homemade keel guard

TenE307

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was loking at the keel guards they have on the market and noticed that you dont get a heck of a lot for the price.<br />i noticed is what they are selling looks just like the ribbed mat i used to let my old car leak oil onto.<br />oh yeah and they give a little glue too.<br />my question is can i go to any home store and by rubber matting and cut it to size and glue it on.<br />or is there something special enough to spend another hundred bucks for a brand name keel guard.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: homemade keel guard

my question is can i go to any home store and by rubber matting and cut it to size and glue it on.<br />
I don't see why not.. Only thing is, what to use to glue it on?.. I suppose you could find some super strong double side'd tape (thats what keelguard uses, i think).. 3M probably makes something that would make the rubber stick to the hull.. :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

I gave it Serious Thought.........<br />Then decided I don't need one......<br /><br />But,<br />My Choice of Glue, would have been a tube of the Urethane used to Glue Windshields into Cars......<br /><br />The stuff makes 5200, look like Bubble Gum.......

flashback

Captain

I thought about glassing a couple of layers of kevlar on the keel. seems like it would work....tough stuff...........

ZmOz

Captain

If you do it let us know how it turns out...I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Bondo

Staff member

I thought about glassing a couple of layers of kevlar on the keel. seems like it would work....tough stuff...........
That's Exactly how they add a "Skid Plate" to a Canoe...........

flashback

Captain

don't think I'll get around to it this year, the bottom is fresh on my boat, but maybe next year..I guess if I were going to do it, I would carefully grind the gel coat off in the area I want to cover with kevelar, (probably about 6 inches on either side of the stem and keel, then epoxy the kevlar in place, coat bottom with several coats of barrier paint and 2 coats of bottom paint. presto instant turtle shell...