Home Furnace issues!!

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer
Well its really time to replace this furnace, but thats not in line for a few months at least, major car repairs ate into the extra cash. Anyways, here's the issues and specs. Unsure of the year, its at least 20 years old, Sears furnace(no-ac) model 867764732. The unit will fire up just fine, pilot stays lit and burners come on. Once the blower starts up it will emit an obnoxious hum and if it decides to actually turn the blower wheel it wheel then whine at clank as though its rubbing on the walls of the enclosure. My first thoughts are that its the blower motor gone south. I can get the blower motor relatively cheap, as a stop gap to get me by until a later date. My question is does this sound right or am I missing something else? Sorry for the less then stellar descriptions of the sounds it's making.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Home Furnace issues!!

Sounds like bearings on the blower. Should be repairable, if you can get to it..............good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

This may sound strange but I agree on the bearings going too...... try some real gimicky lube spray like a dura lube or a slick 50 spray. K mart sells some and spray the bearings and see what happens. You are going to replace the unit anyway so a shot stop gap fix might tide you over.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

My blower motor just went out in the midst of a cold front.....Normally furnace is set around 66-67....Woke up and it was 53 in the house.,and dropping fast It was like -5 outside...Talk about shrinkage.

Took the belt off and could barely turn the motor by hand...60 bucks,and an hour later I had heat.....

Now I hear a slight squeel when the motor turns on....After some investigating its the bearing on the actual blower in the back of the furnace that moves the air....A few drops of oil and the noise reduced.

Long story short, while you are down there checking out the motor, feel free to oil up the actual blower/squirrel cage in the back of the furnace.

puddle jumper

Captain

Try cleaning the fan blades.Thay may be out of balance due to dust.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. Replaced the motor this morning, way to much play on the output shaft and the blower wheel was filthy. Since then all seems fine. On the bright side at least now I know my furnace is good and cleaned out.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Keep in mind, the belt should have play in it.....I was told at least an inch of deflection when pressed on....Its definetly not tight like a car belt...

Just didnt want you to ruin a new motor.