how do you cover your boat

gazelle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks. Just bought an 08 1952. I was wondering what you guys do to protect you boat from the elements, or do you just leave it out in the open all the time.

Currently mine is in a freshwater slip and in the winter I will be parking it in the back yard. What do you folks do to keep it looking nice.

Thanks
Gazelle

gazelle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: how do you cover your boat

anyone have suggestions? Do you have a custom cover...do you just cover it with a tarp....do you just let it collect leaves in the fall? No right answers here, just trying to figure out what my options are.

With my old boat I tried parking it in one of those white temporary tents/sheds but the wind is so strong where I live in the winter it shredded the tarp side material and actually bent the metal frame. So I am looking for a better alternative this winter.

seren

Cadet

I have a 2002. I use the 10x20 heavy duty tarp bought at Walmart. I would have the soft top rolled up and booted, then either have it stand up (to provide a higher prop for the water to roll off the tarp) or have it rested on the windshield (to provide a softer prop (than the windshield) for the tarp) . The back of the tarp would go about 4 inches past the transom, tie to the tilt up outboard, and both ends down the side. The front of the tarp would go half way out to the front, over the railing, and either go down to the sides or fold back over the railing and tied together. I saw another owner covered his Trophy this way and I thought that's a cheap and effective way to cover his Trophy. Actually because his boat is on the wet, his tarp was smaller and would cover only half of the cockpit. But still, it would be enough to protect the electronics, the seatings and the soft top, and it's easy to set up, take down, and put away.

SoFloStone

Seaman

I have an inquiry into Letas Top Shop to see if they make an original boat cover for the 2002 WA FF. If they do, then this is what I will be using, as they have the original Bayliner patterns.

http://www.letastopshop.com/

I would prefer to have a custom fit cover to protect the boat.

I will let you guys know if they have them.

Killafornia

Cadet

I have the 1902 walk around and use the cheap ($150) heavy duty gray boat cover. It's not custom but it covers the boat and keeps the UV off it.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I built a 15'x 30' all metal car(boat?)port to park my pontoon under and the 4 wheeler and a few other items.
Mike

TRUE GRIT

Cadet

I found a old pool 20x40' rectangular pool cover - made a tent post from a 2X4 that ran down the inside of the winch post I also made a second one for inside the cockpit that sits nested in a plywood 2x2 base then of the back a opened my 12 ft A frame ladder spliced 2 16 ft 2x4s together to run atop of the posts & ladder. then draped the cover over the top and down the sides of the boat I secured all the side either with bungee or tied on old gallon jugs. Nothing gets in, thus no water in the fish boxes, the pitch of it allows the snow to fall off mostly on its own or just with a light tap of the cover plus this tent set up allows me to climb up from the ladder and work freely about the boat while out of the elements its not pulled down so air does circulate I've even worked in the foulest winter weather and used my Coleman heater under there and it was toasty of course I used a drop light as there was no other source of illumination

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This Year Im Covering My 89 Bayliner Capri With My Back Hoe, Really , Im Done With That Piece Of

ronj

Seaman

Go
MVC-002S-10.jpg
t old cleaning it all the time. Had cover made that covers everything. Ron

Dr. Gonzo

Recruit

That sounds like a reasonable approach if you live in an area w/out heavy snow. There is a problem with the railings and tarp forming a pool with the weight of snow, and thus a LOT of snow melt & subsequent ice build up if you don't have proper support up front. I have the 2002 walk-around and used only a single support post up front under the tarp this winter and it does NOT work. What I plan for next winter is using various blocks of foam along the walk-way up front to keep the tarp from sagging & creating the ice-pool problem.

i have been looking for a cover for my 1903. it has a t-top. the 'semi-custom' covers i have seen rely on a rope that cinches the cover to the boat and straps that go under the boat to trailer it. the straps would be great but the boat will be docked this year and i will only see it every other weekend. the cinch cord doesn't look like it would hold up to a ton of rain weight. i do not want to screw a bunch of snaps to the boat. the less holes in a boat the better! what do you guys do for a mooring cover ? do you think the cinch cord would provide the protection i need? TIA

jakenjulie

Cadet

Just bought a 2000 1903 and am about to get a cover for it. Looking at the semi-custom Westland covers. Mine will be either on a trailer or a hoist so I can use the std straps but I've seen those suction-cup tie downs advertised; wonder how well they work?

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The mega manufacturer is Westland covers. They make covers for everything. The make covers out of inexpensive material all the way up to Sunbrella. Iboats and Go2Marine sell Westland covers. They are semi custom made for each boat and sell for 1/3 the price of a true custom canvas cover.

http://www.westlandcovers.com/