Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
I've been thinking about, toying with, plotting on, pondering with, scratching my head about, measuring, on building a truck camper. I grew up with a truck camper for use on family vacations. I really like the idea of being able to pull my boat while hauling a camper. My truck is a short wheel base 2006 F150 Ford. If I was to build this camper I would not want it to extend out beyond the bed of the truck, if I did extend it out it wouldn't be much.

Thing is I am low on funds and I am just pondering on what materials to use, how to lay out the floor plan. I've seen some nice truck campers and actually saved a few pictures and jotted down some info. I was thinking that it would be killer to build the frame out of aluminum but I don't know how to weld aluminum, I don't know how easy it would be to come by 2x2 inch aluminum tubing, and how much it would cost. But if I made the frame out of aluminum the camper would last forever. We do have alot of lumber around, I would half to cut to width if I decided to use lumber instead of aluminum. We have alot of 2x6s is what it boils down to. I could take the wood and paint it or stain it to seal it after cutting it to size, maybe it would help it last longer, I've done that on a boat recently. 2"x2" lumber would be sufficient for the framing I believe, but I have also thought of going with 2x4 but I don't know how much weight it would add. Weight is also going to be a big factor if I decided to build this.

My cousin mentioned using fiberglass for the outer walls, I don't think that would be a great idea plus it would be expensive. I believe aluminum siding would be the best route.

I have parts from a couple of truck campers that I stripped recently, might even have a stove to put in it, I already have a sink, I even have a door. Thing about it is I don't know how the law would react to me putting lp (propane) in a homemade camper.

Another few reasons I would like to build one is because I can't afford new, you can't find a short wheel base truck camper, and if I built it I know what it is built of.

Here are some measurements, and a diagram I drew up. Sorry about the size. Any thoughts?? Ideas?? Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

TruckCamperPlans2.jpg

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Homemade truck camper plans/ideas

I wouldn't even think about aluminum for the main frame, it would be too fragile and would have to be larger than a comparable steel frame.
I'd build the main frame out of 1x1" square mild steel tubing, I'd use either fiberglass sheeting or aluminum outer skin, (check out a local camper supply or truck body builder, the corner moldings and roof rails would have to come from the same source too), the rear door can be salvaged from an old RV, and the insulation can be either fiberglass panel or foam insulation board. I'd skin the interior with light plywood and finish it in what ever you like. Painting the plywood will prolong it's life. Be sure to seal all seams and holes, I'd use a marine grade sealer for that, either VP or 3M 5200. Be sure to remember to add at least four reinforced attachment points to the main frame on each side to secure the unit to the truck with.
I just got done repairing an RV that got hit, the main frame was 1' square tube, it had light glass insulation, and fiberglass interior panels. The outer skin was 1/4" plywood with thin aluminum siding. If building from scratch, I'd opt for an outer skin that needed only one layer, the corrugated looking RV siding is think and offers no strength. I'd probably prefer to use pre coated aluminum panels in a slightly heavier gauge and forgo the outer wood layer.
Also be sure to provide drainage in the event of a future leak, walls, lower floor and forward bunk area all need to drain off any leaked water. This is one of the main problems with larger RV trailers, any water leaking inside is often retained and absorbed by the wood and insulation both adding to the units weight, rotting the wood, and forming mold.

Keep in mind that space is at a premium, using 2x2 tubing for walls will waste space and add weight. Being that your dealing with a 1/2 ton truck, you need to be somewhat concerned with the final weight.

Since your dealing with a short bed truck, usually only 6' or less in length, you may want to consider a fold out rear area to extend sleeping space. (keep in mind that's coming from someone who is 6'4" tall), A tent like rear fold out can be done in many ways and can be either sort of an add on room or a complete fold out extension.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Interesting project idea. I recall this being something people would often do years ago for themselves....to varying degrees of success.
The thing to check first is what your payload capacity of that F150 is. Take your (boiler) plate GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) number located in the door jam and then take your truck to a local scale and have it weighed...ideally while you are still in it. The difference in these weights is your payload and will help understand how heavy a camper you could/should build.
The payload number will probably have a bearing on what materials you build out of and how many features you put in your camper that add weight. Including: fridge, stove, water tank w/ water, sink, number of windows (glass is heavy), propane tank (full), camper jacks, etc. Don't forget to include/estimate the weight of another person as well and allow for about 100-200lbs in food and gear.
I recall a lot of home builts ended up being pretty heavy in comparison to commercial campers which is great so long as its for you only.
As well to my recollection a lot of older campers used 1"x2" wood frame construction. This of course kept them reasonably light but subject to rot if they were not well cared for and properly skinned.
Do you have access to aluminum, steel, wood etc on your budget?
(Good project idea regardless manimal!!)
BP:)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't even think about aluminum for the main frame, it would be too fragile and would have to be larger than a comparable steel frame.

I did consider the fact that if something hit the camper that an aluminum frame would probably bend or fold like and accordion. Steel frame sound good, might be something to look into.

I'd build the main frame out of 1x1" square mild steel tubing, I'd use either fiberglass sheeting or aluminum outer skin, (check out a local camper supply or truck body builder, the corner moldings and roof rails would have to come from the same source too), the rear door can be salvaged from an old RV, and the insulation can be either fiberglass panel or foam insulation board..

Steel frame sound good, might be something to look into. Will be aluminum sheeting for outer skin. I have the corner moldings, and roof rails that I took off the other campers, I may of bent a couple of them though. I have a rear door, I also have the roof vent, lp storage door, breaker box, sink, might have a stove, ice box (not a fridge), and windows. I don't think I'm going to put a window in the front part of the cabover bed.

I'd skin the interior with light plywood and finish it in what ever you like. Painting the plywood will prolong it's life. Be sure to seal all seams and holes, I'd use a marine grade sealer for that, either VP or 3M 5200. Be sure to remember to add at least four reinforced attachment points to the main frame on each side to secure the unit to the truck with.
I just got done repairing an RV that got hit, the main frame was 1' square tube, it had light glass insulation, and fiberglass interior panels. The outer skin was 1/4" plywood with thin aluminum siding. If building from scratch, I'd opt for an outer skin that needed only one layer, the corrugated looking RV siding is think and offers no strength. I'd probably prefer to use pre coated aluminum panels in a slightly heavier gauge and forgo the outer wood layer.
Also be sure to provide drainage in the event of a future leak, walls, lower floor and forward bunk area all need to drain off any leaked water. This is one of the main problems with larger RV trailers, any water leaking inside is often retained and absorbed by the wood and insulation both adding to the units weight, rotting the wood, and forming mold.

Keep in mind that space is at a premium, using 2x2 tubing for walls will waste space and add weight. Being that your dealing with a 1/2 ton truck, you need to be somewhat concerned with the final weight.

Since your dealing with a short bed truck, usually only 6' or less in length, you may want to consider a fold out rear area to extend sleeping space. (keep in mind that's coming from someone who is 6'4" tall), A tent like rear fold out can be done in many ways and can be either sort of an add on room or a complete fold out extension.

I would definitly pass on skinning the outside with plywood. The other campers I tore down were as you said covered in aluminum siding, underneath that was the insulation, then the wall.

I stand 6'2" myself, so the height of the sealing is my main concer, because you have light fixtures to be hung, which would be a head ache waiting to happen if you didn't build you sealing tall enough. I know what you are saying on the fold out room but I really don't see how I can do it, I have seen truck campers with slide out side rooms. I could find an old pop up and use the slide rails off of it to build a slide out room on. I know where one pop up is at if it's still there. I agree the weight would half to be watched.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Interesting project idea. I recall this being something people would often do years ago for themselves....to varying degrees of success.

My now 70 year old uncle built a truck camper, and used it for a while, I never got to see it though I only heard about it. That's how these truck camper builders started, right out of a garage. Then they finally went big.

The thing to check first is what your payload capacity of that F150 is. Take your (boiler) plate GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) number located in the door jam and then take your truck to a local scale and have it weighed...ideally while you are still in it. The difference in these weights is your payload and will help understand how heavy a camper you could/should build.
The payload number will probably have a bearing on what materials you build out of and how many features you put in your camper that add weight. Including: fridge, stove, water tank w/ water, sink, number of windows (glass is heavy), propane tank (full), camper jacks, etc. Don't forget to include/estimate the weight of another person as well and allow for about 100-200lbs in food and gear.

I've looked up the payload of the truck in the owner's manual in the past, can't remember what it is though. I haul scrap metal, pull trailers, my father has pulled his 2150 john deere behind my truck. Worst thing is there is a difference between trailer load and bed load weight.

I recall a lot of home builts ended up being pretty heavy in comparison to commercial campers which is great so long as its for you only.
As well to my recollection a lot of older campers used 1"x2" wood frame construction. This of course kept them reasonably light but subject to rot if they were not well cared for and properly skinned.
Do you have access to aluminum, steel, wood etc on your budget?

Reason those homemades came out heavy is because alot of the people that built them probably didn't put much thought into the material. I believe the campers I tore down were 1"x2" wood, maybe 2"x2" wood framing. I would half to travel to a scrap yard out of town to buy the metal, if they have the metal. Being that scrap iron is way down in price, it might be a good time to buy. I might half to sell some of my scrap to get the money up :redface:.

(Good project idea regardless manimal!!)BP:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are a lot of short beds with 8 foot campers on them. that's just the distance of the tail gate. the problem is the extention of the trailer hitch.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

there are a lot of short beds with 8 foot campers on them. that's just the distance of the tail gate. the problem is the extention of the trailer hitch.

As you said the problem is the trailer hitch. I wouldn't know how to work that. It would be nice to have that extra 2 foot of camper space though, it's amazing how 2 foot makes a difference. I know where there are a couple of full size truck campers, but both look like they are in rough shape.

I was thinking, why couldn't I make the frame out of angle iron? Or would that be just as bad as using aluminum. I was thinking of the availability of the tubing compared to the availability of the angle iron. Using angle iron might not be stable enough for the cabover sleeping quarters.

My father doesn't think it would be wise to use metal for the framing and welding it together. He believe is would be to rigid and would eventaully break. Although this is just his opinion, I might still consider metal for the framing.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I priced some 16 gage, 20ft length, 1" by 1" steel square tubing earlier, $13.25 a piece. Not bad, but I don't know if that is to thin for the application or what. If I decided to go that route it still might add up money wise. I figured it up for 6 sticks of 20ft length would be $79.50, That would be enough for the framing a bracing I think.

TilliamWe

Banned

There is a hitch extender or two out there on the market. I think Titan is one brand name. My father has an 11.5' slide in on an 8' bed 1 ton that he pulls a Chaparral 265SSi cuddy behind.
As far as aluminum frame, that's what the manufacturers of new ones use. It just saves so much weight.

Instead of building a camper, have you considered a van? I have a nice conversion van that would do a great job for ya! :)

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

There is a hitch extender or two out there on the market. I think Titan is one brand name. My father has an 11.5' slide in on an 8' bed 1 ton that he pulls a Chaparral 265SSi cuddy behind.
As far as aluminum frame, that's what the manufacturers of new ones use. It just saves so much weight.

Instead of building a camper, have you considered a van? I have a nice conversion van that would do a great job for ya! :)

Hitch extender would be alright, I would half to look on the availability of them for the F150.

I missed out on a free Toyota motorhome a little while back, which made me sick, it needed motor work, I would of gladly taken on the job. Then I heard that my cousin's older model van (that he bought for $1000) has a sleeping area and TV, which that would be neat, but would be a gas hog. He doesn't have it for sale though. Same with motor home, it would be a gas hog. I would be interested in the van or a van but the words low funds and buying another vehicle don't mix.

The way I see it, I don't half to buy everything meaning every piece of material at one time, I can buy some materials here some supplies there. Weld up or bolt together as I purchase the tubing piece by piece. If I use wood I shouldn't half to buy a darn thing, just cut the 2x6s down to the width I need and go from there. But if I tackle this and finish this project, I want it to outlast me and I'm 29.

Don't get me wrong my truck gets around 25 miles per gallon (at it's best) and I know having the camper on it and towing a boat will have some affect on the fuel consumption. Dang I forgot to look at the weight capacity plate or owner's manual to verify how much the truck will handle.

The truck camper takes me back to my childhood in a sense, even though I'm not that old and I can't remember that much of my childhood. I use to use the family truck camper as a club house/hideout as a kid.

reelfishin

Captain

I had a '66 1 ton Chevy p/u with an 8' bed and an old school style slide in camper. It was given to me and I left it as it was full time. It was one of those steel and wood based slide ins which weighed too much to fool with. I used it for car swap meets for a few years and finally sold it after I got tired of the 8 mpg it got. It had a 292 I6 with a three speed stick on the column. It had no AC and a top speed of about 51 mph due to the super low rear axle ratio.
It ran great and had low miles but it had a rough life before I got it, it had few straight panels still on it and the camper top looked huge on it. The camper was abou 18' wider than the bed, it overhung the cab and windshield about a foot and extended back beyond the tailgate about 6". It was tall enough for me to walk in, it had a fold down bunks on both sides, a sink, ice box and head on the left side and the heater and hot water heater were on the right side. The forward over cab area was storage. I had pretty much gutted it out and left only one usable bunk, the rest was used for cargo. I would leave only enough room to sleep in it at night. That slide in was made with 1' steel tubing, and was clad with 1/4" ply on both sides with glass insulation in the middle, the outside was a thin aluminum RV siding on top of the plywood and the inside had vinyl wallpaper on the plywood. (The interior was lime green with light orange on the walls with gold foil trim everywhere, the cabinets were natural wood with gold plated hardware and it had left and right jalousie windows and a slider up front. The back door was split top and bottom with a storm door built in). The roof was made with the same siding, apparently it had leaked at some point and someone before me had coated the roof with about an inch of fiber reinforced tar. The outside was white with a fake wood tone strip on a quilted aluminum, peach colored center panel. It was definitely 60's style, I suppose that camper had been on that truck since both were new.
I would set up a display tent which covered the whole truck and about 15' to the drivers side, this gave me extra wind and rain protection and let me keep an eye on my display overnight. I moved up to a van and enclosed trailer after a few years with a high cube van as my tow vehicle.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Heck you aint got a picture of that setup do you Reelfishin? I can somewhat picture it though, you explained it pretty good.

Shizzy

Ensign

with the economy sliding like it is I would imagine some used campers are going pretty cheap. I would add up everything before you start. projects like this can sure nickle and dime a guy. all said and done you may come in cheaper finding a beat up used one.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

with the economy sliding like it is I would imagine some used campers are going pretty cheap. I would add up everything before you start. projects like this can sure nickle and dime a guy. all said and done you may come in cheaper finding a beat up used one.

I've seen a few older truck compers around but not for sale. I've looked on craigslist, seen one for sale today as a matter of fact, $1800 for it if I'm not mistaken, and that's an older one also. I'm affraid to mess with an older truck camper especially after seeing the rot and all on the ones that I stripped the metal off of. The newer truck campers that I've seen on ebay are going for $9000 and some above and beyond that price. I seen an older truck camper on ebay, the bid was at $200 but the reserve was not met, it was at a camper dealer so I believe they are looking to get some big buck out of it. If I was to build this camper I would like to make the inside similar to the one I seen on ebay.

As for the things I would half to buy if I went with metal tubing, I would half to buy that, insulation, aluminum siding, bathroom sink, shower fixtures, water heater, and maybe some more stainless steel screws. I could get with my uncle on the upholstry work and carpet.

As mentioned earlier I already have some of the items needed, which would help out on the cost. I also have a fresh water holding tank, may have access to the black water holding tank as well. I could salvage the cabinets and light fixtures out of the 2 campers I've stripped and use those. I also can get the table, post, and base from 1 of the stripped campers before they go to the burn pile. I could use the paneling out of the old mobile home out back for the inside of the camper.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out the forums at www.glen-l.com. Glen-L is known for its boats designs, but they also do campers.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i,d use a small steel freame stud it in with 2x2 then sheet in in alum.I just bought 3 sheets of 040 guage thats about two times as thick as a prefab camper i have a 35 ft ive worked on plenty.For 70 bucks a sheet.Your local race shop should have it in any color you want.Theres a truck camper made of wood running around here on a 1/2 ton chevy and you can tell its way way to heavy and extremly top heavy.Guy did a great job on it tho i will give him that.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Check out the forums at www.glen-l.com. Glen-L is known for its boats designs, but they also do campers.

Great link Fdm, thanks for sharing.

i,d use a small steel freame stud it in with 2x2 then sheet in in alum.I just bought 3 sheets of 040 guage thats about two times as thick as a prefab camper i have a 35 ft ive worked on plenty.For 70 bucks a sheet.Your local race shop should have it in any color you want.Theres a truck camper made of wood running around here on a 1/2 ton chevy and you can tell its way way to heavy and extremly top heavy.Guy did a great job on it tho i will give him that.

So I should use 2x2 tubing instead of 1x1? Got to thinking 1x1 would be to small. Would 16 gauge tubing be to thin or what? I would be using an ac/dc welder with dc rods, can't remember the number on the rod.

I imagine that wooden camper is nice, he would half to take the curves slowly with that wood camper. Not like I would be going fast around curves myself if I was loaded with a metal camper.

You would think by looking at the f150 that the bed was way deeper then any other truck bed, but it's only 2 1/2" to 3" deeper then my father 1974 full size chevy bed. Reason I 2 1/2" to 3" because I have a bed liner installed. I don't think the camper would hurt the bed liner.

rightcoastrob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think if i was to build it id go with the 2x2 its stronger plus you can buy 2x2,s precut or if you have a table saw you can rip them yourself.My self i think id make the main frame out of steel then stud it in with wood.You could either attach the studs with L brackets or drill through the top and bottom of the steel frame.Then run like a 3 inch countersunk screw into the studs.And a dc welder will work fine i,ve built many roll chages for race cars with a stick dc welder that always held up for yrs of abuse.So your truck camper will be fine welded up with dc.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Thier support is very good too.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like I got a good advice here on Iboats as well ;).

I think if i was to build it id go with the 2x2 its stronger plus you can buy 2x2,s precut or if you have a table saw you can rip them yourself.My self i think id make the main frame out of steel then stud it in with wood.You could either attach the studs with L brackets or drill through the top and bottom of the steel frame.Then run like a 3 inch countersunk screw into the studs.And a dc welder will work fine i,ve built many roll chages for race cars with a stick dc welder that always held up for yrs of abuse.So your truck camper will be fine welded up with dc.

Well I'll price the 2x2 then and see what the difference is in price, should be interesting. I wanted to get the weight of just one stick of 2x2 so I could calculate the overall weight of the frame.

Thanks