How do promotions happen?

dmiller

Seaman Apprentice
i was a first mate in the morning and noticed i was a captain in the afternoon! how did that happen?<br /><br />and what is an admiral?

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do promotions happen?

Its all based on the number of posts.<br />Newbies are first mates.<br />Captains are those with I believe more than 10 posts. (It might be twenty, I'm not sure)<br />Admirals are those with 1000 posts<br /><br />And then there's JB. He's the Ancient Mariner. :eek: <br />He hit his 4000th post and we're trying to think of a new name for him. :) <br /><br />Around here, we're not too hung up on "titles". Anyone can sit and reply to posts just to get their numbers up. As you cruise these boards, you'll pick up the two dozen or so "Regulars" who have vast years of knowledge and are willing to help. On the flip side, there are also a handfull who are more interested in causing trouble. What can I say, here we have a true democracy in action :D .<br /><br />Enjoy,<br />Nav :cool:

dmiller

Seaman Apprentice

perhaps we should call JB "Admiral of the Keyboard"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Capt. DMiller.<br /><br />I think Admin5 has discretion in assigning titles.<br /><br />He posted once that his decisions to assign titles are determined by a member's contribution to the forum.<br /><br />Thus, a member might, with some very helpful posts become a Captain with 10 to 20 posts and others not until they had posted 100 or more times.<br /><br />Congratulations! :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Just noticed that too, JB. I like it :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I've noticed there isn't a "Cabin Boy" around here. This would be a good title change for Sloopy for his 1000th post which should be coming in the next week or so...<br />And I'm noooo Captain, more of a dock hand or fish cleaner!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I second CalicoKids nomination for Sloopys new title....."Cabin Boy"... LOL :D

dmiller

Seaman Apprentice

lol Cabin Boy it is then. from here on in i will officially refer to him as that.

D

DJ

JB,<br /><br />What do you think of the new handle?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like it. Sloopy has become sort of a mascot for some of us and a pain in the butt to others. Cabin Boys were like that.<br /><br />What do you think, Sloop? :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I hope we can get Admin5 to play along... That would be great... ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

JB, I like your new title and best of all it is untouchable! Welcome back from the wedding!<br /><br />Bob :)

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the shiny new handle JB....I like it.<br /><br />I have'nt seen a reply from Cabin boy (00-Boaty)?<br /><br />Sure is a great fourm.<br /><br />Derwood.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the shiny new handle JB....I like it.<br /><br />I have'nt seen a reply from Cabin boy (00-Boaty)?<br /><br />Sure is a great fourm.<br /><br />Derwood.

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Sloop. Love him or hate him you can't help but notice him. Calico thats an inspiration. Cabin Boy it is. Hey Sloop, its a term of indearment..... J.B. O Ye Ancient Mariner, I have just one word for you. Sir.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My vote is for "Cabin Boy" ROF.<br />As long as Sloopy takes it as intended.

sloopy

Commander

I'm fine with it :) but it's admin's vote :)

gonfishn

Commander

Fits you perfect JB. Make sure you let your Friends know at LOTW when you go up the next time.<br /><br />Sloopy has had so many different handles whats one more. No matter what he goes by we all have our special names for him. His Popularity has increased quite a bit since being wounded during the last War........