hmmm new sailboat maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
so in a weird twist of events, I sold my old O'Day 19 as I was planning to move. wound up not moving so wanted another boat. first was looking at larger boats, gonna put it in a slip and take friends out etc.

than yesterday was looking at CL and found a zuma. small little bugger, I had looked at them new before and thought it would be prefect. well this one looked clean, was inexpensive and is so easy to set up and I can go out by myself when ever I get the notion.

Picking it up tonight on the way home from work.

will give me a chance to really sail and practice different points of sail, and get a better feel for what makes what happen.

big boats are fun but I have never had a small "wet" boat to sail, so gonna try this for a bit.

maybe next year I will look for the slip boat.....................maybe

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a fun little wet sailor. Have fun boating.

southkogs

Staff member
Cool little racer! Hope it's a good buy for ya'.

I actually enjoy the little wet sailers. On a hot day it's a fun time running 'em hard and even dumping 'em a little bit.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
yep, sweet deal. picked up the boat with a really nice galv steel trailer. all the rigging is in perfect condition and very nice sails. for 800. probably could have neg a bit lower but the boat was worth what he was asking so I snatched it up.

Haven't gotten to try it out yet. This weekend was crazy for weather and than hectic for things to do so hopefully this coming weekend I can get it out.

Have to say it looks fast just sitting in my garage. Can't wait t osee what it does in the water

southkogs

Staff member
I remember my first sail in a small sloop with my dad ... I think I spent more time screaming than sailing :)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
so I got it out weekend before last. Wow even in very light winds she goes quite well. tooled her around the lake for an hour or two than brought her back. I did find that the tiller needed replacing as it crack and eventually broke where it was attached to the rudder.

not a big deal, ordered the new one and it is already in place and ready to go again.

southkogs

Staff member
I don't see any pictures ... :tsk:

Bummer on the tiller, but better to have it happen in the light winds I suppose. Glad it sailed well. I was just talking with my daughter about a little wet sailer this weekend ... I've definitely got the bug. Just probably not the money or time right now :D

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I don't see any pictures ... :tsk:

Bummer on the tiller, but better to have it happen in the light winds I suppose. Glad it sailed well. I was just talking with my daughter about a little wet sailer this weekend ... I've definitely got the bug. Just probably not the money or time right now :D

Interesting you ask for that. I had pics of it and can't seem to find them. May have to take a couple more and post them up.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
zuma2_zpstn1obeyh.png

here she is

southkogs

Staff member
David and Goliath there ;)

The Zuma looks great! Pretty colors too. I've always enjoyed sailing the smaller boats - particularly the cat rigs.

In an odd turn of events, it seems my uncle still has one of our old sailboats. It's been in a barn for several years, but covered and cared for ... and they wanna' get rid of it. So, sometime after the first of the year I'll be towing our little Capri 14 down here to sail.

Looks like this (though this one is not our boat):
1987-catalina-capri-142-iipmpzj.jpg

No mercy from this dude either - you either learn to sail it, or look like a buffoon while it wobbles all over the place.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
That sounds like a great deal. I like the smaller Capri's they have a nice look to them. Yes I would imagine it would be a "lively" little ride as well.

daniel Wyllie23

Recruit
Hi
Good luck with that:)
How much do you want to spend? What kind of boat do you want to buy? I'm just curious beacuse I'm sailor myself and own small boat but thinking to change as well and take a 3 weeks of holiday and just travel.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome daniel. Can you start your own thread and you'll get some great help

Status
Not open for further replies.