How do you "Cruise" the bahamas?

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, so my wife and I were in the market for a vacation home but have begun to broaden our scope and think outside the proverbial box.

On our last trip to St. Lucia, we loved watching the bay and the moored yachts and salboats and thought "THAT is the life" - so now we wonder, why can't WE have that life?

So, thinking long term, how does one "cruise" the bahamas / carribean - assume knowledge of charts, navigation, safety, etc.

We don't want to sail - that takes too much effort :) We basically want to visit the various islands and go where we wanna go. But what we DON'T know is, what is the minimum size boat necessary for cruising - but mostly mooring - in bays and harbors?

This is more of a 5 yr plan so we're beginning to gather the information we need now. Our next step is to charter a "yacht" for our next vacation just to make sure that is what we REALLY want to do with our vacation home money

thanks!

sasto

Captain
Re: How do you "Cruise" the bahamas?

It is pretty simple once you have done it couple of times. Been from Walkers Cay to the Carib a couple dozen times. A book that helped me the most was by a sailboater titled something like "The Leeward Passage to the Carrib". Have fun.

sasto

Captain

The book title is "The Unthorny Path" Not a bible but some useful info regarding sea conditions and how to avoid the hassles of the low pressure systems, trade winds and use the land effect winds to your advantage while traveling thru there. Somewhat useful in finding marinas, accomindations, rations, and fuel.

crw1957

Seaman

We went many years ago, 1990, in a 23 foot cuddy. Spent 5 days. Purchased a cruising permit and a fishing permit. No A/C and limited provisions. How comfortable do you want to be? That is the question. I could have stayed a month. How long will you stay?

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at that book. As for length of time, I'd probably say 2-3 weeks with a good portion of the time moored in a bay or harbor.

WIth the 23' cuddy, was it your own or rented? From where did you start the cruise?

sasto

Captain

We traveled the Carib for 8 winters in a 58 Viking Sportfish. Our main port was Stuart, FL. Great Lakes in the summer. Once had a 32 Cuddy travel with us to Dominican Republic with no problem, Husband, wife and 2 kids aboard that boat. My best friend was a laptop connected to Globalstar sat. for internet access to get weather reports and local info. We were fair weather boaters and normally followed behind a low pressure system or in front of a high in nothing more than 3 foot seas. In my opinion weather is the most important thing to study and the book will help. Relax and have fun.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you're gonna spend you vacation home cash, I would look into the bigger, more comfortable RV on the water. Look into the 38-45' range, unless you would go bigger.

Boats tend to get small once you're on them for a while. My wife and I are fine on our 37' (40 LOA), but throw the kids in as well and after 2 days I'm ready to scuttle the ship.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I lost contact with him a few years back , but you might do well to contact Jerry from Naked Girl Cruises- dont google it-google him. :eek: I will try to find his card for you. Or you can ask the concierge at Atlantis....they are really helpful.

He owns and runs a ferry from Nassau to Paradise Island ( where Atlantis is) , and is really a good guy. Took us out a couple days in his junker to cruise around and snorkel. Good people, and he knows quite a bit about the islands.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lost contact with him a few years back , but you might do well to contact Jerry from Naked Girl Cruises- dont google it-google him. :eek: I will try to find his card for you. Or you can ask the concierge at Atlantis....they are really helpful.

He owns and runs a ferry from Nassau to Paradise Island ( where Atlantis is) , and is really a good guy. Took us out a couple days in his junker to cruise around and snorkel. Good people, and he knows quite a bit about the islands.

hey, i appreciate that. It's possible it simply isnt for us so we dfinitely want to try it out first.

It seems so simple - cruise around, go where you wanna go. Moor in a bay/harbor, go ashore for supplies (ie. Rum) or excursions.

I wish I liked sailing more - it would definitely cut down on costs in terms of fuel....

sasto

Captain

Two places I found most US boaters was Marsh Harbor, Abacos, and Georgetown Exumas. Many boats moored at either in a fairly safe harbor. I would avoid Nassau, commercialized and alot of "tigers" (street people). Depends on what you are looking for. You could fly over to Grand Bahama and get on the mail boat for under $50 to travel the islands. No quarters on boat or provisions. Bring your own. Stay in a cheap motel or local rent room.