Hot water heater troubles

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm only about a year into owning my home, so I am new to troubleshooting my appliances and such. A couple weeks ago my hot water stopped heating water. I hit the reset button and all was good until this morning. It stopped heating water again. I hit the reset button again and I'll have to wait to see if it starts heating water, but since this has happened twice now, I'm wondering if there's something else that I need to do to fix the problem? Any suggestions?

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hot water heater troubles

Hot water heater? Why do we need to heat hot water? Shouldn't it be a cold water heater?<br /><br />Just kidding! I wanted to subscride to the thread so that I may help once we get more info.

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reset button? Was the pilot light out?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I couldn't find where there pilot light was located this morning. I had to look at it quickly, as I was on my way out the door for work. Not sure if it was out or not.

sangerwaker

Commander

When the thermocouple goes bad, the pilot light will not stay lit. It's a cheap and easy fix. I like to keep a spare one around just in case mine goes bad. Just make sure you get one that is long enough.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's the part that measures the water temp? I assume I can just tell the parts store what model of water heater I have and they can find the correct one for me??<br /><br />mrloring, LOL... "hot water heater" yes, that's a bit redundant, isn't it. :)

sangerwaker

Commander

No, the thrermocouple is the safety for the pilot light. They usually come in 12, 18, 24, and 36 inch lengths. It goes from the gas valve to the pilot light assembly. One end of the thermocouple is touching the flame from the pilot light. When it goes bad, the pilot won't stay lit. Most are pretty universal.<br /><br />They look like this:<br />
THERMOCOUPLE.JPG

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the pic. I will check into that, probably replace it, and see what happens. I'll report back. Thanks for the help.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm curious about a "reset button" on a gas h20 heater. I've never seen one on a gas heater. Only electric. Are you sure it's a gas heater?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it has a gas line running to it. So far, I'm not going to replace anything yet. because I managed to get it working again. I unplugged the water heater, turned off a switch that I think lights the pilot light and then let any gas fumes clear out for 5 minutes. Then, I turned the switch back on and hit the reset button. Now, it's working fine again. We'll see for how long. If it does it for a third time, then I'll go ahead and replace the thermocouple. I'm just too lazy to go to the store and get one right now, since I have hot water at the moment. :)

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

reset button = ignitor button ???? :confused: <br /><br />I am confused too deej

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a gas power vent to me. Check to make sure venting isnt clogged or restricted and that the pipe outside has a screen over it so no critters can get in there. also the vent fan should start when the water heater fires up. How old is the water heater?

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

When all else fails, look at the instructions...<br />It's not an ignitor button. The instructions call it a gas control valve. I turned the gas control valve off, then back on after 5 minutes. Then I hit the reset button. Does that help or are you all still confused?

Blackshadow

Recruit

Basscat, It sounds like you have a powervented waterheater. Does it have a blower/fan which exhaust to the outside through the wall,possibly pvc or stainless steel piping? Or does it go into a chimney? I am not sure what you mean by a reset button. Where on the waterheater is it located? top? bottom? where the gasline comes in?<br />Some WH have a resetable spill or blocked vent switch which is what I think you are talking about. They usually trip from a backup of heat when they are not venting properly. Could be a blockage in the pipe, weak blower fan, or even a bad reset button(not likely). you should really have it checked by a professional. Gas and carbonmonoxide is nothing to fool with. I am a big fan of trying to fix things myself and dont fault you for trying.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep. I am looking at the instructions and it is power vented. I also looked outside to see if the vent is blocked, but looks clear as far as I can tell. The reset button is near the bottom of the unit, directly above the temp. dial. I understand what you're saying about getting it checked out professionally. I know carbonmonoxide is odorless, but the unit seems to be working fine right now and I don't smell any gas.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water heater is about 6-7 yrs old, I believe. The fan does start up when the water heater fires up. However, the two times when it wasn't heating the water, I noticed that the fan was running constantly and not shutting off.

Ron G

Commander

basscat water heaters can be extremly dangerous be careful when messing with,here the gas company will come out and look them for us and tell ya whats wrong.