Hmmmm....oil change questions/thoughts

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hmmmm....oil change questions/thoughts

I had a friend that had a old Chevy with a 307 that used so much oil he cut a hole in the hood to dump oil through. He would just drive around until the oil light would flicker on. Then he would get out, and dump a gallon of used oil in the top of the engine from a milk jug. Then he's jump back in the car and continue driving without ever removing the jug. Next time the light would come on he'd just swap the empty jug for a full one. lol Drove it all summer that way. It had good license plate tabs on it and he did not want to junk it until they were due.

puddle jumper

Captain

As for oil changes im old school every 3000 miles/5000 kms.
But how many of you don't change your filter when you do an oil change. To me it goes hand in hand. Could not imagine not doing that.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My toyota full synthetic and oil and filter @ 5000 my wife's chevy regular oil and filter every 3000 (even though it has the oil life system). I have let the oil life minder run and it registers between 3000-4200 miles on her car.

If you are concerned about shavings and intend to keep the car and do good maintenance...... look into an oil analysis and it will tell you what the shavings are. I would stay at the 3000 mile mark if it was mine.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This from a man that watched dancing elves. :)

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

if u plan on keeping it, and want it to go 250,000 miles, use petroleum based oil, change the reservoir every thousand miles, the filter every 7-8,000 miles, go easy on the throttle application taking off, avoid passing gear runs unless emergency, and generally speaking operate in the 3-3500 rpm if no OD and about 1900 to 2500 if overdrive, or a bit more for slow accerlation off the line. change trans every 25,000. do radiator every 50,000. if rear end, then that every 40-50,000. if u are real careful prob wont have to do a 175K valve job, but its iffy if the timing chain will go that distance. but surely 175K if oil super clean. timing belts change on dealer sched. do all other lube chores on sched. change eng acc belts every 25K if polyV and 7500 if V. good luck!! :)

regards

lakester :cool:

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My dad drove a ford van with the 300 ci in line six delivering mail on a star route, (straight highway miles) and when he retired that van had just turned 400,000 miles. All they ever did was change the oil, filter, and air filter every 5,000 miles. None of the covers had ever been off the engine.