how bout we get back to helping people fix their boats :-)

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how bout we get back to helping people fix their boats :)

I'm crying Uncle! I've learned tons from this forum and I'm always respectful to those that know more than me. I try to give back what I do know and I agree, things have gotten mighty testy around here lately. I usually end up laughing my A** off just reading the threads but I've learned what to expect and from who. Some just like to give their wise crack answers and push someones buttons. What's with all the fbombs and political retoric? This forum seems to have become a sitcom and I'm not sure why.<br /><br />BTW - I did by the Service Manual for over $100 bucks and the Owners Manual for over $40 bucks and books on fiberglass repair etc. I'm in the throws of a complete overhaul and I still have questions, lots of them. However, I've been told by more than one boater on this forum that I should sink my rig and put myself out of this misery. We'll I try to let it roll off my back but it pisses me off because it's uncalled for. Why don't the moderators clean up some of this crud or at least give some friendly warnings?

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with that. I feel very strongly about my restore project. The same as someone restoring a '69 Firebird or something. I can take all the jokes and grumpy old mariners all day long, but some of the people here are downright nasty.<br /><br /><br />CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??

Speedwagon

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I can suggest, is that when you see a post that is like that, use the "report post" button. It might bring more attention to the problem you are experiencing, and get the desired results.<br /><br />This is, of course, assuming that you aren't already using that button.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, No one wants to get anybody in trouble. Some people just have a different sense of humor (or lack thereof), and it can be discouraging to those of us who have a LOOONG WAY TO GO.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I know there is alot of negetivity on the forums sometimes,Thats just part of it being a PUBLIC forum.<br />I just let it roll of my back and forget it.What else can you do anyway?<br />The amount of knowlege we all get from reading these forums well outweigh the occasional rude remark.<br />So just lighten up guys and enjoy the info and help when we can.We are all not experts,just general mechanics learning more all the time from reading.<br />Think of all the great jokes and stories and let the little things go..<br />Just my opinion....

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You want a whippin'? <br />Go to Dockside Chat! ;) :p :p :D .....JK<br />If you voted for Dubya we'll beat ya like a red-headed stepchild :)

tommays

Admiral

New posters: Read this first.<br /><br /> i dont beat people up BUT nobody seems to read this or provide the info it requests ?<br /><br />Many people dont seem to want to invest in a manual and then spend the time to read it<br /><br /><br />I never see people take a beating when they say i dont understand this part of the manual can you help me :) <br /><br />tommays

KaGee

Admiral

Hey guys, I have a boat, it don't run right, whats could be wrong?? :rolleyes:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

By post, count all those with issues are new comers. It seems to take time to adjust to this type of forum and get a handle on the personalities of the other boarders. Just read on with a grain of salt and use the info you deem helpful and cast the rest off. Like Haut Medoc said if ya want some real spice stop by Dockside Chat for a while. ;) :D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Hey guys, I have a boat, it don't run right, whats could be wrong?? :rolleyes:
Could be broke.........

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Hey guys, I have a boat, it don't run right, whats could be wrong?? :rolleyes:
You forgot to preface it with "Hey Don...."

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL @ Aldo :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Opinions are like butts -- everbody has one. Ask a question on any forum and there will generally be a multitude of answers ranging from "out there" to "spot on". Take the information you need and go with it. Ignore responses you don't like. If one gets "ripped" for asking a question but a valid answer is the result, consider the ripping the cost of doing business.

8x56mn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's cost nothing to be polite and courteous to those who ask a question, if you can't, than keep still. Some on here act as though there rocket scientists or something, get over yourself.

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

This place ain't near as bad as a couple of guitar forums I get on. Those people can get down right rude.<br />I ignore the idiots and appreciate the helpful posts.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

What forums allow you to do is realize how little people know about communicating and using the english language. Many find it difficult to get to the point, and then the point is pointless.<br /><br />My pet peeve involved shop manuals. Mercruiser is so concerned about liability and cramming everything they can into a single book that you need to go to school to learn to read the manual.<br /><br />Lots of good info on this post, and the pros will help if you ask the question in a clear, understandable fashion.<br /><br />I do a lot more reading than I do posting replies.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the creator gave us 2 eyes, 2 ears, and one mouth, they should be use in proportion, but some think the 10 digits on our hands need to be used in porportion.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a recipient of lots of good information here, I'm glad I've never been jumped on by anyone for some of the silly questions I ask.<br /><br />That said, I can understand some of the frustration. I've followed a lot of these threads, and some of them are just tragic.<br /><br />"Cuts out at full throttle and dies at idle."<br />"Did you check your fuel?"<br />"Yeah, I did, and it's fine."<br />then a string of fifty or sixty time-consuming posts, ending with<br />"Guess wha" I checked my fuel and there was water in it." <br /><br />Most of you take this forum very seriously and when the person asking for help takes it less seriously than you do, it's bound to lead to frustration. <br /><br />Thanks for all the help over the years!!

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br />
You forgot to preface it with "Hey Don...."
Ok, Aldo, that one went over my head. Nice to see you have been to church. I don't know what kept the roof up. ;) Please save bandwidth by emailing me the explanation. I wouldn't want to be put in the penalty box. :D