How do I secure Seat back?

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All
I am in the middle of "starting" to redo my bow seats. The bolts for the back rests are buried behind the top cap, so the only way to remove them is to cut the seat open or pull the top cap of the boat. After I get the back rests out what is the best way to secure them back where they belong? (with out taking the top off the boat) I was thinking of cutting a Keyhole slot where the bolt goes and just put screws into the back if the cushions. So they would push on and slide down to lock in.
Anyone think this will work or have an easier method. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thankx

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I secure Seat back?

Mine were secured using double ended plastic push in doohickeys. Like the fasteners used to attach moulding around wheel wells on cars, except they are double ended. I need some more myself, but don't know where to find them. I can take pictures of mine if you want and/or let you know when I find some.

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mine were secured using double ended plastic push in doohickeys. Like the fasteners used to attach moulding around wheel wells on cars, except they are double ended. I need some more myself, but don't know where to find them. I can take pictures of mine if you want and/or let you know when I find some.

Auto body Supply?

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

im guessing I just drill back of ply for seat and insert the clip right?

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

yes sir. In my case, I had bare wood panels without foam or vinyl on them, so I just clamped the seat backs where they go and drilled through the wood and fiberglass at the same time to make sure the holes were lined up perfectly. I used a small drill bit because I don't know what size fasteners I will end up with. Most of the old ones were trashed when I pulled them out. Then when I get the fasteners, I will just enlarge the holes to the right size. If you aren't taking the foam off you'll have to do your best to match the holes up. Hope that makes sense.