High pitch noise at low rpm

dagard

Recruit
Hello,

decided to finally take this 2007 Honda BF 10D out on the water as it has barely seen any use in several years. After cleaning the carburetor, changing the impeller as well as oils and filters, the motor runs fine again, but makes a high pitch noise that occurs only on forward gear at low rpm (here's a video:
). The noise is more pronounced when there's another person on board. When I asked around, nobody had any recollection whether it made a noise like this any previous year. The motor has probably only a few dozen hours on it.

I'm a complete novice, so any tips are much appreciated.

Last edited:

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure about the "high pitch" noise, but it seems nearer the end of the video when you (appeared to) put it in neutral and rev it a bit there was a racket of a noise that shouldn't be there. I suspect the shift linkage needs adjustment and that the clutch dogs were still slightly touching when in neutral. That mis-adjustment might also be causing the high-pitch noise you're asking about if the shift linkage is forcing pressure on the parts while it's in fwd gear.