Hot water heater troubles

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hot water heater troubles

Thanks for the warnings guys. Better to be safe than sorry. If something goes screwy again, I'll have a pro coem out and check it out for me. I appreciate all the help, just the same.

KRS

Banned

6-7 years old, it's time for a new one.<br /><br />The thermocoupler actuates a valve, when the thermocoupler is heated (when pilot is lit or when you are attempting to light it by holding a match on it) it allows gas to flow, when the pilot blows out (or the thermocoupler goes bad), no gas flows and the water doesn't heat.<br /><br />But 6-7 years old... time for a new one.

oddjob

Commander

For the record a thermo couple is usually used as a temperature indicator that is linked to a temp-controller or thermostat. Sounds to me from what some are saying that it is used as an indicator for a limit switch in this aplicaTION.

MudIsFun

Seaman

Try going to www.ridgid.com and click on the forums. They have a pretty good plumbing forum although a little slow on the uptake if you are in a real hurry. There are a couple of long time professional plumbers there with a wealth of information.<br /><br />Kevin

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My water heater is propane. It does not heat hot water. It heats cold water to make it hot water.<br /><br />The heating flame is thermostatically operated when needed PROVIDED the pilot flame is burning.<br /><br />If the thermocouple fails, no heat. If the pilot light has been extinguished by wierd weather blowing down the vent, no heat.<br /><br />So: First, locate and confirm that the pilot light is lit. If it is and you don't have heating, replace the thermocouple.<br /><br />Instructions for lighting the pilot are printed on the side of the heater but may be covered by an insulation enhancing blanket. It is easily pushed aside. You may have to remove or open a small "door" to get access to the pilot.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Is it possible that it has a hydro-ignitor instead of a pilot light?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> <br /><br />If the thermocouple fails, no heat. If the pilot light has been extinguished by wierd weather blowing down the vent, no heat.<br /><br />
Or if you let the propane tank run empty, no heat.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or if the carbon builds up at the pilot, it won't stay lit either...primarily in propane applications.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Lets clear some things up. There are several different styles of gas water heaters.<br /><br />A standing pilot type (which the majority of heaters are) has a thermocouple. It produces a millavolt to allow the main gas valve to open letting gas to the main burner. It provides proof that there is a pilot before the gas valve can come on.<br /><br />And then there is the newer powervented model. All of these units do not have a standing pilot light. In other terms, the pilot does not come on until the call for heat comes. There is a sequence that must done before the gas valve can be opened.<br /><br />call for heat - airflow- - ignitor - pilot valve - proof of pilot - and then the main valve/burner. These are all monitored and controlled by the controller. <br /><br />When heat is called for:<br />1. Venter motor comes on. Once the blower comes on there can be up to 3 different safties to show proof of airflow. 1-Sailswitch 2-Diaphram switch 3-centrifigual switch. Even if the blower comes on and none of these style switches prove that there is airflow, you controller is going to lock out. Therefor that is why you are hitting your reset. However that maynot be the problem.<br /><br />2. There are two types of pilot ignitors. Hot surface ignition. This is a unit that works like a cigarette lighter in a car. It heats up and ignites the gas when all conditions satisfy the controller.<br /><br />Then there is the gas pilot ignitor. This style is like a spark plug. WHen the controller senses air flow from the ventor blower, the controller turns on the spark ingnitor and pilot valve. Once pilot is established and the controller is satisfied it allows the gas valve to come on.<br /><br />I work on commercial gas appliances and HVAC systems. My suggestion is DO NOT BYPASS any of them. Only a professional should do this to troubleshoot the system.<br /><br />To me it sounds like you have an airflow switch that is not making every time when it calls for heat. If not that and it is a hot surface ignitor, this style can become weak and not be able to ignite the pilot which the controller then shuts the system down or locks out. This is what it is called when the system shuts down. And then sometimes the spark ignitor gets carboned up and cannot light the gas of the pilot.<br /><br />Hopefully this has cleared up a little about the differnt types of gas water heaters.