shifting problems

mrimike

Seaman
I am having a bit of shifting problems. I have what i was told to be a good used lower unit that i just bolted up to a 200hp johnson. The problem is if i shift from forward to reverse and viseversa it will bind up going into gear. It shifts into neutral no problem. If someone goes down to the prop and gives it a very slight wiggle it goes right into gear. Does this sound normal. I was wondering if maybe the engine needed to be running to get it to shift into gear correctly. The control cables are brand new and the lower unit oil was dark but still ok, no metal shavings to suggest bad gears etc.
I have not started the engine with the new (to me) lower unit as it is not totally hooked up to do so yet..
thanks for any advice.. this board is great

lindy46

Captain
Re: shifting problems

Motor really needs to be running for a proper test. When not running, clutch dog may not properly mesh with the gears unless they're lined up just right. A little turn on the flywheel will usually get them to mesh.

mrimike

Seaman
Re: shifting problems

well thanks for the advice.. i started the engine today and what do you know it shifts perfect.