Hot Tub on a 32' Bayliner - Issues/Ideas?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Hot Tub on a 32' Bayliner - Issues/Ideas?

another concern with the heating is how long would it take to get 180 gallons of water to @100 degrees farenheit? i would guess it might take @ 24 hours?

minimum of10 hours without any losses... yeah, i'm bored at work!

1500 pounds of water, raising 50 degrees, = 75000 btu's needed
.2931 watts in a btu/hr = 21.9825 kwh's needed.
a 20 amp 120v circuit puts out 2.4 kwh, so 9.1 hours

of course, that is assuming you have zero heat loss and that you can pull exactly 20 amps without popping a breaker. In reality, yeah, 24 hours!

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just pull the plug and allow the boat to fill with water. You already have the seats. If you have the proper foam in place, the boat shouldn't sink. All you would have to worry about is how to heat the water. Perhaps you could route the water from your engines heat exchanger.

........just kidding, of course....

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just pull the plug and allow the boat to fill with water. You already have the seats. If you have the proper foam in place, the boat should sink. All you would have to worry about is how to heat the water. Perhaps you could route the water from your engines heat exchanger.

........just kidding, of course....

JUST KIDDING!!!???

(runs to put plug back in boat............)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

its your boat....you can do anything you want to it.

but the tow behind is a far more realistic idea

highamperage

Cadet

I think I found some solutions.

I've ruled out putting it on the boat. I agree with everyone's concerns. Although, Power is not an issue for me, I havea 4kw inverter and 7kw generator, and could purchase a 100k BTU instant propane hot water heater to heat things initally/quickly.

Non-Redneck Solution 1:
http://tugtub.com/our_products.html Here is a really excellent looknig inflatable floating hot tub simmilar to that yacht tub, designed specifically for marine use. It's spendy though. I think it uses 12 volt power for jets and pumps, and propane for heating. It's 3-5k.

Semi-Redneck Solution 2:
I can go with one of those inflatable land based spas for $400, should float fine. Instead of using the eletric heater, use a propane instant heater. They run 60k-100k BTUs... adn heat about 5gpm at a 60 degree rise. Shouldn't take too long to heat things up at that rate.

Redneck Solution3:
I can go with a $20 kiddie pool, or wal-mart inflatable raft and fill it with hot water.

Hmm...

highamperage

Cadet

Here's one already done. It's a Four Winns 365 with the hot tub option. Clever marketing for the boat show circuit but not practical in reality.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/2041228960.html
Text: "FourWinns 1992 365 Vista, 39'9" LOA. 13'2". Twin 502ci ,7kw westerbeke gen. Large roomy interior, aft. cabin. Factory HOTTUB in V berth. Two cedar lined closets. All electronics. Heated stored. Barrior coated hull. Fiberglass stringer system. Many, many options and upgrades, too many to list. Truly outstanding condition. Must see to appreciate. Motivated seller, !!!!!!REDUCED PRICE!!!!!! eMail for all the details."
Quote from a different owner of this model (from another forum) "It uses shore water to fill since the boat cannot move when being used in this configuration "spa mode" Also the A/C cannot be used because the spa uses about 20 Amps to heat the water plus pump it through the heater."

Here's another one- a home-made 'floating hot tub'.
Apparently some guy built it, then docked it at his condo.
HotTubBoat3.jpg

HotTubBoat1.jpg

This is perfect... I should get a free craigslist boat and hottub and do this to it. Just tow it around. haha.

Ned L

Commander

I'm glad you already ruled the idea out. In case you consider changing your mind you need to look up "free surface effect". 1500 pounds of water on deck has a VERY different effect on stability than 1500 pounds of people standing on deck. Free surface effect of that much water above the waterline pretty much the same as having all those people slowly walk to one side of the boat and stand on the gunwale and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

highamperage

Cadet

Yeah, I understand that. My original thoughts were perhaps if I kept it close enough to center, and left alot of space on each side the effect wouldn't be too severe. However, that'd be a small tub, and still the strutural issues are in play. Not worth the risk.

I need to purchase this large 101 foot diesel tug I saw on boats.com. That should satisfiy my hot tub on boat needs. :D