanded, and buffed and you can hardly tell a difference in the color. You can see the results in the link below. Like I said you may have too much to use this approach, but I thought I'd let you know. Good luck.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=424076

Johnny Be Cool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. You did a Great job on yours, many hours of elbow grease but a hugh payoff! Did you put a new bow rail on or reuse the old one. Was it hard putting it back on?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I re-used the rub rail that I had. Mine had a rubber rub rail so it was easy to put back on. On my boat I just couldn't see spending the money for a replacement.