How do I tell if my stringers are stuffed?

ILLaViTaR

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I'm restoring an old aussie 16ft fibreglass boat (needs a new floor and transom) and I was just wondering with the stringers is there any way I can verify they are solid? They're encapsulated in fibreglass and look like they' be an absolute ***** to replace.

I've drilled a few test holes and the wood didn't appear rotten or wet but the thing is the boat was sitting with the front of the trailer down for the last 6 months, therefore water accumulated in the front of the hull. The stringers were submerged for the entire 6 months so I'm a bit worried now last thing I want to do haha is put in a new transom/floor and have to pull it all out again! Would all that water be of concern? How do I check them?

Any help would be much appreciated!!
cheers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: How do I tell if my stringers are stuffed?

Drilling core samples as you have done is one of the best methods to determine if the wood core of the stringers has been compromised. if the wood shavings are indeed light in color and dry then it may be that the fiberglass encapsulation did it's job and kept the water out and you are good to go. make sure and drill in several places down low towards the hull and if this runs true in many places, I'd fill the holes with 3M 5200 sealant and move on with the restoration.