High speed live well pick up.

Trophy2002!

Recruit
Hello. I’m hoping for some advice as to why my livewell is not working on my 1996 Trophy 2002. It has the thu hull high speed pick up. I’m told this type is not self priming so the question is do I turn it on when under way with the pump on to get it started and I assume it should keep pumping once it gets started even when stopped?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you using a seachest?

High speed pickups will flow any time the boat is moving and usually flow much more than your livewells will need

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It has the thu hull high speed pick up. I’m told this type is not self priming so the question is do I turn it on when under way with the pump on to get it started and I assume it should keep pumping once it gets started even when stopped?
First off, what pump do you have?

Where is the pump mounted?

What are you calling a “high speed pickup?

Once primed, a pump will typically stay primed until you remove the boat unless you have a leak in the supply line.

Trophy2002!

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. The pump is a 500gph Johnson. The livewell isn’t large not sure of the gallons. The pump is mounted maybe a foot above the thru hull intake and shut off valve. Looks I need to try it while underway. You’d think I would have thought of that. This type of livewell is new to me.