How do inspect under the floor?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 1974 Rinker 15ft. trihull with what looks like a fiberglass impregnated plywood floor??? The floor is pretty solid but the boat leans to the left when sitting still in the water. Could there be water-soaked foam under the floor?.. how do I check for that?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How do inspect under the floor?

Have a 1974 Rinker 15ft. trihull with what looks like a fiberglass impregnated plywood floor??? The floor is pretty solid but the boat leans to the left when sitting still in the water. Could there be water-soaked foam under the floor?.. how do I check for that?

Is there any soft spots in the deck?
Anything heavy sitting on the port side that might cause it to lean?
After pulling the boat out of the water and you pull the plug how much water comes out?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any soft spots in the deck?
Anything heavy sitting on the port side that might cause it to lean?
After pulling the boat out of the water and you pull the plug how much water comes out?

There is a spot right in the center in front of the outboard motor that has a little "give " to it but thats it. I'll have to put it in the water and see what comes out of it.... I did that before but rain affected the results...

drem312

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep,,,foam loves water,,, the gas tank is not in the floor correct? can you use a 16 inch 1/4 inch drill bit and test just measure so so dont drill thru the hull and go thru the plwood straight down into the foam .

rickryder

Commander

First is your fuel tank under the deck?
Second do you know where it is?
If you know that I would stay away from that area with a drill!
Ok I would take a 2" hole saw and cut a plug out of the plywood deck.
Then take a piece of 1 1/2" plumbing tail piece,the thin metal ones you can get at the Home Depot or Lowes long enough to reach to the bottom of your hull. Push the pipe down with a twisting motion through the foam and pull it out,you will have a core sample of the foam in the pipe. Use something to push the foam out of the pipe,like a broom stick,squeeze the foam and see if it's full of water. If your all dry down there you can check other places.... When your done you can put the foam plug back in the hole and the wood plug and glass over it to seal it back up.

If you find water saturation in your foam you will be cutting out your deck,removing the foam,checking your stringers for rot and while your at it drilling core samples in your transom....ask me how I know this! or just read my resto thread.... Good Luck!

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat uses a portable gas tank so that shouldnt be a problem. I dont have any reason to believe it has an internal one. Now when I drill the inspection hole, is there a certain spot that would better to drill?... Like closer to the bow, or how far from the side?... thanks!

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

btw this is a tri-hull

rickryder

Commander

Well you said it leans to the port side...I would start port side aft.... I imagine you have some sort of bilge area, so go in front of that and to the port side a bit that should be some of the deepest point of the hull. Pics of what your working on are very helpful too. :)