Higher mileage Ford Expedition for towing my 2004 Stingray 200LX?

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Stingray 200LX has a Volvo 5.0L V8 and is a relative lightweight at about 2750 lbs. It sits on an aluminum tandem axle trailer (with brakes!) and I have no idea what that weighs. I'm planning on pulling the boat up to 5 hrs each way on the interstate. I'd like to be able to comfortably tow at 65mph.......if possible :D .

Anyway, in this economy money really matters. I've been window shopping on craigslist and I see many 1999 and newer Expeditions for sale for very reasonable prices. Most of these SUVs have quite a few miles; 140k and up. "Low mileage" SUVs are near 100k miles.

I know that new vehicles are not the same as older vehicles that were pretty much done at 100,000 miles. Who is pulling with 150,000 miles on their Expeditions and do you feel that your SUV is reliable? If I look at one of these trucks, what should I scrutinize? I know that a tow package and the bigger 5.4L engine will be preferred.

My wife would prefer a SUV over a pickup truck.

BTW, I did a quick search and didn't come up with too much on these SUVs. I thought that I'd find a ton of info. I'm just looking for a little discussion. Thanks.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Higher mileage Ford Expedition for towing my 2004 Stingray 200LX?

Most important thing is how well it was take care of. The modular ford motors will last for quite a while when cared for. If you check out http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php you'll get a lot more inputs specific for the fords. Many guys tow regularly with super duties with the 5.4 and while they may not have the power that the V10 and PSD's have they hold their own. Also an Excursion with the 7.3 might be another option.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

The real issue here is maintenance and condition just as if you were buying a used boat. My old truck was a 98 chevy silverado with the 5.0 motor, she had 1000,000 miles on her when I got but she was in awsome shape and the po had all the paperwork for all the maintenance done to her. She ran great, I kept up on the maint and she faithfully was a daily driver and boat hauler for 5 years before I gave her to my teenage son who has managed to just about kill her now:( He does nothing with her but drive. So long as the suv has been taken care of properly there's no reason one can't be a good hauler, though I will recomend that you get one with a 5.7 or equivilent motor. The 5.0 in my old chevy ran great but when towing I could feel her strugling and man did she burn the gas. I now tow with a ram with a bigger engine and can really tell a diff in power and fuel usage. My 2 cents.

Red

glrichards

Seaman Apprentice

I tow my Avalon pontoon that loaded full of fuel 42 gallons and a 200 hp engine weighs ( boat motor and trailer) 4160 Lbs with a 2003 excursion.
To date haven't had any trouble. It has the v 10 and gets about the same fuel mileage as my expedition. Made 2 trips to grand rapids MN last year with no problems,1993 miles round trip.

haulnazz15

Captain

5.4L is a reliable engine, but looking at high mileage vehicles is going to depend mostly on maintenance history. I never had a problem with my 98 F150 w/ 5.4L, but I don't skimp on maintenance. I sold it with 160K on the clock, it burned probably .5-.75 quarts in between oil changes, but nothing major and well within specs.

AirLiftCompany

Recruit

Engine size and reliability; cannot help. BUT, I had a similar issue of burning a little oil between oil changes and even had a small, drip-disappointing garage floor spot until I used one of the High Mileage Motor Oils which were introduced about 9-10 years ago. I worked for Valvoline for 14 years and know that at least their brand of MaxLife Motor Oil has a combined chemistry of "seal swell and seal conditioning agents" blended into the motor oil recipe of additives. My oil leak stopped and I believe that I also stopped burning as much oil. I can tell you that Valvoline only marketed their products for what they did vs. just having a marketing claim. Just a thought for you with the oil leak. Good Luck!

tpenfield

Staff member

First of all, you don't need that much SUV to pull that boat. A V-6 Explorer would do the trick. So, an Expedition is overkill.

I currently have the V-8 Explorer, which is rated to tow 7K. I tow about 6.5K. It has 110K miles. It may go to 150K, but I figure that some things could break along the way. If you do not use the SUV as a daily driver, then you may be OK, if so, then I would look for something with about 60K miles.

haulnazz15

Captain

If you are referring to my post, airlift, mine did not leak any oil. It would just have that small puff of blue smoke upon a cold start-up where the oil had seeped past the valve stem seals, it wasn't anything you'd have to add oil for in between changes and is perfectly normal for most engines as they get over 100K.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for everyone's replies to my questions. Its all good information.

tpenfield, I've got some more specific questions for you. I've never been a fan of SUVs and the only reason that I'm even considering one is to be able to comfortably pull my boat on the interstate. We live 4 1/2 miles from the St Mary's inlet (100% saltwater) boat ramp and use my wife's 2003 Honda Odyssey. It has a notoriously weak 5-sp automatic that must be left in 3rd gear to pull. It's fine for towing at 35mph to the ramp but anything faster has the tachometer climbing to the moon. In other words, even if I was crazy enough to risk that weak transmission, the engine would turn about 5000rpm at 60mph :eek: ! For the short drive to the boat ramp at 35mph, the Odyssey does a fine job and has no problem pulling the boat out of the water and up the ramp.

I've seen some 5.0L Mercury Mountaineers for sale with about 80,000 miles. I'm assuming that they are similar to your V8 Explorer. What gear do you use to tow your boat? Like I said, I want to be able to pull at 65 mph on the interstate without burning up the engine and transmission. I know the full size SUVs should have no problem with this. How about your Explorer? And yes, I do like the idea that the smaller SUVs may get better gas mileage.

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My V6 2002 Explorer with 182,000 miles gets about 15 MPG at 65MPH highway speeds towing my SeaRay 160OB. I always tow with OD off and occasionally monitor trans temperature with a Scangauge. I also tow a camper (about 3200 Lbs) and it does OK. It doesn't burn any oil yet.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I worked for Ford Motor Company for 24 years--and have driven over 1 million miles in their company vehicles.

Mercury Mountaineers are essentially the same as a Explorer, however they're usually running an All Wheel Drive system--not an Explorer Four Wheel Drive system (that's much more durable.) The V8 Explorer or Mountaineer would do a good job of pulling this boat, however you just won't be blessed with ridiculous room and ability to carry 8 passengers. Mercury's are lower mileage vehicles and a better value in a used vehicle, as Mercury buyers are older, higher income and more conservative than Ford buyers.

I was parked tonight next to an older Eddie Bauer Expedition, and I was thinking what a good value such a vehicle would be as a second vehicle. I had a 1998 2wd Expedition 4.6 engine that got 19.75 mpg on the first tank. The 5.4 engine is what you'd find on an Expedition usually, and this would be my pick of vehicles. I don't remember that my Expedition ever saw a repair shop--other than for brake pads.

A Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 engine would also be a good alternative as long it was not equipped with the 8 cylinder engine that cuts down to 4 cylinders under 65 mph in a cruise. It's a dog.

An Excursion is a completely different animal--basically a 3/4 ton SUV that's also available in diesel. In oil burning form, it can pull 13,000 lbs. Most are now in the hands of the diesel addicts--many of which have wide open Tymar intakes, multiple horsepower PCM programmers (up to 140 hp increase) and 5" exhausts. They're 8000 pound monsters that'll run like an old GTO from 30 mph up--blowing black smoke all the way. But no GTO ever had 800 ft. pounds of torque. On the other hand, a diesel Excursion of any age will set you back big $ if you can even find one.

An other option would be to buy a half ton crew cab gas pickup truck--usually Ford F150 Supercrews. (Chevy & Dodge didn't sell nearly as many crew cabs.) All nice, well maintained pickups pull very high prices on the used market--and an older Expedition might actually be a better buy.

Good luck!

still afloat

Cadet

I drove a company Expedition for 6 years, it had 44K on it when it got it, and 347K when they gave me a new truck. It ran fine, never missed a beat and for the most part didn't show any signs of it's high mileage, the interior was 'well worn' to say the least but it was a company truck and was used and a bit abused, but well maintained. I personally owned a 1997 Crown Victoria which I drove from new to 299,500 miles which ran perfect other than some basic maintenance. The trans failed at 210K, but I towed a bit more than it was rated for most of it's life.
A buddy of mine has an F150 with a 5.4L that's pushing 350K on it's original motor. He'd been through a few sets of coils and plugs, and two transmissions but the engine is fine, and he's pretty hard on his truck. (Both transmissions were most likely done in by water getting into the trans off road).

To me, 'low mileage' means that the thing has few enough miles to still be under warranty. I don't buy into the sales pitch that 15K per year or less is low mileage, a truck with 150K or more on it is 'High mileage' regardless of how old it is, wear and tear is wear and tear, time doesn't wear out motors, running time and driving does.
Keep in mind that other parts of the truck may not fair as well as the engine, things like suspension, brakes, differentials, etc. also have a lot of miles on them when you buy a truck with 150K or more. Those items really haven't changed much over the years.
I don't think I'd buy anything over about 50,000 miles if I weren't mechanically inclined and able to do nearly all of my own repairs. With labor rates being well over $100 per hour, major repairs on a truck with a lot of miles soon gets too costly to justify the repair.

I also get a laugh at what some used car lots ask for some of these worn out old trucks with high miles. I don't care how you slice it, regardless of the fact that modern motors run longer, a truck with 100K or more will no doubt cost you money sooner or later, or worse yet, let you down when you least expect it.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow guys! Some really good information.

Last night I spent some time on the website that Angrywasp posted up in post #2. With that information and what I've read here in this thread, I'm more confident that a high mileage Ford will do just fine. I'm a mechanical person and I do all of my own work on my cars, boats and jet skis. I'm an "engine guy" so engines don't really worry me. Transmissions do though!

The SUV that I buy will be a third vehicle so even though mileage is always important, this thing won't be a daily driver. My wife likes the idea of more room in an Expedition vs a Mountaineer/Explorer. Even though I know that the smaller M/E will adequately pull my Stingray, the Expedition will have a lot more "reserve towability!"

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 5.4L 2004 expedition and pull my 19ft boat with 30gallons of gas, full of gear, and camping gear in the truck and is would pull 75 mph through the mountains if I wanted it to. It only gets 15mpg avg at best without towing but towing doesnt drop it by much in my experience. Unlike the midsize SUVs you could pass cars on the interstate if you had to. I usually do my own maintenance and repair but it is not hard on the expedition. Havent had to work on much yet (currently 100K miles) but what I have done has been pretty easy to get to. Parts are cheap.

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my 2 cents would be to look into a 2001 and newer chevy tahoe or suburban/GMC yukon. I'm not trying to start a ford vs. chevy war, but we've had expeditions and chevys and the suburbans have been much better vehicles. The 5.3 liter in them is reliable (I am pushing 150k on my Sierra with the 6 liter, same engine just a hair bigger but shares 99 percent of parts with the 5.3), easy to fix when something does break (fords are harder to work on I think, things aren't as common sense on them). and unloaded, the 5.3 will yield you 15mpg in the city, and you may even get close to 19 or 20mpg on some highway trips. Hook your boat on and that will go down to around 11 or 12, but thats normal for any vehicle. Also, you will find the interior on the GM vehicles to be more comfortable, quieter, and ride better than the fords.

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

We went and looked at a craigslist 2003 Expedition advertised with only 49,000 miles. What the owner left out was the number two in front of the 49,000 miles :rolleyes: ! Upon first glance I knew that the truck was a total POS with a peeling $99 paint job full of runs. The interior was a total wreck with a wood block holding up one of the seats :facepalm: . This guy actually thinks that someone would believe that this turd truck only had 49,000 miles. Unbelievable!

My sister has a 2002 Explorer with the 4.0 V6 and the towing package. Its a spare vehicle that she'll let me have for very cheap. Very, very cheap. I had my nephew get the axle code off of the sticker inside the driver's side door and the bad news is that the code stands for "conventional axle-non limited slip" :( .

ksukats57, I've noticed on craigslist in my area, the GMs seem to go for considerably more money than the Expeditions. Maybe because they're not lying :D ?!?

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a similar boat 20' bow rider with SBC and tow it with a tandem aluminum trailer with brakes on all 4. I owned a 2000 explorer when I bought the boat and used it for a while. IMO I wouldn't consider towing your boat with an Explorer. The tow rating for the Explorer was 5500lbs (I think, either way it exceeded what my boat weighed) but the problem with the ratings is they are set by the marketing people. Next truck was 97 F150 and it was alot better then Explorer. Now I have a Nissan Titan and it is outstanding, far better then either. An Expedition, Yukun or any true 1/2 (or above) will tow it well and comfortably.

grendelsniper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a 1999 suburban 2500 7.4 4x4 has just over 100,000. miles,gets not that great mileage, but fits and rides great pulls my 06 tahoe q6 with no problems, I bought it used and love it

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ksukats57, I've noticed on craigslist in my area, the GMs seem to go for considerably more money than the Expeditions. Maybe because they're not lying :D ?!?

There's a reson they hold their value better. Build quality and reliability.

whitecrystal1

Seaman

With Ford you have to worry about the possibility of spark plug ejection on the 4.6, 5.4 & 6.8 liter 2 valve engines from 96-03. Then with the 3 valve engines, from 04-07 you have to worry about the plugs breaking and part (ground shield) of it getting stuck in the heads. I am not sure why it took Ford so long to realize they had no need in re-inventing the wheel... at a cost that has cost them many loyal customers. I've had a couple F150's and a couple Rangers but I will not buy another.

If you are referring to my post, airlift, mine did not leak any oil. It would just have that small puff of blue smoke upon a cold start-up where the oil had seeped past the valve stem seals, it wasn't anything you'd have to add oil for in between changes and is perfectly normal for most engines as they get over 100K.

This is real common in the 4.6 liter engine. I had a 2002 (purchased new) with it and it did the same. They do last a long time though... but mine started this early. I had to replace my spark plugs because of a miss-fire at 47K miles and I found it to be #3 cylinder that had oil deposits on it from this issue.

Later, I purchased a new 2005 with the 5.4 and it burned a quart of oil every 2500 miles or 2 quarts between oil changes when I was doing it every 5K :eek: No external leaks and no smoke on start up with this engine. This again was premature imo.. less than 60K miles I gave up on Ford totally when the drum in the transmission went out on this truck at 68K miles... When this happened to me I found through googling my issue that this is a weak part in the transmisson on these trucks and that it can fail at any given mileage some had failed in a few as 30K miles... I need a better truck than that.

Sorry for hating on Ford. Just giving my experience with them. The sad thing is I really liked both of them hince the reason I purchased a couple of them. I am now in my firt Chevy and hope it will out last what Ford could not