How Big Can I Trailer?

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a little advice on boat selection and trailering. I'm in the market for one of three boats. In order of preference:

Model LOA Beam Dry Weight
Chaparral 290 30'8" 10' 9700
Sundancer 290 31'1" 9'6" 9250
Chaparral 280 29'0" 9'6" 9100

My trailering need is 16 miles over 30-45 mph state roads twice a year. Roads are fairly tight around here in CT, especially the last mile to the water.

My original plan was to hire someone with a hydraulic trailer. Got estimates around $500-$700 each way. The major advantage is someone else deals with it and I no longer have to deal with trailer brakes in salt water. I can also paint the bottom easier. Some years I could even just leave at the marina for about $1500, but I prefer to work on it at home. One of the things I don't like is that in the rare case of a hurricane scare I likely won't be able to get the boat out. I would rely on one or two people.

My other option is to buy a trailer. I recently saw all these boats on trailers. I would likely hire someone to tow, which is significantly cheaper than the hydraulic trailers. My father has a 2004 6.0L diesel F-250 but I think his hitch is 2" and we are reluctant to tow something that big. Unfortunately with trailer I have to deal with painting the bottom, and I doubt I could jack it up like I do on my current 4000 lb boat.

So I was looking for any helpful advice. I feel much more comfortable with the chap 280 just by looking at the size. But the numbers don't appear to be much different. Although I think the 10' beam is unfortunately just pushing it too much. Any helpful advice?

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anything over 8’-6” in my state is oversize.

tpenfield

Staff member
8’-6” is the typical limit to tow without oversized permits. Some states are 8’-0”. So, you’ll be getting the permit.

all of those boats should be fine to tow.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
legal road limit in most states is 8'-6" on highways. back roads may be less. check your local state requirements. you will most likely need a permit

your fathers F250 diesel should pull all those just fine, however will be at the top of of the towing capacity (depending on actual truck and gear). trailer will be another 2000# or so and the fuel and gear will be about 1000#

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2004_All.pdf

alldodge

Staff member
The Fed limit is 8.5 but depends on states your hauling. I have no issue hauling my 9.5 anywhere. There is a guy on OSO which has a 11 wide 33 footer and has moved it to a several states without issue. Now that said all it takes is one officer to cause some problems.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums...igh-overall-height-need-trailer-advice-4.html

1_51bc1011d296ae02e24aef91f5bd9ba51776200e.jpg

ahicks

Captain
Problems likely minimized if towing early early Sunday morning (6 am) when there's very little traffic - vs. towing in Friday afternoon rush hour.

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm well aware of the limits and their ridiculous time restraints. Everyone I called also not surprisingly prefers to go when they're is little traffic instead of rush hour. I prefer to stay safer even if it contradicts the government permits. In the end its up to the towing company.

But I'm looking for more practical advice. Is there a noticeable between 1000 lbs at these weights? Will companies say no 10' and yes to 9'6". Will there be noticeable price difference? Is a weight distributing setup absolutely required, and how will it be compatible with different towing vehicles?
How do you paint the bottom sitting on a bunk trailer?

tpenfield

Staff member
How far are you going to tow and how often?

See my my comments within the quote . . .

But I'm looking for more practical advice. Is there a noticeable between 1000 lbs at these weights? Less than a 10% difference 1000 lbs makes at these weights, so it is not a game changer.

Will companies say no 10' and yes to 9'6". I thought you would be doing the towing :noidea:

Will there be noticeable price difference? In terms of what? :noidea:

Is a weight distributing setup absolutely required, and how will it be compatible with different towing vehicles? For local travel, probably not. Highway travel, maybe

How do you paint the bottom sitting on a bunk trailer?
tougher to paint the bottom. You’ll be jacking up one side at a time with lifting pads

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you are going to be towing it, then you will have to upgrade your hitch system to a Class V system and even doing that you are going to be going beyond the weight rating of a Class V system which is 12,000 pounds gross(GTW) and 17,000 pounds (GTW) in a weight distribution set up , the F250 normally comes with a Class III hitch from the factory, unless it is ordered with a Class IV. Heavier is better in this situation, even if only towing a few miles.

If I remember right the standard cab F250 pickup is rated at 12,000 pounds and the crew cab is rated at 10,400 pounds towing capacity. So with any of the boats you are asking about, you will be pushing the capabilities of that truck if you plan on towing it yourself. You are going to have to go with a weight distribution set up.

That is a lot of boat to tow.

Last edited:

ahicks

Captain
Geez, you're all over the ball park.

Towing companies can and do have some specialized equipment that can handle a boat this size without a blink. Equipment like that not very practical for driving back and forth to work or getting groceries, so you will likely be using something much smaller to do it yourself. So heck ya, MAJOR difference in tow vehicles that cold be used on a job like this. They will not need equalizing. You might.

The other thing is, if you're going to get this done commercially, there's no need to be real concerned about traffic or conditions. You're paying somebody else to worry about that.

Suggest you get a couple quotes to provide some guidance specific to your boat, where it's at, and where it's going. Info gained there may provide you with all the answers you need.

tpenfield

Staff member
Those boats that you listed . . .

. . . are not that big. Most boat haulers would be able to pick any of those boats up and haul it around, no problem

If you were going to DIY, then a Venture VATB-12625 bunk trailer would be fine, and an F-250 should do the job. Even the new F150's have a maximum towing capacity that would do the trick (13K lbs :eek: )

My boat hauler is $10/foot local and about $10/foot + about $2.50/mile long distance.

Thalasso

Commander
Those boats that you listed . . .

. . . are not that big. Most boat haulers would be able to pick any of those boats up and haul it around, no problem

If you were going to DIY, then a Venture VATB-12625 bunk trailer would be fine, and an F-250 should do the job. Even the new F150's have a maximum towing capacity that would do the trick (13K lbs :eek: )

My boat hauler is $10/foot local and about $10/foot + about $2.50/mile long distance.

:thumb:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I mentioned the towing weight capacities because a 2004 model truck is being talked about and I am not saying it can't be done. But it is going to take some care in doing it and the truck needs to be at 100% to do it correctly. Towing large loads is not difficult if you pay attention to what you are doing and make sure the equipment is up to snuff to do it. The Venture traileres are good trailers and well made for this type of work.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Your tow rate quotes seem awfully high to me. My cruiser (LOA 30', 9.5 beam) gets towed twice a year for about 8 miles each way. In pay $190. each way, and that includes blocking the boat when it comes home in the fall. I supply the blocking materials.

My .02

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree I need to find a good towing person. The last guy I talked tried to convince me any size is fine since he tows a 14 ft beam boat! So he obviously doesn't know my area well enough, because that is just not doable on the streets I need to travel.

Summer storage is $5k+ here, winter is $2k, so I think high transport prices are just the going rates around here.

I'll discuss it more with local boat yards.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I feel for you, then. Those summer/winter rates are very high, and I live on Long Island! Best of luck in your quest. I hated having to tow my 24' Chris Craft a couple times a year. By the time I bought my 27' express, then my current Carver, I said to myself "no way."