Honda BF75L cooling water issues

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
I've been away for a while but I started looking at the engine again....
I dropped the midsection/lower unit so I could insert an inspection camera up the exhaust. I was able to identify where the water is supposed to come out...it's only about 3 or 4 inches from the tip of the exhaust.
unfortunately the camera couldn't fit inside that hole so I couldn't observe any blockage.

I also used the camera to attempt to view the water passages in the head. It didn't quite fit there either but I was able to see one important thing - the downward pathway from the head to the exhaust. I could just barely see it. Not enough to see any type of blockage.

once again I used my air compressor to confirm that the blockage is at the exhaust water pathway.

I tried weed whacker line to try and snake it out from the bottom and the top. no luck.
Can I use something like a coat hanger? And does anyone know if there's a 1 way valve in that passage? I'd hate to use a hanger going the wrong direction if there's a valve.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
There's no valve in that path, so you should be fine sticking something like a coathanger into that water passage. Remember though that the parts are aluminum, but any steel is going to scratch it up if you're being very aggressive at all. If you have some old windsheild wipers laying around, the little strips o stainless steel in them would be good for this purpose... they're a bit "springier" than a coat hanger and would flex more to get through the passages. Really curious to find out what's plugging that up.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer

That hole is where the BYPASS water gets into the exhaust from the water pump. It is NOT where water going through the head gets into the exhaust, which I believe is where your problem is. The smaller hole at the TOP of that picture should have a CLEAR path to the exhaust. Somewhere that's blocked.

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
That hole is where the BYPASS water gets into the exhaust from the water pump. It is NOT where water going through the head gets into the exhaust, which I believe is where your problem is. The smaller hole at the TOP of that picture should have a CLEAR path to the exhaust. Somewhere that's blocked.
bypass water goes to the exhaust?? I thought it all flowed to the telltale.
when you say smaller hole at the top, you mean the thermotat output hole right beside the tstat housing??

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
bypass water goes to the exhaust?? I thought it all flowed to the telltale.
when you say smaller hole at the top, you mean the thermotat output hole right beside the tstat housing??
I you look at the diagram back in post #33, you will see the "tiny hole". This is fed from the bypass hose, along with the telltale. So the bypass hose feeds both. It's just a small amount of water though.

Yes, that smaller hole at the top is the output from the thermostat and goes into the head. In the diagram I call this the "littler hole". After that water passes though the head, it goes into the exhaust. The bulk of the cooling water first flows from the pump into the block, then through the thermostat and into the head, then dumps into the exhaust. The bypass is a very small amount of water that just feeds the telltale, and also a little water into the exhaust (so the hot exhaust still gets cooled a little before the thermostat opens).

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
the hole I'm pointing to in the photo of the block/head isn't in the diagram. I think we surmised that it's a casting hole in post 56.when everything is assembled, the hole in question at the very bottom is blocked off. it's in that hole I used the camera to see the downward path to the exhaust

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
the hole I'm pointing to in the photo of the block/head isn't in the diagram. I think we surmised that it's a casting hole in post 56.when everything is assembled, the hole in question at the very bottom is blocked off. it's in that hole I used the camera to see the downward path to the exhaust
Sorry for the confusion... you're correct! For the sake of conversation, from now on let's refer to that as the "casting hole" (whether or not that's why it's there). You could/should block that off... maybe by sticking a rubber cork in there and putting a big fender washer over that stud next to it and tightening a nut down on it. Then you could blow air or water into the exhaust and it should be forced "backwards" into the head and out the "littler hole" next to the thermostat.

I did not see any pics or videos in posts #68 or #69... perhaps they didn't upload properly?

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry for the confusion... you're correct! For the sake of conversation, from now on let's refer to that as the "casting hole" (whether or not that's why it's there). You could/should block that off... maybe by sticking a rubber cork in there and putting a big fender washer over that stud next to it and tightening a nut down on it. Then you could blow air or water into the exhaust and it should be forced "backwards" into the head and out the "littler hole" next to the thermostat.

I did not see any pics or videos in posts #68 or #69... perhaps they didn't upload properly?
click the text in those post...leads to YouTube vids from the inspection camera. or try these

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
had a little time today so I removed the powerhead. exhaust bolts are stripped so I can't get the exhaust off. .....argh!!!
I'm so close to solving this problem.

couple things:
oil pump looks good except the little bearing on the cover (first pic). what's the function of that singular ball bearing??

stripped bolts....any ideas regarding removal??

Attachments

• 16961177413833855252685561432455.jpg
    16961177413833855252685561432455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230930_234519102.jpg
    PXL_20230930_234519102.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230930_235423839.jpg
    PXL_20230930_235423839.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230930_235427082.jpg
    PXL_20230930_235427082.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230930_235431182.jpg
    PXL_20230930_235431182.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230930_235442668.jpg
    PXL_20230930_235442668.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure what bearing you're talking about, but could it be a "bearing" that's pressed into a drilled hole to seal the end of it after it was drilled?

I thought you had that exhaust off already (post #62)?

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are the stripped exhaust bolts actually nuts on studs? If yes, use a nut splitter to remove them, if you can get one in there.

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
I'm not sure what bearing you're talking about, but could it be a "bearing" that's pressed into a drilled hole to seal the end of it after it was drilled?

I thought you had that exhaust off already (post #62)?
never had the exhaust off. Unused internet pics of a removed exhaust to help illustrate.

The oil pump cover has a weird looking single ball bearing . It might be a mute point however as it doesn't person directly to my issue. was just wondering what it was. You can see it better in this pic.

Attachments

• PXL_20230930_234618122.jpg
    PXL_20230930_234618122.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
Are the stripped exhaust bolts actually nuts on studs? If yes, use a nut splitter to remove them, if you can get one in there.
stripped exhaust nuts were acorn style....they don't appear to be the originals. I finally got the appropriate nut extractor and was able to remove them

Cpotts

Seaman Apprentice
Used a good extractor to remove the acorn style nuts bolting the exhaust to the powerhead.
BINGO
The waterway down the exhaust was severely clogged. I had to use a screwdriver to scrape the packed on sediment out. There was lots of whitish hardened crud entirely closing the hole. 1000053450.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_201943524.jpg
    PXL_20231028_201943524.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20231028_201938775.jpg
    PXL_20231028_201938775.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Great job finding the problem! When you get it back together, run some descaler through it to clean out the spaces you couldn't physically reach. Rydlyme works very good, Barnacle Buster seems similar. Just flush it really really good with fresh water after.