Hit starting wire bundle with screw.

saw1996

Cadet
I was reinstalling my deck panels on my boat and I hit the wire bundle coming from the ignition switch with a screw. The screw hit 3 wires. The control box beeped and the outboard tried to start with ignition turned off. I immediately disconnected the battery and repaired the wires. Connected the battery and everything appears fine except the motor will not start. It turns over fine. I checked to see that the kill switch is in place and it is. Any thoughts? I should add this is a tohatsu 25 hp 4 stroke i just got today. I am so embarrassed I normally check for things like this.

saw1996

Cadet
Update- the screw hit the red wire, green wire, light green wire. The warning buzzer doesn't beep when you the ignition to on.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Might have cooked something. First check for not-obvious fuses. Are there any under the hood? Second check for spark while cranking. Next check the continuity of the wires that you hit, make sure one or more weren't actually severed. Is it a fuel injected motor, or carbureted?

saw1996

Cadet
It ended up frying the computer. Lesson of the day always double check before you screw anything down.

saw1996

Cadet
Might have cooked something. First check for not-obvious fuses. Are there any under the hood? Second check for spark while cranking. Next check the continuity of the wires that you hit, make sure one or more weren't actually severed. Is it a fuel injected motor, or carbureted?
I cooked something big!!!! The computer.

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
It ended up frying the computer. Lesson of the day always double check before you screw anything down.
Thanks for letting us know the solution. Hopefully you're up and running now! Be sure to seal up those wires, if any salt gets in they're going to corrode end to end.