Hip-Hop Hassle

CATransplant

Admiral
I went to my favorite fishing lake today for another nice day of fishing. The lake is about 1200 acres...pretty small. There were about 20 trailers in the parking lot, almost all for fishing boats, since it was a weekday.

Except for one. From 9 AM until 1 PM, when I left, a wakeboarding boat was on the lake. They weren't wakeboarding, but cruising from one end of the lake to the other, over and over.

Booming out of the speakers on the tower was an endless stream of obscene hip-hop music. It was loud enough that you could hear it, even from the opposite end of the lake. When the boat got close, it was deafening.

What's the deal with this? I don't suppose there's any recourse for it, since I don't know of any noise restrictions. It's sure as heck annoying, and falls into the stupid human tricks category as far as I'm concerned.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hip-Hop Hassle

I went to my favorite fishing lake today for another nice day of fishing. The lake is about 1200 acres...pretty small. There were about 20 trailers in the parking lot, almost all for fishing boats, since it was a weekday.

Except for one. From 9 AM until 1 PM, when I left, a wakeboarding boat was on the lake. They weren't wakeboarding, but cruising from one end of the lake to the other, over and over.

Booming out of the speakers on the tower was an endless stream of obscene hip-hop music. It was loud enough that you could hear it, even from the opposite end of the lake. When the boat got close, it was deafening.

What's the deal with this? I don't suppose there's any recourse for it, since I don't know of any noise restrictions. It's sure as heck annoying, and falls into the stupid human tricks category as far as I'm concerned.

In TN there are noise restrictions and I expect there are there too.

I don't think the TWRA issues many citations for the thumping subwoofers or the much, much louder speedboats zooming around here but I've thought about calling and reporting the violators.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

I would have thrown them my Drowing pool, bodies hit the floor CD

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cat,
I am having the same trouble only its not on the water...its the new hod rat neighbors. Up until tis past Friday night they would party till all hours of the morning. There subwoofers were so loud it would litrally rattle my wifes nick nacks on the book shelf in the livingroom. I went over and asked a couple times if they could turn it daown and got the "If its to loud, your to old saying"

SOOOO.....I went to Best by and bought an new system for my little Isuzu Trooper. New CD player, amps, speakers, subwoofers... the works. 3000 watts of new works. Installed it on Saturday morning and afternoon.

Then when all the hood rats showed up next door to drink, smoke dope, and play loud rap music I went out popped in some old time country. Hank Sr, Pattsy Kline, George Jones......all the good ones.

I cranked it up ans loud as it would go and left it. About 2 hours later their knocking on the door asking if I could turn it down. I told the lead hood rat that I will keep it down if they keep theres down.

So far we have a truce and piece and quite in the neighborhood

coolguy147

Commander

oh my bad dude i didnt know my music was that loud? i wont go on that lake anymore sorry.:D

lol country music!

erikgreen

Captain

Depending on the lake, there are noise restrictions in MN. I don't know about where you went, but I know some of the water patrol folks on lake Minnetonka, and that's probably one of the more heavily regulated lakes as far as noise and speed go.

Check with whatever county/township the lake is located in, and see if they have regs for noise on that specific lake or others in their area. If the noise is a problem or they're breaking the rules, report 'em to the local constabulary. If no one says anything they can't do anything.

There are a lot of thoughtless boaters out there these days, but there have always been and always will be.. it's not a new thing :)

Erik

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

There are a lot of thoughtless boaters out there these days, but there have always been and always will be.. it's not a new thing :)

The difference is modern technology - it has made thoughtlessness more efficient, so now less thoughtless people can annoy a larger amount of other people.

CATransplant

Admiral

Depending on the lake, there are noise restrictions in MN. I don't know about where you went, but I know some of the water patrol folks on lake Minnetonka, and that's probably one of the more heavily regulated lakes as far as noise and speed go.

Erik

It's Bald Eagle Lake, and there's no lake patrol. The Ramsey County Sheriff is the only patrol, and they're only there occasionally. I've only seen a DNR boat once in dozens of days on the lake. Lots of homes around the lake, and this boat probably came from one of them.

I don't believe that the Sheriff is going to show up for a loud wakerider boat, and I would like them to expend their resources on that. I realize that there's not much chance anything will be done about this. Just complaining.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

"disturbing the peace" Can you make a citizen's arrest?

probably not but it feels better to think about.

WTR4FUN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I-POD with headphones? May help a little in that situation. :)

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

in traffic isn't bad enough. full faced helmet over the pipes of the harley 12 cars away. now on the water.

if you grab an axehandle, i didn't see anything:rolleyes:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Agreed. On the water is no place for loud music; it's a place of nature. Rather hear the sounds of water lapping, sea gulls, fish jumping, bilge gurgling, a boat in the distance, ice melting in the cooler, the occasional call of the three words we love most: Get the net!

wait--bilge gurgling? Got to go!

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's a symphony right there.

If people wanted to hear louder than life music, they'd go dancing...the loud stereo crap is "look at me! i'm cool! please don't notice my small junk!"

the youth of america...we're doomed.

flingus

Seaman

Sorry to hear about the loud noise. I was just commenting to my gf last weekend how nice it was to be able to find a cove at the lake, and just be away from people and not have to hear their music.

When we didn't have a boat, we used to go to the beach and we would always have to listen to some jerks boombox. Now that we have a boat, we can get away from the land and CHILL. I have a great sound system in my boat, and I use it for probably 10 minutes an outing. :) Would much rather hear the hawks flying overhead.. Every now and then we break out the ol acoustic guitars but, loud booming music? Don't really understand the thrill in that on the water.. And keep in mind, I'm in a band. I >LOVE< music.

Hang in there, I'm sure they'll have boat problems soon. Karma is a *****. ;)
"I'll fix your boat if you give me your stereo system". Lol."

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

It's Bald Eagle Lake, and there's no lake patrol. The Ramsey County Sheriff is the only patrol, and they're only there occasionally. I've only seen a DNR boat once in dozens of days on the lake. Lots of homes around the lake, and this boat probably came from one of them.

I don't believe that the Sheriff is going to show up for a loud wakerider boat, and I would like them to expend their resources on that. I realize that there's not much chance anything will be done about this. Just complaining.

Not much you can do but wait.... Remember that Murphy is watching. I've been out on Bald Eagle several times and seen plenty of DNR/RCSO Water Patrols out there.

I have several of those by me. There's one boat called "Too Much Fun". Last I heard the cops gave most of the riders minor consumptions, as some of their women were puking over the side. It may be annoying, but if they're attracting that much attention - just wait, someone else may have a shorter fuse than you or water patrol just might be about.

Ramsey Co. does have a good water patrol fleet, they just have alot of water to cover. The thing is they don't consider noise violations on the water a serious enough call, you'd have to ramp up the charges a bit and throw in the word "alchohol". In addition, I'm sure that Bald is also in Washington county as well. It was there that I saw a girlfriend bend her boyfriend's trailer frame while whipping a U-turn. lol

Every lake has one, especially the bigger lakes. I'm on a particularly small lake and I get several at once. I just watch and wait, and Murphy has yet to disappoint. That is one lake I avoid like the plague on weekends. Worse than Coon.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I really hate these stupid wakeboard boats and their "pod" speakers...... we have one on the dock where I'm at and so far he's been good. However I hear all of these stories about how they behave on lakes and I just have to say that they suck

Nandy

Commander

Agreed. On the water is no place for loud music; it's a place of nature. Rather hear the sounds of water lapping, sea gulls, fish jumping,

I agree, is those damn boater that shows up with their loud ob and ib making all kinda noise while revving their motors and sending wakes from side of the lake to side of the lake bothering us kayakers...

Seriously, if their music bother anyone so much get something that will keep their music out of your ears. That is an option or just move to another lake. If they are breaking the law then report them, get a camera, a meter to measure their dbs and take the video to the police. If they are not breaking any laws they have the same right to enjoy the lake in their own way as anyone. I bet they think fishing is pretty stupid (im a big fisherman)... BTW, fusing about it is good to, wont get you anywhere tho...

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Like I said, he's been good, but it is beyond STUPID to have speakers on a tower faced backwards so that everyone on the water can hear you while you board.

I've heard horror stories, that's why I'm uptight about it. Luckily I live on the ocean so they have plenty of space to play