Home security

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Besides the obvious that in behind my head every night, let's talk.

We have a nest doorbell but thinking to add more.

We are an alexa based ecosystem.

I will want Bluetooth connectivity, can easily hardwire power.

Monthly cost unfortunately for video storage but with all the new houses going in around us there is increasing theft in our part of the county and got into a friends place last night whi lives quarter mile from us. Do they charge per camera or per account? Anything that i could get a couple TB hard drives to store myself?

I do have motion lights.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
On our plan you can have up to 5 cameras come to your phone that will tell you car, animal, human, records and stores for $9.99 per month. We have the Arlo cameras.

aspeck

Staff member
I have Ring $3 per camera or $10 per house, whichever is cheaper. With the $10 plan you get 10% off of any additional ring purchase directly from Ring.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Glock is what resides behind my head at night, but advance notice would be nice and for the property crimes happening cameras and Floods are good addition.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Glock is what resides behind my head at night, but advance notice would be nice and for the property crimes happening cameras and Floods are good addition.

Permitter coverage as well as coming down the road to the driveway. Heck I even can ask them what they want before they get to the house.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
neighbor has 6 cameras and their car was stolen 5x. took over 3 months of detectives investigating, then the neighbors oldest just sat up and watched, then followed the perps.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Our system includes a number of cameras and specific Gigs of storage then everything above that is an add on to bese cost. Pretty simple really. Now they are offering underground electrical perimetter dog zappers.

What a difference between home security between our 2 societies, Canadian and American folks. You talk about the security system under your pillow. I do not know a single person that owns a hand gun. Many long guns that are locked up like Ft. Knox was.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
About 2:30 last night got the chime to the phone from the camera, looked at the image and thought holy crap jumped out of bed, threw on the pajamas, grabbed the judge out of the nightstand, and told my wife to stay in the bedroom. Based on the cameras I decided I would go out the service door in the garage rather than the main entrance. I got thru the door silently had the hammer back on the judge reached back in the garage and hit the outside light. Took less than a second to pick up the target aim and shoot. One less thieving bandit in the neighborhood, good size raccoon. Made possible by the cameras.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well, we went with Nest since I try to keep our smart home ecosystem as simple as I can and we already had the doorbell and two thermostats.

Them cameras ain't cheap.

I got the two pack for $300 and along with that a replacement for my motion detectors floodlights at the garage with one that has a 'nest' for the Nest camera so it will be a plug and play type thing. Still waiting on the cameras, they will be here next week. side note - our global supply chain is in a mess.

Not sure where i'm going to put the second one. I'm not a fan of being watched so not by the pool, but maybe by the pool in case some reason someone tries to fake an injury. But I have a crap ton of insurance and we do not let anyone we are not very good fiends with.

I also stumbled across a deal on a pair of solar powered flood lights. Not hugely 'flood' bright but definitely decent and better than nothing. They have a 2400 ma battery and take three screws to install. I put the two up at the corner of the fence on the west side of the house, thinking if someone is coming from the sides/back field it may freak them out and move them to someone else's house. I'll probably get a handful more and follow that pattern as well as put in one on the shed in the back corner of the yard so in the same scenario the lights popping on will follow them as they try to find a dark avenue around.

here are the floods

here is the one that holds the nest.

My neighbor who doesn't make a ton of money will get my old motion flood. He's a teacher and she is an agoraphobe that homeschools their daughter. They are completely paranoid family so anything helps, even my additional lights will make them feel better.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
oh, side note you should not keep you garage door opener in your car. If you forget to lock up or they break in they now have access to the home. If you are gone......