Honda 50 hp stull when passing from R to N

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Honda 50 hp 2011 Programed fuel Injection S/N BBEJ-1005971

Start and run fine , good acceleration, ,run great until you shift Reverse to Neutral............ More of the time the engine stop

The engine NEVER stop if you shift from N to F or from N to R ..........NEVER stop while runing in REV or FWD ,, Can run at low or hi speeds for very long time and run good.

Sometimes stop when shift from F to N , maybee 40% or less of the times.

The engine Stop when you shift from R to N, ( more than 85% of the times) .

If you shift quickly or slowly, engine cold or hot is the same , whit the boat in the water or out of the water whit the muff is the same.

Do you have an idea ?

Do you know if theses engine have a kind of stop switch to help shifting like some stern-drive ? may be the TPS sensor ?

I tried to check whit a timing lite if ignition stop during shifting process but look ok

Thank you and excuse me for the bad english

ahicks

Captain
Wowee, that's a challenging issue!

I haven't worked on many of these, but don't believe there is a momentary shift switch/sensor.

Idle speed seems normal? Have you tried raising the idle a little?

When it quits, is it sudden, or does it miss a few times before quitting?

When the shift is successful, same thing. Does it shift without missing a beat, or does it miss a little after the shift?

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Idle speed seems normal, may be just a blit slow.........

When it quits, it miss a little bit before .
When the shift is successful, it sometime miss a little bit....

I tried in neutral whit le small lever, and at a certain position (just above idle) it sometime quits ..............

I haved see many time an outboard thats quits when you shift to REV ou FWD , bur never from R or FWD to N , its like if the throttle make stop at a certain position an djust in one direction.

I dont have the factory manual, but in the Seloc they show a .throttle Switch" but no way to test it or explanation .

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try to have the factory service manual , nearest dealer said that Honda don't sell any service manual (paper on download) to customers. You have to be a Honda dealer to have acces to the on-line service manual.......

ahicks

Captain
Try to have the factory service manual , nearest dealer said that Honda don't sell any service manual (paper on download) to customers. You have to be a Honda dealer to have acces to the on-line service manual.......
That's complete B.S. Wishful thinking on the part of the dealer.

Ebay often has the OEM Honda manuals listed for about half what Honda gets for them. A page or 2 might have a greasy finger print, or it might be brand new still wrapped in plastic.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To date, all the Honada factory manual i saw in line (paper or download) are for older model and not cover this particular EFI programed Ignition

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Daler said that he can print some page for me but i whant the complete manual.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ahicks

Captain
Are you trying to find a place that will sell you a manual?
Covid shouldn't have anything to do with that when dealing with most companies.